Stinky Water from my HE Washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stinky Water from my HE Washer

I know this isn't at all wood worker related but figured I'd add it to the off topic section just in case anyone else was familiar with this HE issue.

I'm not sure how many of you have HE ( high efficiency ) washing machines but for some reason the water that goes into the machine and comes out of the machine smells like swamp water. It's putrid!

The machine is a Magtag and was installed about 10 years ago by Home Depot.
    I've used those HE cleaners and use vinegar in each cycle but NOTHING seems to get rid of this smelly water.

I know this is a wood working site but wondered if any of you have come across this problem .

Or do you have any ideas what's causing this?

The hot water tank has been emptied. The gasket has been cleaned. This is the only place in our house that has water issues.

Is it time is call a plumber or do I call a washing machines repair guy?
    Last edited by Spiritwolfe; 09-10-2016, 12:33 PM.

Front loader? I also have a Maytag and hate it. Good thing it's on the class action list: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/cons...ettled-n609316 $50 is better than nothing. It's time for a top loader again for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
      Front loader? I also have a Maytag and hate it. Good thing it's on the class action list: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/cons...ettled-n609316 $50 is better than nothing. It's time for a top loader again for me.
      Well I'll be darned. No need to call a repair guy.
      Aren't these things horrible? Nothing like washing your clothes with stinky water.
      I actually have to put the washer on 'drain' before I do a load just to get rid of the stagnate foul water. Gosh! $50 is $50 but considering how much these things cost and the fact that this company 'knew' beforehand that they had a problem but launched their product anyway is terrible. But hey if you purchase another item off them you get 20% off. Who on earth would want to purchase another washer from the same company?
      What I would give to get my top loader back!
      I hate this thing also Michelle so feel your pain BUT I'm sooo relieved to finally realize it's not a plumbing issue.
      You're a little gem.
      Thank you

Comment

Do you have to give the washer back to get the $50 or is it just a ' no strings attached' rebate?
        Did you get yours yet and when did you discover this washer rebate news?

Comment

Do you have a filter system on your water supply before it goes to your to your water heater or cold water supply?, I use the same washer you have m we run a washer cleaner in it about every three months also using it on cold water cycle most of the time, we were away for three weeks this summer, before we went I dumped abouit three cups of bleach in an d left the door ajar while we away, on return just ran a clod water cycle to empty the bleach before washing any clothes
          .We also have very soft water not too many minerals in it
          Bruce

Comment

No strings attached, as far as I know. I got a couple notices in the mail because I sent in my registration when I purchased the washer. There's a link to "file a claim" in that article, but I don't what proof of purchase you need.

Comment

Another thing that can get pretty stinky/crudy is the lint trap. I cleaned mine for the first time ever a few months ago....ugh. Sludge, coins, a sock, oh and the SMELL! I didn't even know it was there, so quite the surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
                Do you have a filter system on your water supply before it goes to your to your water heater or cold water supply?, I use the same washer you have m we run a washer cleaner in it about every three months also using it on cold water cycle most of the time, we were away for three weeks this summer, before we went I dumped abouit three cups of bleach in an d left the door ajar while we away, on return just ran a clod water cycle to empty the bleach before washing any clothes
                .We also have very soft water not too many minerals in it
                Bruce
                Yes but it needs replacing. I use those cleaners at least every two months.
                We have a water softener now because we have hard well water that's really rough on appliances which I thought was the problem. We prematurely ditched our top loader because that was the problem. The lines were getting corroded . Nothing some vinegar or CLR wouldn't take care of but we didn't know. We now have soft water and our appliances work much better.
                It seems that water sits in the pipes and goes stagnant. I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this. Not that you have had to go through the same frustration but at least it's not a serious plumbing problem.

The bleach idea was smart. I'll keep that one in mind.

Thanks Bruce

Comment

Another thing that can get pretty stinky/crudy is the lint trap. I cleaned mine for the first time ever a few months ago....ugh. Sludge, coins, a sock, oh and the SMELL! I didn't even know it was there, so quite the surprise.
                  You were smarter than I was. I didn't register my washer drier that I remember and if we got something from may-tag it probably got thrown out. thats ok, I'll sell it.

And yes I only just discovered that lint trap a few months back. There were 3 socks, and some other gross stuff in there. What a shock that is huh? LOL! I can't believe you guys have been through the same thing.
                  What a relief.
                  Seriously : thanks.

Comment

Maybe Home Depot can print out a history for you? Heck, it's $50....worth a shot!

Comment

Maybe Home Depot can print out a history for you? Heck, it's $50....worth a shot!
                      Absolute fabulous idea. We got it through their line of credit so it's filed away.

YEsssss! I want my $50. ... Lol

Yep! You're a smart one.

Comment

Hey Michelle. On further investigation look what I found.

http://nbc4i.com/2016/06/27/settleme...-washers-case/

A $500 rebate. Check it out. You probably qualify.

Comment

Nice! Too bad I didn't have mine repaired or replaced! Did you?

Comment

YES! I'm having mine replaced . I haven't read the entire article but I'm going to talk to Home Depot and see what they will do to help get me a $500 rebate. If it means I have to purchase a new machine from them then I'll forget it; sell this one and buy a top loader. They just work better.

Comment

We bought an HE Samsung, front loader several years ago. Went to Samsung because both of our sons had them and loved them. We bought ours at Lowe's from a salesmen who had the same machine. He had three pieces of advice that worked well. First get one of the stand that lifts the machine up a foot or two. Second leave the door on the washing machine open. Third clean that drain/filter on a regular basis.We have been doing all three, have had the machine about four years, and would purchase the same machine if something happened to this one. The clothes come out of the washer almost dry, which speeds drying in both the dryer and one the clothes line. This is a direct drive with a ten year warranty on it. We had gone through several top loaders when the last one, which was direct drive, gave out. Pricey though!

Comment

Working...
                              X