Organic Living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Living

Do any of you eat organically? If so do you grow your own veggies ?
    How to you store them? Canning? Root seller?
    Or do you pay those outrageous prices for organic foods?

I am not sure why I never checked into this before but I've recently discovered that we have many organic farms where we live. Many of them have programs where you can pick up or have a basket of fresh organic fruits and veggies delivered to you weekly for a very reasonable price.

I'm a nutritionist by trade and love to cook from scratch and this year have actually considered building a 4 season greenhouse that is run strictly by solar energy so that I may extend my growing season.

I'd very much like to start living more resourcefully and independently.

Anybody else into living an old fashioned way of life?

Not me. I eat as much junk as I possibly can.
    Last edited by Michelle; 10-04-2016, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
      Not me. I eat as much junk as I possible can.
      Haha. Well you're not alone , whereas I think I AM on this one. I've even got my own herb garden.lol

Comment

I think it's cool. I could see doing a giant garden if I were more in to food.

Comment

I have an incredible weed garden. Totally organic too.
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad View Post
            I have an incredible weed garden. Totally organic too.
            Organic weeds good !

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
              I think it's cool. I could see doing a giant garden if I were more in to food.
              I'm really into food and enjoy cooking. They do seem to go hand in hand. Plus growing your own food saves money too. I like that part a lot.

Comment

I used to grow my veg but couldn't find the time last two years.
                So better taste than what you buy... fresh green peas...yum !

Comment

I let my garden space go this year. I pay $15/week for quite an assortment of certified organic farm vegetables delivered to my door each week.
                  Peas and radishes were early, replaced by carrots and green beans. . . . as the season goes along.
                  Lots of pumpkin & squash now, potatoes, turnips. beets, beet greens etc.
                  Then, there's quite a long list of add-ons and herbs.
                  I don't think that it's cost effective to get organized to do 2-3 weeks canning & freezing. But, each to their own.

I buy local bison and barter some of that for pork, elk, moose, venison & bear. I buy local lamb. I can buy local eggs as I need. I shoot game birds.
                  I bake almost all of my bready & pizza things.

> How about focaccia baguettes with pizza sauce, green pepper strips and a venison pepperoni down the middle?

I planted my first grape vines in 2001. Never sprayed with anything in all these years except water. Chickadees and Juncos work everyday to eat all the bugs.
                  Pickers spent yesterday in the sunshine, cleaning off the big vines that shade the west side of my house in the summer (14' high, 40' long).
                  Quite a sight with the snow-capped mountains all around us. Less than 40lbs per vine.

Having lived in cities both large and small, I think this whole food barter/buy thing is easier to do in the village (pop maybe 600).
                  Last edited by Brian T; 10-04-2016, 07:19 PM.
                  Brian T

Comment

I used to have a large organic garden. I agree that it isn't really cost effective, with the watering and putting food up. I also agree the taste is not matched with store bought. I wasn't into canning. I dried everything. A lot of things can be put up by turning them into wine...Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by copeau View Post
                      I used to grow my veg but couldn't find the time last two years.
                      So better taste than what you buy... fresh green peas...yum !
                      They do taste far better but it certainly is a lot of work. There's nothing quite like freshly grown veggies. Tomatoes actually look and taste like tomiatoes should.

Comment

It isn't cost effective if you are comparing bargain brand at your local grocery store to fully homemade organic . If you went to a Mennonite or Amish farmers market or health food store and compared prices, then it is a lot cheaper.
                        And think how much prices go up during the winter because stuff has to be imported so you are paying for that additional expense. If you had a 4 season greenhouse as well as a root cellar you could save. With a passive / solar greenhouse you collect rain and snow to water your plants. Imagine growing all your own veggies all winter when they cost the most. How would you not save money?
                        What i like the most about it is that you know exactly what's in your food. I find that very comforting.

Hey RV, you sound like quite the outdoorsman.

Is there a sappy and a soggy here ?

Comment

HI SW
                          I am not into the organic things as I will not likely live five minutes longer by going that route, I know half my life in behind me as my 74 th birthday is getting closer, so why change now when $$$$ are harder to find and good whisky is called rare
                          Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
                            HI SW
                            I am not into the organic things as I will not likely live five minutes longer by going that route, I know half my life in behind me as my 74 th birthday is getting closer, so why change now when $$$$ are harder to find and good whisky is called rare
                            Bruce
                            I realize it's not for everybody. It's a lot of work for sure. I have a rare metabolic disorder. My body can't break down certain things, especially chemical laden foods and purchasing all organic is outrageously expensive.

I've gotta admit that some of you people amaze me. 74 years of age and still ambitious to carve to your hearts desire is truly inspiring.

The orher day someone mentioned they were in their 80's and still woodworking .
                            Its humbling.

Comment

Aw 74 the good old days
                              . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                              X