• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land of the Giants ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Are these not unusually LARGE?

Uncommon, yes. Unusually large, not really. There's a whole host of factors that affect leaf size.
    Are you familiar with Devil's Club ( Oplopanax horridus )? Wet zone woody shrub plant in the forest understory.
    Around here, never more than 2m high and the leaves are never more than 30cm across.

In the coastal forests, 3-4m high with leaves bigger than an open newspaper.

Carve a replica in mahogany!
    Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
      Uncommon, yes. Unusually large, not really. There's a whole host of factors that affect leaf size.
      Are you familiar with Devil's Club ( Oplopanax horridus )? Wet zone woody shrub plant in the forest understory.
      Around here, never more than 2m high and the leaves are never more than 30cm across.

In the coastal forests, 3-4m high with leaves bigger than an open newspaper.

Carve a replica in mahogany!
      No I haven't but I do find it very interesting. The other day I found the tiniest little maple leaf and then today I found these HUGE ones.
      Oddly enough there were no huge trees around which they may have come from but carving leaves in wood I'm completely down for.

Comment

I'm convinced that ground-level winds are really turbulant. They can pick up and toss
        leaves and twigs for many blocks in the city. Your leaves came off shrubs/trees that could have been far away.
        That's all done here some weeks ago. A few stubborn leaves on an apple tree but everything else is off.

Brian T

Comment

I'm convinced that ground-level winds are really turbulant. They can pick up and toss
          leaves and twigs for many blocks in the city. Your leaves came off shrubs/trees that could have been far away.
          That's all done here some weeks ago. A few stubborn leaves on an apple tree but everything else is off.
          Yes I agree. Plus we live in a tornado area and a snow belt so we get quite the gusts of wind.
          We still have some leaves left. Of course the beech tree leaves hang on the longest.
          The turn golden in colour and look so pretty.

Comment

Bunch of shrubs here go various shades of dull reds & purples. Some aspen are blinding yellow, a few go peach.
            Depending on temps, the Douglas maples and the Crategus hawthornes color up the best. One wind blast and they're gone.
            Have tried for 10 years to get the maple seed to germinate but no luck so far. Like 4-6 in my back yard.

I really like the appearance of leaves carved in wood but I don't see any in the wood I have.
            Brian T

Comment

The Japanese maples have very small, lacey leaves, and others much larger like on the Canadian flag. The large leaves you show are likely red or black oak.

Comment

Bunch of shrubs here go various shades of dull reds & purples. Some aspen are blinding yellow, a few go peach.
                Depending on temps, the Douglas maples and the Crategus hawthornes color up the best. One wind blast and they're gone.
                Have tried for 10 years to get the maple seed to germinate but no luck so far. Like 4-6 in my back yard.

I really like the appearance of leaves carved in wood but I don't see any in the wood I have.
                Our purple sand cherry bushes turn a beautiful burgundy and our sugar maples turn a gorgeous crimson red. It's truly magical looking at times.
                The leaves that are exposed to the sun the most also usually get the first frost so change colour the most. Don't you feel privileged to live in Canada at times? I often feel the need to pinch myself I feel so lucky and fortunate.
                Theres always a new season awaiting with its own treasures to surprise snd delight us.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                  The Japanese maples have very small, lacey leaves, and others much larger like on the Canadian flag. The large leaves you show are likely red or black oak.
                  Yes! Japanese maples are gorgeous. Their leaves are much smaller and much more defined.
                  I'm not as familiar with the oak tree though and we don't have any on our property but there are quite a few where we walk and THIS is definitely the biggest oak leaf I've consciously seen to date.
                  These were like monster leaves.
                  Hunters probably hate us. There' are many hunting areas where we live and with the leaves turning crunchy, we can be heard from quite a ways away I'm sure. Oh well. Lol

Comment

Here's a useless piece of trivia for you.
                    If you draw circles with a compass, on a sheet of paper, all species of Maples fit one circle or another.
                    Oaks do not.
                    Brian T

Comment

Here's a useless piece of trivia for you.
                      If you draw circles with a compass, on a sheet of paper, all species of Maples fit one circle or another.
                      Oaks do not.
                      Maybe useless but interesting all the same

Comment

Working...
                      X