Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian T
    replied
    Punch a hole in the wall. They go out and feed themselves.

I want to see their little travel cages. Walnut shells with a hole and a mesh door?
    There's a gigantic (8'?) yellow flower on the outside wall of Science World in Vancouver, BC.
    The hole in the middle leads into a big transparent beehive inside the exhibit area. Fairly cool.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Nomad View Post

LOL! Maybe someday bees will replace cats and dogs as the favorite home pet. Much cheaper to feed.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied
    Originally posted by GregGerard View Post
    Thanks for those links, Terry. I didn't know they were doing that. Really neat stuff... I can see the bees now with there little tiny leashes at the airports sniff'n luggage.
    LOL! Maybe someday bees will replace cats and dogs as the favorite home pet. Much cheaper to feed.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    Thanks for those links, Terry. I didn't know they were doing that. Really neat stuff... I can see the bees now with there little tiny leashes at the airports sniff'n luggage.
    Hahahaha! Priceless! The entertainment here is great. Lol

Leave a comment:

• GregGerard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied

Yes, mostly Yellow Jackets(its like I rang a diner bell sometimes) but for sure I had carpenter bees and regular type bees check the fish out, they may be coming for the fresh water though...or for the company, I talk to them of course
    It's really interesting that they show a preference. Insects in general have pretty amazing sensory functions and in the past few years, there's been a lot of research around using bees to detect drugs and bombs. It's kind of old news and most folks have probably heard about this but here are a couple links.

Researchers at a German university have successfully trained honey bees to tell the difference between heroin and cocaine - what else can bees do?

Scientists in Hertfordshire are developing a new bomb detecting technology using bees. The honeybees are being trained to sniff out explosives, Stuart Leithe...

Leave a comment:

• GregGerard
    replied

That's pretty interesting Greg. Nice observation. Were they by any chance Yellow Jackets? I know they are attracted to meat.
    Yes, mostly Yellow Jackets(its like I rang a diner bell sometimes) but for sure I had carpenter bees and regular type bees check the fish out, they may be coming for the fresh water though...or for the company, I talk to them of course
    Last edited by GregGerard; 10-15-2016, 06:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied
    I have been enjoying this thread as well. I don't know much about bees but I do know they love Red Drum. Whenever I am cleaning one they show up real quick to help me out. Once in awhile they'll help with filleting flounder and other fish but they love red drum.. Its a sweeter meat.
    That's pretty interesting Greg. Nice observation. Were they by any chance Yellow Jackets? I know they are attracted to meat.

Leave a comment:

• GregGerard
    replied
    I have been enjoying this thread as well. I don't know much about bees but I do know they love Red Drum. Whenever I am cleaning one they show up real quick to help me out. Once in awhile they'll help with filleting flounder and other fish but they love red drum.. Its a sweeter meat.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Nah. Just stale. Mostly crumbs.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiritwolfe View Post
    So you are EXPIRED? Lol
    It wasn't actually a question RV. Lol

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied

Wow. ! That's really something.
    It's a job. I've been in academia long enough to know that it has it's good points and bad points, good people, and bad people, just like any other job. And I'm looking forward to retirement.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
    Take Nomad's word for it. He's still fresh, I'm ten years beyond my Best Before date after 31 years in the university biology trenches.
    So you are EXPIRED? Lol

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied

Grand Valley State University in Michigan.
    Wow. ! That's really something.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied

Almost 30 years of teaching biology? Wow! That's impressive.,
    Do you teach high school , collage or university?
    Grand Valley State University in Michigan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X