Box store wood quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box store wood quality?

Is the wood you get at Lowes I.e.oak, mahogany, cherry, pine,and poplar good carving wood or should I stay away from it? Thanks!

Re: Box store wood quality?

I bought some maple boards for a wall hanger project. The wood is very nice quality, but only available in nominal 1\" boards or less, and very pricey. I would hate to have to pay those prices to get carving size blocks of wood.

Comment

I look at the line at Lowes or Home Depot. I like really grainy wood and if I see a piece I grab it. Of course, I look in between the knots. But the knots don t bother me at all since I carve right through them. Same with the straightness of the board. I can get a lot of Whittlebears from one piece of 5/4x4x8 ft.

Red oak is great for tool handles. Aspen is pretty good for carving ornaments, caricatures, etc.

If the size suits what you need, and the price fits your wallet, there s nothing wrong with the wood if you like the piece you pick out.

Bob L

Comment

Originally posted by Steev View Post
        I bought some maple boards for a wall hanger project. The wood is very nice quality, but only available in nominal 1\\\" boards or less, and very pricey. I would hate to have to pay those prices to get carving size blocks of wood.
        Thanks Steev for the info.

Comment

Thanks Bob apprieciate the info. I\'ll probably try some different pieces other than basswood.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

I have been known to buy western red cedar fenceposts and WRC 5/4 deck boards for carving. Some days, I buy nothing. When the cutting maximizes the yield from a log, there\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s likely to be a lot of tilted/rising grain which can be carved in only one direction = not worth it.

I look for straight grain, enough wood between the knots for the carving and a ring count of 12-40/inch. More than that is hard, less than that is useless, punky, soft, no matter how well honed my tool are.

Species: besides WRC, I really like carving birch and also aspen. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve carved Yellow Cedar at $6.99/bft. Many people like the aromatic scent, I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t particularly care for it.

Before I forget: I got the most milage out of explaining to the store people that was hunting for carving wood. Often invited to sort through as much of the pile as I needed!
              Last edited by Brian T; 02-06-2016, 04:33 PM.
              Brian T

Comment

I recently used some poplar from Lowes as the background wood for a large relief - along with some 50 year old walnut from a bookshelf. On this background I applied cutouts of walnut and basswood to be carved. In a very short time the poplar warped (cupped) at least an inch in a span of 12 inches in spite of hardwood strips applied to the back. I had to apply much stronger backing strips to bring it into line.

Comment

There\'s a chain of wood stores in Canada called \"Windsor Plywood.\" They have 80+ different species in stock, all sorts of sizes.

I haven\'t printed them yet but I\'ve finished a bunch of wood-cuts.
                  The best really flat wood that I found is known as \"drawer side\" in the cabinet trade. 1/2\" thick and 6\" wide. Aspen or poplar, many boards have a distinctive green tunge to the wood. Inked, that doesn\'t matter. Very smooth surface and fun to carve with good detail.

Stays flat, too. I\'m using a 6\" brayer ($3 word for roller).
                  Brian T

Comment

Got into the city for the weekend. Went to Windsor to look at Yellow Cedar for a carving concept that I\'m tossing around in my bean.
                    Kinda/mostly 2-3\" thick, 4-6\" wide, 48-84\" long and all sawmill rough. I sorted through 20+ pieces for straight grain, knot free and any ring count that looked better than 20/inch. I explain what I\'m doing to the guys in the store and they leave me alone.

I found one single piece, 2\" x 6\" x 76\". $50.00 Same price/bdft as the far bigger, serious carving blocks that I\'ll never afford!
                    Some days, I walk out.
                    Brian T

Comment

Thanks, good info.

Comment

Thanks Steev.

Comment

Thanks Robson Valley

Comment