Knife sharpening

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

Dileon..... The compound for the buffing pads has a wax base which sticks, unlike the compound for the leather strop. But it still takes a second or so for the bar to heat up and the wheel to accept the compound. I apply new compound each time I use the wheel. I've bought the green compound from Smoky Mountain Wood Carvers; gray and white from Harbor Freight; and black from Highway Shine. I like the green as my go to compound but Helvie Knives touts their White bar. I have a hard coated buffing wheel and that what I use the black on and mostly just for stainless steel knives where it takes something more aggressive to put an edge on them.
    I hate trying to get compound on as most of it ends up in the air, stuck on my face and all over the bench....when I look at the buffy pad it seem like so little sticks. I hate waste compound everywhere. I am going to heat up the buff pad next time with my heat gun prehaps I will have more success. Also have to find out which is which....wax or plastic, did not know they had different mediums......think I been using the compounds for stropping on some of my buffying pads.... . But I got a big collection of compounds so...time to smell it like Brian suggested. Man there is so much learn .....by the time I get it all.....learned ....it will be time to go into the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post

I hate trying to get compound on as most of it ends up in the air, stuck on my face and all over the bench....when I look at the buffy pad it seem like so little sticks. I hate waste compound everywhere. I am going to heat up the buff pad next time with my heat gun prehaps I will have more success. Also have to find out which is which....wax or plastic, did not know they had different mediums......think I been using the compounds for stropping on some of my buffying pads.... . But I got a big collection of compounds so...time to smell it like Brian suggested. Man there is so much learn .....by the time I get it all.....learned ....it will be time to go into the ground.
      I have a 2' x 2' sheet of 1/4" plywood that I prop up behind my buffing wheel whenever I go to use it. All that excess compound ends up on the plywood and on the bench. It sticks to the plywood and I just vacuum it off the bench every other century!

Comment

Working...
      X