Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michelle View Post

. And that, my friend, is priceless.
    No truer words were ever stated. Priceless indeed.
    Thank you my friend. (hugs)

Comment

Nikki, say something today and thought of you "Family in like fudge, sweet, but might have some nuts in it"
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Florence 057.JPG

I feel very lucky to be part of a family with frequent get-togethers, sometimes birthdays or other milestones, but often camp-outs. Three years ago my sons suggested a backpack trip into a familiar part of the Sierra Nevada mountains, to include most of the grandkids and the wives that felt "up to it." It was actually the 50th anniversary of the first family backpack trip that my immediate family had taken, to the same location - Florence Lake. It was a multi-day trip and our packs were heavy. At age 80 it almost killed me! But it turned out wonderful and memorable for us all.

Comment

You all are very fortunate. I have my brother and my two kids, both married, and a D2 has twin grand sons, just 3 yrs last week.
          We have some really good times.
          I went to some "Family Reonions." (pay attention to the spelling).
          Got maybe 10(?) cousins, mostly too drunk, angry and beligerant to pass the time of day with. . . . so I don't.
          Some years back, I needed to explain that to their parents, my aunts and uncles, they angry because I told the truth.
          Brian T

Comment

Well Joe, I'm considered the nut in my family but I'm ok with that. I'm not a drunk or dangerous nut so they should consider themselves lucky.

Pallin, You're a lucky man. That's a fine looking family who are able and willing to meet up often. You should be proud.

RV - Family reonions! Lol ! They're so good they make you cry?

There are no drunks in our family except for my mom and my significant other but he's been sober for 21 years now, which is a long time. I don't drink at all either. Maybe I should start? LOL!
            To be honest I don't think my family has anything to complain about but I've got one of those families where nothing's ever good enough. Maybe we all have one of those.
            I DO love my family very much. I'm constantly showing them acts of kindness and compassion. I've just got one of those families that prefers to focus on the negative instead of the positive and I pray that I don't turn into a bitter old women.
            Maybe I am?
            Last edited by Spiritwolfe; 10-20-2016, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Families mean a lot when you don't have them anymore. Parents past, sister past, thought I was alone, but I found a 1/2 sister that I thought was just a rumor, but she's now only 6 hr away!. She had invited 2 of our cousins and myself up for a family gathering. Got to meet nephews I didn't know I had until 5 yrs ago. Cousins I had not see in over 40 years. Great to reconnect with family. Just heard from another cousin that I haven't heard from in 53 yrs...Planning a road trip in 2018 to get reacquainted with most of the cousins. Used to feel like a "lone wolf" myself, but because of a physical disability, not anger. Great feeling to be one of the pack. Good memories moving on, letting to of bad memories. Families ROCK!

Comment

Anger isn't the main emotion I felt being the lone wolfe nor the main reason for not visiting. It's not really something I'd like to expand on but I will add that some states of mind can be severely crippling and major depression is one of them. It's not a 'mood.' It's not even a choice. It can last for years and did.

Symptoms of depression and the progression of this mental health condition can vary from person to person, but there are some symptoms you should not ignore. Find out which symptoms are red flags.

Comment

Depression is a mental disorder and I've got my fair share of them , for which I 've spent a good portion of my life blaming my parents for. I'd dream about big family get togethers where everyone got along and for the longest time actually thought that's the way all family get togethers were.
                  With having no other relatives I didn't have much to go on until I got older.
                  I think I subconsciously blamed my parents for us having such a small family when it's just the way it was. It wasn't anyone's fault.
                  My reasoning for wanting the big family get togethers is that at least all the attention is diluted some. With so many personalities there , no ONE person stands out.
                  I used to think our family was so very different from others but I've soon discovered that I was wrong and have been wrong about many perceptions I've had. There aren't any active alcoholics in our family and everyone is civil towards one another. I think my mental disorders have tainted my perceptions of many things including my family. Seeing my family on Sunday was a beautiful thing that I'll cherish forever. It was wonderful being able to sit there and socialize with my family like other people do with theirs without panicking. The biggest reason for not seeing them more often was mainly due to my mental disorders which I've been ashamed o my entire life.
                  On Sunday I sat there proudly with the realization that I can't help my mental disorders any more than my parents can help walking without the need of a cane. The stigma towards mental disorder is gradually changing but it's only just changing.
                  Acceptance is a humbling experience. It was a break through for me and clearly an emotional one.

Comment

Tomorrow was our family Christmas gettogether . I was really looking forward to seeing our family together again. My mom called today and left a message saying my brothers house burned down. He 'had' a three story , 6 bedroom home , 3 bathrooms.
                    Apparently he was cooking in his garage and something was supposed to be on a timer and it apparently all blew up and burned his entire house down. Everyone is ok . Nobody got injured. Pets included. I think he's in a hotel right now with his family. Poor guy. Luckily he has house insurance and they will pay regardless of whether he was at fault or not.
                    It sures makes me grateful for my life.
                    Keep safe everyone.
                    Nikki
                    Last edited by Spiritwolfe; 01-06-2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X