Hurricanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricanes

As of today, in Hawaii we have Madeline hurricane Cat 1 against the big island Hawaii,..... and Lester upgraded again to Cat 4 hurricane to hit us on Sunday. Florida got a storm changing into a hurricane. Florida is already getting ready for emergency. For everyone in the Gulf coast states....we know these hurricanes are totally not predictable and they do what they want, in spite of our super weather computers. Hurricanes can not be put into a science .... all I got to say is I hope your prepared for the very worst and it does not hit you. We in the islands....ha ha living on a prayer... as we have no where to run or leave. They say the president is here for a convention then perhaps, he will be able to get our disaster preparation upgraded to something acceptable, I am sure although....he will do a fast golf game and take presidential jet and be gone...but who knows. But to everyone out there in the wake of these storms,....I know how you feel,....this is not fun stuff wondering if you going to loose everything you own. I am ready continue to get ready.....but darn car broke down a week a go....so I am not happy camper about that one. Neighbors been busing me around.

Stay safe Di, we're all praying for you and you're fellow islanders that everything stays as uneventful as possible. Not a great position to be in for anyone.

Tinwood

Comment

1608301921-Major-Hurricane-Headed-toward-Hawaii.jpgThis was yesteday pic of Madeline ....she is a big one but as she hits the island mountains she will down grade. This is weather channel pic.....I love science.

Comment

For anyone who does not know about this website ....it is awesome in my book. Windyty turn off the radio and watch what is happening in your neighbor or around the world. You can see clearly wind direction and speed
        , rain, clouds, pressure, temp. and ect. This is what I check when looking at the weather....right now that is hurricanes.
        Weather forecasts are boring. Ivo – developer, pilot and a kite surfer from Czech Republic decided to do something about it. He used an open source code from the Earth project and developed Windyty – one of those websites where you can lose a lot of time just staring and trying new views.

The project is essentially a map of winds you can choose to overlay with weather conditions such as humidity and pressure zones. The map is minimalistic, no cities or roads, but click on the map and you get a detailed local forecast of the spot you are looking at. You can also zoom in up to the street level to get more details, but the map looks best in a smaller scale.

Comment

Hi Dileon
          Where I live we get a few hurricanes every year about this time and into late October, usually they have done there thing to the US Atlantic coast and by the time it hits us it down graded to a tropical storm that can still do a lot of damage to our apple crops, by being sixty miles from the Atlantic coast we usually don't get a direct hit ,we still have a threat of major winds coming up the Bay of Fundy which is only about 15 miles from me.
          I am one of those people who heeds the weather warnings and is prepared for the worst.Hang in there and ride out the storm
          Bruce

Comment

Stay safe, Di. Our prayers are with you and your fellow islanders.
            Keep On Carvin'
            Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Right now it is semi sunny, rainy off and on....no results from the storm. The hurricane appears to hit the mountains on the big island, and really falling apart. They are getting pounded by major rain.....they say about 18 inches perhaps today?

Comment

Di, what island are you on? Please stay safe.

Comment

I am on Oahu,.....we did not get anything from Hurricane Madeline although she did flood parts of the big islands, she fell apart at arrival. Lester is headed up the island chain??.....that is if the hurricane does not run into us. We are still waiting to see the results, they said do not worry it is getting weaker, but it just intensified again to a major hurricane ....it is at a Cat 3 and everyone is praying it goes down to a one....but we will see. They are saying Saturday but we never get the timing right. Thing is the last two years it has been beyond nuts about hurricanes, everyone in the islands feel like we in this big hurricane pin ball machine....I spend tons of time......getting ready, cleaning up, ....all I want to do is get in the shop and carve.
                  Last edited by Dileon; 09-01-2016, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Any more in the pipeline after Lester? Hopefully he heads north!!

Comment

Thanks Dileon for sharing Windyty. I'm a weather buff and like stuff like this.

One feature I like from the National Weather Service is the weather story. It's a quick graphical image that shows you what is going on in your area. It doesn't seem they have it for all states yet, but hopefully will. http://www.weather.gov/crh/weatherstory?sid=pub&embed= Click the dropdown that says change office to see if they have one near you.

Comment

Originally posted by fiddlesticks View Post
                        Thanks Dileon for sharing Windyty. I'm a weather buff and like stuff like this.
                        Thank you so much on the links..... I am also....a weather buff.....and more. Been research things like this and other disasters ....since I had a few jobs at hospitals on safety twenty years ago. I had major disaster training for over a year or so....scary stuff about what really happens. But I have continued reading and keeping up in this area. It is sad that today.....we let the public be stupid, and uneducated as a whole on the area of safety. But weather science is still unknown and still a major guessing game. These meteorologist and watching them throw in their bets around the world and their super computer still do not show what will happen. It is awesome that you can see this stuff for yourself and not take any ones word for it...and make sound decisions. I love new sites that can help me do that. I have gotten bad over the years...for example.....Earthquake on Everest....and I am on it....how many people dead, how many injured, and how did it happened.... read, and research....my night time hobby when I am in pain and in bed.

LOL I figure my past time is more progressive then shooting at Pokeman.

Comment

I think I just destroyed the post on Windyty.....My favorites sites right now are the spaghetti models, Weather channel, Underground weather channel which is major growing,...NOAA is ok but hard to get the whole picture. Can you tell I am procrastinating, Lester is coming Saturday evening ....and it is time to load the inside house with all the lawn furniture,....since I spend all my time outside....I got tons of it. As I mumble I am too old for this dog poo.

Comment

Looks like Lester is turning away! Good sign...hope all is well, Dileon.

Comment

Lester skated past us to close for comfort but did not cause any weather problems. Other then hauling all my lawn furniture back outside and clean up of getting ready which is major work.. But as soon as you begin to relax...... looks like we got two more possible new cyclones forming as NOAA is watching them.......near Mexico in the spot which we gain all our cyclones. Like I said....a pin ball machine. I will be dancing this year when hurricane season is over.

Comment

Working...
                              X