Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

voting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • voting

    read an article the other day, some number crunchers got together and figured a candidate could win the US presidential election via electoral votes while receiving less than 30% of the popular vote.

    That seems a bit crazy to me.

    Of course it's unlikely or even impossible for circumstances to get that far out of whack, but in this day and age it annoys me that my vote might not actually count.
    Last edited by Buffalo Bif; 11-03-2016, 01:01 PM.
    Buffalo Bif
    www.bflobif.com

  • #2
    Hope for the best but expect anything!

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Brian
      You guys on the south side of the border seem to have a complex system of voting, being your neighbor to the north we are always interested in what happens in your country at election time,the results always have a bearing on how our economy goes, All I can say, I hope y'all do the right thing and vote !!!!
      Bruce

      Comment


      • #4
        Good, bad or indifferent, you have a choice of candidates. Some countries, only one to pick from.
        You do get to vote. Some countries, no voting.

        Stretched east and west, my major irritation is that our governments are sometimes elected after the polls close in Eastern Canada.
        I could vote for the Easter Bunny and have a bigger effect on the outcome.
        Brian T

        Comment


        • #5
          I've never failed to vote, but this year I'm . I'm sincerely concerned with both candidates. It seems like the stuff my wife cleans up in the back yard this time around
          . . .JoeB

          Comment


          • #6
            From where I sit, it looks like a lab rat experiment gone wrong. I really do wish you people well out of this.
            Brian T

            Comment


            • #7
              Hey Rv
              How do you think we feel in the east when all we have to vote for is some cowboy in a clown suit LOL

              Comment


              • #8
                My first vote was cast in 1960 I had to wait until I was 21 years old. Fortunately, I turned 21 a little over a month before election day. It was a proud day for me. For the first time I had become very interested in an election. Not just because I could vote; but because I was inspired by the speeches of America's last great orator. I have a record of JFK speeches and am still thrilled listening to them. "The torch has been passed ....", "We are not doing this because it is easy, rather ....", "Ask not what your country can do for you ....".

                I started political life as a democrat, became a republican in the 70's and was forced to become independent when the choice was Carter or Reagan. Been there ever since. I simply cannot agree with the positions of any of the political parties. I have voted only once for a candidate who "lost", I was for Gerald Ford. All of my other votes were cast not for the loser but against the winner.

                There have been 8 presidents during my adult life. The track record of my choice becoming president is 50/50. The first was assassinated, the second resigned under pressure, the third was impeached (though not found guilty) and finally the fourth served two terms without scandal

                Things have changed in the past 56 years and, unfortunately most of it is not making things better. I am sickened by the vitriol in today's politics. Elected officials claim support of the Constitution; but must not have read it based on what they ignore about it. How did we become divided into Democrats, Republicans, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Them versus Us? Are there no Americans left?

                Each election cycle I remember two people I admired very much, my Father and my favorite history professor, as I cast my ballot (and I have never missed voting). My Father once said, "I voted for ______ and he won. Since, no one else says they voted for him, I must have the most powerful vote in the State."! Professor Costello stood in front of her history classes each election cycle and said, "The legal voting age is 21 so those of you 20 and under have a legitimate right to complain. Those of you 21 and older have no right to complain about government unless you exercised your right to vote for what you believe in. If you don't vote, you are saying, 'I approve of whatever those imbeciles in office are doing and am not voting for change'." She has been gone for many years; but, every other Halloween she comes back to haunt me and I obey her admonishment by casting my ballot on election day.

                It has been my experience that we cannot hate our friends. It is late in the election cycle. We are not going to change anyone's mind at this point. Let's all resolve to set aside our differences. Reach out to those that you normally avoid. Make friends.

                Follow the examples of humanity's great religious leaders, all of whom said something along the lines that are expressed in the gospel, "Why should God reward you if you love only the people who love you? Even the tax collectors do that! And if you speak only to your friends, have you done anything out of the ordinary? Even the pagans do that!"

                “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” Dalai Lama XIV

                “God does not forbid you from being good to those who have fought you or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. God loves those who are just.” (Surat al-Mumtahana, 8)
                Last edited by Paul_Guraedy; 11-06-2016, 07:45 AM. Reason: correction

                Comment


                • #9
                  As a nation we have given our selves a choice between a narasistic egomaniac and a pathological liar. Regardless of that not voting is not a statement it is a choice our enemies want to see. It tells them what percentage of the country is willing to let some one else make choices for them. Showing up is a vote for America regardless of your choice.
                  We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                  https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Paul_Guraedy View Post
                    My first vote was cast in 1960 I had to wait until I was 21 years old. Fortunately, I turned 21 a little over a month before election day. It was a proud day for me. For the first time I had become very interested in an election. Not just because I could vote; but because I was inspired by the speeches of America's last great orator. I have a record of JFK speeches and am still thrilled listening to them. "The torch has been passed ....", "We are not doing this because it is easy, rather ....", "Ask not what your country can do for you ....".

                    I started political life as a democrat, became a republican in the 70's and was forced to become independent when the choice was Carter or Reagan. Been there ever since. I simply cannot agree with the positions of any of the political parties. I have voted only once for a candidate who "lost", I was for Gerald Ford. All of my other votes were cast not for the loser but against the winner.

                    There have been 8 presidents during my adult life. The track record of my choice becoming president is 50/50. The first was assassinated, the second resigned under pressure, the third was impeached (though not found guilty) and finally the fourth served two terms without scandal

                    Things have changed in the past 56 years and, unfortunately most of it is not making things better. I am sickened by the vitriol in today's politics. Elected officials claim support of the Constitution; but must not have read it based on what they ignore about it. How did we become divided into Democrats, Republicans, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Them versus Us? Are there no Americans left?

                    Each election cycle I remember two people I admired very much, my Father and my favorite history professor, as I cast my ballot (and I have never missed voting). My Father once said, "I voted for ______ and he won. Since, no one else says they voted for him, I must have the most powerful vote in the State."! Professor Costello stood in front of her history classes each election cycle and said, "The legal voting age is 21 so those of you 20 and under have a legitimate right to complain. Those of you 21 and older have no right to complain about government unless you exercised your right to vote for what you believe in. If you don't vote, you are saying, 'I approve of whatever those imbeciles in office are doing and am not voting for change'." She has been gone for many years; but, every other Halloween she comes back to haunt me and I obey her admonishment by casting my ballot on election day.

                    It has been my experience that we cannot hate our friends. It is late in the election cycle. We are not going to change anyone's mind at this point. Let's all resolve to set aside our differences. Reach out to those that you normally avoid. Make friends.

                    Follow the examples of humanity's great religious leaders, all of whom said something along the lines that are expressed in the gospel, "Why should God reward you if you love only the people who love you? Even the tax collectors do that! And if you speak only to your friends, have you done anything out of the ordinary? Even the pagans do that!"

                    “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” Dalai Lama XIV

                    “God does not forbid you from being good to those who have fought you or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. God loves those who are just.” (Surat al-Mumtahana, 8)
                    Wow. I suppose it's safe to say that you're really passionate about this.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
                      Hey Rv
                      How do you think we feel in the east when all we have to vote for is some cowboy in a clown suit LOL
                      We had Rob Ford.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Spiritwolfe View Post

                        We had Rob Ford.
                        LOL..........
                        If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I enjoy reading these comments, but Randy really say it how I feel
                          Last edited by joepaulbutler; 11-06-2016, 12:03 PM.
                          . . .JoeB

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                            From where I sit, it looks like a lab rat experiment gone wrong. I really do wish you people well out of this.
                            Either way, the rats win, the people lose.
                            Arthur

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X