Hang on Gertty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hang on Gertty

We are getting pounded! Where we live, about two miles east of Sparks, Nv, we've had 1.48" of moisture so far this month, which to a lot of you isn't much, but our annual moisture is 7.36" inches. To the west of us in the mountains, they have been getting lots of snow, under normal conditions, this would be great, but now we are supposed to get lots of rain from today to Tue & the temperature is now 24°F going to a predicted 45°F. Soooooo, with the extra moisture, the warmer temperatures, the Truckee River is to flood. It is less than 100' from our driveway.

Monday it was flowing a 423 CFS at a height of ±5'; Mon they are predicting it to be flowing 14,900CFS at a height of ±21'. We've been two prior floods before. the worst it got was about a foot up on the driveway, so it is with a weary eye that we'll be watching the old Truckee with hawk eyes.

I know that it is hard for the site to trudge along without my contributing babble, but might be cutting short until Tue
    Last edited by joepaulbutler; 01-07-2017, 02:58 PM.
    . . .JoeB

Hang in there Joe and don't take any chances, weather can be very unpredictable.
    we are just beginning to see the affects of a forecast northeastern, should be over by noon Sunday........ they are promising us 20"_24" of the white stuff along with 40-50 mph winds. There will be some shoveling tomorrow........yeccccccccch!
    wayne
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Ya, we're making a list and checking it twice for things that we would need to take with us. The positive attitude, maybe some of the reservoirs will start to refill
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe
        I don;t which is the worst job , bailing water out of the house or shoveling three feet of snow off the drive way, either way no body wins, lets just do it calmly and at a pace that does't kill either one of us. stay safe
        Bruce

Comment

Good luck!
          From Missouri

Comment

Hang in there Joe

Comment

I hate floods. Hope you don't get hurt by this. I remember back in the 80s in Fort Wayne Indiana, I spent 3 days filling sandbags and sleeping on a mound of sandbags. Water is such a powerful thing. Had my basement here flood twice just from groundwater pushing in. Totally sucks. Hang in there Joe. Do what you gotta do to stay safe.

Last edited by Nomad; 01-07-2017, 07:04 PM. Reason: found a link to that flood
              Terry

Comment

Oh wow Joe Possible flooding that is not good I hope the water doesn't get to your home. Be safe my thoughts are with you....

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes. It's just a waiting game for now. The predictions are: From 4 PM Sun to 4 PM Mon, the water is to be at or above "Action" stage of 13', Sun at 4 AM it suppose to hit the crest of 21.2'. This is our third flood since we've lived here. Just hope my galoshes are dried and cracked from inactivity
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Stay safe Joe!

Dave

Comment

I've been following the weather as our children and families are in the Bay Area so far they are ok.

Comment

Yup, time to check the puddlers Joe. Make sure you are safe and secure, don't take any chances and don't let the stress get to you, it's not a good thing for your ticker. Grab the essentials and make for high ground. Same thing for your chief cook, bottle washer and head painter.

Tinwood

Comment

Make sure you keep the basswood and tools dry! Stay safe my friend...I'll be praying for ya!
                          Keep On Carvin'
                          Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Joe, fill the sandbags and say your prayers, aka "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"!

Best wishes for good luck.
                            Arthur

Comment

God's Speed! Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X