Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I'VE GOT A BEEF!"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "I'VE GOT A BEEF!"

    Notice that's "I've got a beef, not where's the beef?" I seldom gripe about things, especially Woodcarving Illustrated. I've had a superscription to the magazine for 20 if not more years. I've been a contributor to the magazine plus a lucky contestant winner once or twice. When the forum was hacked and only performed less than a satisfactory , I stuck with it. When Shannon Flowers left and then Bob Ducan I still hung on to my subscription. But recently WCI pulled a sneaky that I don't appreciate. Not long ago they offered the small carving booklet, "Weekend Whittling Projects" by Sara Barraclough. It only had four caricatures in it and I was only interested in two of them. I carved my own version of the snail a number of years ago and I have my own method for carving penguins. However, I was interested in "Shrimpy" and the "Love You Very Much Bear!" So I sent my $7.99 and postage to W.C.I. and received the small booklet in return. Then two days ago I received the Spring of 2020 issue of Woodcarving Illustrated and what's on the cover as a lead item but the "Love You Very Much Bear!" A surprise that I didn't appreciate too much. If the Sara Barraclough's booklet hadn't been printed by WCI then I could understand the duplicity. However, given that the booklet was printed by WCI, it shows extremely poor planning and lack of consideration to it's customers. Not long ago I renewed for two years with notification that the price of the magazine was increasing and immediate renewal would insure the old price. If WCI continues to duplicate in the frequency which occurred in this instance, I'll be thinking very carefully about continuation the next time around.

  • #2
    Eddy-Smiles, I agree with you, as a very new member and subscriber of the magazine, I too have noticed that they have changed and not for the ones that really support them. Sad too is the way the last issue was presented as it is most all advertisements and very little carving context. And I have already considered on my re-subscribing? Glad you spoke up I just wish and hope someone of means will notice.
    Chuck
    Chuck
    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

    https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
      Eddy-Smiles, I agree with you, as a very new member and subscriber of the magazine, I too have noticed that they have changed and not for the ones that really support them. Sad too is the way the last issue was presented as it is most all advertisements and very little carving context. And I have already considered on my re-subscribing? Glad you spoke up I just wish and hope someone of means will notice.
      Chuck
      To put the statement about the last issue being "most all advertisements and very little carving content" into a little historical perspective, I compared this issue from one I pulled at random from the past, which happened to be the Spring 2004 magazine.

      The current issue has 96 pages, of which 13.5 pages are ads, which is 14%. The Spring 2004 issue had 105 pages, of which 20 were ads, for 19%. So the current issue has less advertising percentage-wise than 16 years ago. Other issues will no doubt vary, but this is fact.

      On a personal note, I read many ads with as much interest as the articles...always interested in looking at our "tools of the trade."

      WCI sponsors this site, which I consider a real asset. May I suggest that we not bite the hand that feeds us?
      Last edited by Arthur C.; 02-06-2020, 08:55 PM. Reason: Typo
      Arthur

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm inclined to agree with Eddy on this one. When I first started my subscription back in 2008 I couldn't wait until the next issue arrived , ...now it's just another catalog .
        My current subscription runs until mid 2021, and already I've received an "offer" to renew it for up to 5 years so as to avoid increased shipping cost. It would seem to me if they can continue to ship to me at the current rate if I were to renew, then they should be able to ship at the same rate regardless.
        As it stands now, I think I'll wait a while before renewing.
        My little rant for the day...
        Soggy
        If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

        Comment


        • #5
          For the most part I been satisfied with the content. The free ones are usually the patterns from previous issues and are packed into one book. The ones you get when you renew for 2 years. I just did the 5 year renewal at the old rate so now I wont have to do it again until 2027. I don't mind some advertisements, they pay to do it which keeps our cost down. They also have web sites listed for our convienience. We also have this forum. Just my .02 cents.
          Carve On,
          Kadiddle

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, I just renewed for two years. I'm not really impressed with most of the content as it seldom touches on areas of carving that interest me, but there is the occasional gem. I renewed mostly because...well, come to think of it,I didn't have a good reason, I just didn't want to cut the cord, so to speak, and the magazine's revenue funds this site, which I enjoy.
            Arthur

            Comment


            • #7
              I decided not to renew. I tend to get my ideas from seeing a picture and then carving my own take on it and it seems that most of the projects in the magazine can be found online weeks or months before they show up in the magazine. I believe all of Sara Barraclough's projects had been on Instagram under her Clevercarver name months or years before showing up in the mag and I have done my own versions of several of them.
              I think it is a fine magazine and although it did seem the ads were increasing that is just the way that printed magazines are going these days. It would be a shame to see this forum go but since it is down to just a few regular contributors I doubt it will be around much longer anyway.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Soggy View Post
                I'm inclined to agree with Eddy on this one. When I first started my subscription back in 2008 I couldn't wait until the next issue arrived , ...now it's just another catalog .
                My current subscription runs until mid 2021, and already I've received an "offer" to renew it for up to 5 years so as to avoid increased shipping cost. It would seem to me if they can continue to ship to me at the current rate if I were to renew, then they should be able to ship at the same rate regardless.
                As it stands now, I think I'll wait a while before renewing.
                My little rant for the day...
                Soggy
                Soggy.... You've been a member of this forum only slightly less than myself. And we both know how frustrating it was when the old forum died and WCI's attempts at resurrecting it and/or building a completely new frame around the old data. Most of us lost all the photo's that we'd posted plus members never knew if their posts went through or if you were going to be able to log in the next time you tried. I think that those of us who stuck with WCI through those times (and many quit) have earned our meritorious medal for patience and loyalty.

                My beef isn't with the folks who host the forum or even any of the folks at WCI. My beef is with a business practice that I feel is unfair to WCI's customers. I don't expect a reply or an apology. The main purpose of my complaint was to let them know that I didn't appreciate them selling a special booklet one month and then coming out a month or two later with 1/4 of the booklet's value repeated in their magazine.

                When I renewed a subscription in the past I've renewed for the maximum offer. My reason for only renewing for two years this go around is the same reason that "I don't buy green bananas." With my health issues I don't know if I'll be around to enjoy the two years, never mind 3 or 5. My wife and I talked it over and we decided that two years was all we are willing to invest in as when I leave for the great carving club in the sky she will have no use for WCI herself.

                And I also feel very much the same as Arthur. Most of the work featured in WCI has little interest to me. I spend as much time reading the ads and day dreaming about what I'd like but certainly don't need as I do reading the articles. To tell the truth, the only reason I keep subscribing is for the feeling of connection to the carving world.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jjmg View Post
                  I decided not to renew. I tend to get my ideas from seeing a picture and then carving my own take on it and it seems that most of the projects in the magazine can be found online weeks or months before they show up in the magazine. I believe all of Sara Barraclough's projects had been on Instagram under her Clevercarver name months or years before showing up in the mag and I have done my own versions of several of them.
                  I think it is a fine magazine and although it did seem the ads were increasing that is just the way that printed magazines are going these days. It would be a shame to see this forum go but since it is down to just a few regular contributors I doubt it will be around much longer anyway.
                  JJ... Ain't I a dumb a%$! If I'd known that Sara had previously posted all that on a website I never would have bought the booklet in the first place. Thanks for the info! I guess if I'd spent any time at all perusing the web I'd have known about it.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X