• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Nomad
    Super Moderator Michigan

• Nomad
    replied
    Re: First knife suggestions

Can\'t argue with Bob\'s recommendation. Excellent knife and you won\'t have to sharpen it or reprofile the edge to begin with and the edge should last a long time by just stropping. Great recommendation.

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    Ramsey, NJ

• Bob K.
    replied

I would suggest a Helvie knife. They are beautiful custom made knives that come in all kinds of handle styles. Start with their Roughout Knife. It comes with a standard 2\" blade but you can request a 1 1/2\" blade (my recommendation). Holli and Rich Smithson, the owners, are very accommodating. And they come carving sharp! I have several Helvie knives that Rich custom made for me and I love them! A Helvie knife will run you about $37, but it is well worth it! It will last you a lifetime! The last thing you want to do is start out with a cheap knife that is dull or isn\'t comfortable in your hand. You can check out all of their knives at: http://www.helvieknives.com I highly recommend it!

Leave a comment:

• papasar

• papasar
    replied

I suggest a Murphy knife. It is fairly cheap and holds a good edge. I have a feeling more carvers start out with this knife than other knives.
    Bill K.

Leave a comment:

• mrpipster

• mrpipster
    replied

Well I am thinking a fixed blade knife would work best for me as it has a larger handle?
    I am confused with all the shapes out there though.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    Super Moderator Michigan

• Nomad
    replied

For a 1\" by 1\" block of wood, I think a blade length of 1\" to 1 1/2\" would work. So many good knives out there. If you can find a carving club or a carving show, you would have the opportunity to handle some knives to find what suits you. Of course, that can change over time as well.

Leave a comment:

• mrpipster

• mrpipster
    replied

Yea.
    I just want to make sure I am not buying something to big or small for that type of carving.
    It looks like a 1x1 basswood block is where I should start?

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    Senior Member - Ventura

• pallin
    replied

Answered already! I\\\'d suggest any knife, folding or fixed blade, that is comfortable in your hand and which you can keep really sharp.
    pallin
    Senior Member - Ventura
    Last edited by pallin; 03-06-2016, 04:54 PM. Reason: added text

Leave a comment:

• mrpipster

• mrpipster
    started a topic First knife suggestions

First knife suggestions

Hey everyone I am brand new to carving and need recomendations for a beginners knife.
    I am really interested in tree spirit carving\'s I see and that is where I will start my wood carving adventure.
    Thanks.
Working...
X