First knife suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First knife suggestions

Here is my take on knives: I bought a Murphy knife when I started carving in 1980. I now have a whole bunch of knives. The Murphy is my go to knife over all of the others. My next preference is a Shipley, now OCC or something like that. I have had several of the people I tutored buy a Murphy. All came relatively sharp, taking only a few strokes on my leather charged with Yellowstone to prepare them for carving. I told them start with this cheapest of good knives and acquire others as you get the feel of carving and buy them when you are able to actually carve with them. Many available at shows, or try one that someone else owns. As a last resort buy one by mail that has been recommended by someone on WCI. But, do this only after viewing their carvings to make sure both of you are doing the same type carving.

Comment

Well said Paul.
      Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Great thread.
        Thanks

Comment

I just want to make sure I am not buying something to big or small for that type of carving.
          It looks like a 1x1 basswood block is where I should start?

Comment

I can advise you to make purchases with good tools and many others where I recently bought a stripper for wood. It was only after purchasing the tool that I was able to finish my project. I was satisfied, it's nice to work with a good tool.
            Last edited by Albert12; 07-09-2020, 06:06 AM.

Comment

You won't stick with a 1" X 1" block for long so get a knife that will work later as a detail knife. I prefer the stronger tip of a Bench Knife style blade and I prefer the OCC knives in that size range of 1.25" to 1.5" blade, but you won't know what you prefer until you try a few. The suggestion about finding a club or at least another carver near you is very good advice to try a few different knives. For information I do most of my carving on anything over a 2" square chunk of wood with my 2.4" Mora 122, again I prefer the straight bench knife blade edge over a curved blade edge.

Comment

Originally posted by papasar View Post

I suggest a Murphy knife. It is fairly cheap and holds a good edge. I have a feeling more carvers start out with this knife than other knives.
                Bill K.
                I use a Murphy knife for cutting leather but find the blade a bit to thin for me for woodworking. They are very good knives for the price and hold their edge well.

Comment

I like the thinnest at times when finishing just my 2ยข
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                  X