No announcement yet.

Organic Living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Middle Age", live to the century mark I wish I could convince this 77 year old carcass of some of that. It listens to my Doc, "Paul, you lived an active life and have simply worn out most of the joints in your body".

Anywho, I did not quit gardening because of physical problems. As my frien' Squarebriggs is fond of reminding me, "Paul, there is a price to pay for living in paradise." One penalty I face is wildlife. The critters won! The last year I had a large garden the deer ate everything! They even gnawed the okra stalks down to the ground. I will admit eating organically when I got my okra back all-be-it in the form of roasts, steaks and deerburger.

These days I limit my gardening to whiskey barrels on the porch 16 of them. My main concentration is herbs, mustard greens, peppers and tomatoes. I grow one "heritage" tomato that supplies my needs for the salads and tomato sandwiches.

The plants pictured are "Sweet Million" and are extremely difficult to find. I grew some from seeds and then found an on-line source for "bare-root" plants sent via USPS and survival guaranteed. I was skeptical, but the guaranty worked. I lost count but the possibility of 500 tomatoes per plant was not in jest. The only thing is that these are super sweet. Not good for cooking too sweet for this Cajun; but "oh the eatin'!" Wonderful in salads and a snack every time I pass through the kitchen several hours after pickin'. I gorge as I pick!

I have forsaken canning and use two methods of preservation freezing and drying. The requirement for blanching has been exposed as a myth. I put beans, peas and corn straight into the deep freeze and it does well. But, my main methodology is drying. The dehydrator starts running in late spring and never gets put away until the herbs go into hibernation okra, chili pepper, jalapeno, grapes, tomato, onion and a dozen or so types of herbs. Oh yes and sassafras leaves are in the dehydrator now and it will run until I have at least a pint or so. For those of you not lucky enough to be born a C... A.. uhhh Cajun; we know dried, ground sassafras as Gumbo Filé. The necessary ingredient for a dish I prepare at least once a month chicken, squirrel, fish, crab, crawfish, sausage, rabbit, oyster. Yep, you will seldom meet a skinny Cajun or one who does not fully believe he is a natural as a chef!

Sorry about the duplicate photo but cannot figure out how to delete it. See next post.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul_Guraedy; 10-08-2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Here is the replacement for the duplicates above
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
        This is Canadian Thanksgiving weekend coming up. Got company coming.
        Expect the organic garden people with my veg order today.
        Will run a BIG chicken Sunday through the smoker BBQ with a rub and applewood. Just out of the freezer.
        Just might try some weird fries and bake an orange pumpkin in big slabs with butter/b.sugar & cinnamon.
        I think they'd eat mashed potatoes if such muck was put in front of them.

papasar: just show up. room for WCI carvers at my table.
        Yep! You can cook mighty fine I'd reckon.
        Your flavour combinations are impressive indeed.

Wishing you a fabulous Thanksgiving holiday RV. I'm sure your company will be very pleased with their meals. There's much to be thankful for.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Guraedy View Post
          Here is the replacement for the duplicates above
          Paul. I am jealous of your cooking set up. You've got one of those awesome cooking wood stoves. THOSE are a true JOY to cook with.

AND you have a proper dehydrator. You've got this down to an art; pantry and all.

Freezing and dehydrating. Perfect!

I only blanch my tomatoes to take the skins off and I only do that while making a huge batch of tomato sauce.

Thanks for sharing your pics and food ideas. It's most inspiring.

Comment

I spotted a Revere Ware pan on Paul's stove- I have a kitchen full and will only cook on Revere or cast iron. As for the Sweet Million, I grow a similar variety called Spoon, heirloom tomatoes grow in clusters like grapes each about the size of your pinky fingernail and loaded with flavor. Being an heirloom they breed true.

I freeze some things raw, shredded zucchini, currant tomatoes onions all worked well so far. Paste tomatoes I roast then freeze (skin on seeds removed). I also make thick saauce- tom pep onion garlic mush roasted with olive oil salt and basil, skin the peppers throw it all in the blender and freeze when cool. I grew all but the peppers and mushrooms this year, will add peppers to the garden next year. anybody got a favorite short season pepper?

Buffalo Bif
            www.bflobif.com

Comment

Mornin' Buffalo Bif, This is my compliment of woodstove cookery with the exception of quite a few different size and styles of skillets. We do not use the wood cook stove in the summer way too much heat. In the winter it is wonderful both keeps us warm and is perfect for many of the Cajun dishes I cook gumbos, etoufees, creoles, jamabalayas bisques, stews.

Most of the cast iron has been inherited by Diana and I from both sides of our family. The cook stove was in an antique store and Diana asked the price. The lady thought a moment and then named a price that we were thinking over. Then she said, "That thing has been taking up space for far too long. Six hundred and it's yours!" It's ours!

Later we learned that her husband had failed to tell her he wanted it for his hunting cabin. He had actually named her store, "You and Your Antiques" so you can imagine how much sympathy he garnered.
              Attached Files

Comment

$600 you got a steal of a deal. I'd be tickled pink to own one of those. To me that's a step beyond fine dining. You just can't replicate the flavour of woodstove cooked meals. The added flavour of applewood with some dishes just has to be experienced.

When I first moved to the country I took a job as a full time cook for a pair of opera singers and they had one of the bigger versions of these. I fell in love with it .

I've often thought about how people survived back when these were all they had and I've definitely got an additional appreciation for the lifestyle they had to endure. Cooking on that stove would be pure bliss in the heart of winter but would be horrible in the middle of summer.

Cast iron is a healthy wise choice for sure. It's pure and the added minerals you get from the cast iron are pure. You can't get better.

Now I'm envious of your woodstove set up and Bruce's cute work shop. Lol
                Last edited by Spiritwolfe; 10-13-2016, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X