WCI 44: Teaching Kids to Carve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCI 44: Teaching Kids to Carve

Here is a place to discuss the article on Jim Calder and the way he teaches kids to carve.

Woodcarving Illustrated - Fall 2008 Issue #44

Bob

Re: WCI 44: Teaching Kids to Carve

I found this very interesting. I have used potatoes to help young kids with carving but didn't know that sweet potatoes were better.

I teach carving to kids using woodwork tools - mallets, chisles and files on aircrete blocks. They love it. One kid once said, 'But isn't this what Michaeangelo does?'

Carrie Yuen website: Sculpture 4 Schools - The Exciting, Hands On, 3D Art Experience
    (Chainsaw carvings) Carrie Yuen, Artist

Comment

I teach kids that express an interest to whittle flowers (I emphasize not using folding knives).
      What is this triangle method of making a face that is mentioned?

brother william
      brother william Carvings

Comment

I have been teaching children to carve on soap this summer and they really seem to enjoy it. I am at Mohican Wilderness Campgrounds near Loudonville, Oh. Use the popsicle sticks and they work great. I make up a kit with a bar of Ivory soap, knife and chisel, piece of paper towel for sandpaper, toothpick for detailing, spray paint beaded pin heads black for the eyes and a pattern. Use paper plates to carve on so when the plate gets full we just dump the shavings in a bag and start with a clean slate.

We have done, Owls, Dog, Cat, Pine Tree, Horse head, Fish, Snowman, in the round. Flower relief carving.

Comment

Jim's triangle method is demonstrated on the 2 pages following the article. Page 42 & 43. He uses a series of triangles to create the face.

Comment

Hello Carrie,

I see you're a new member. Welcome!

You have an impressive body of work and it's nice to see what you're doing to introduce at to children.
            Ron T.
            http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon View Post
              Jim's triangle method is demonstrated on the 2 pages following the article. Page 42 & 43. He uses a series of triangles to create the face.

Hi Shannon, thanks for the article on woodcarving for children in the latest issue. I have just started to teach my young nephew some carving, he's 11. It couldn't come at a better time.

Comment

awesome, thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                X