Life in Whooping Hollow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in Whooping Hollow

Good mornin' my frien's ~ yes, there is such a thing in Whooping Hollow. OK, as long as I don't look at the news and find out what the our world is really like today.

The first "treatment" of my eye problem has gone amazingly well. I have progressed from everything being dark and totally out of focus, to being able to "make out" large print with that eye. I go in for the next treatment on Thursday ~ with 4 to go. If I just see as much improvement in all of these injections as I did with this first one ~ I will be very satisfied.

About the time I became somewhat comfortable using the computer again ~ we ran out of our initial internet service gigs (we are only allowed 15g, with any extra costing $15 a gig). Then ran through the next gig in a couple of days ~ so we shut down the "box" that gives us internet access. As my frien' Squarebriggs keeps reminding me, "there is a penalty that comes with living in paradise". Penalty or blessing? Not knowing what is happening in today's world has certainly lowered the stress level.

Woodcarving is a form of meditation for me and also lowers stress levels. I was working on a carving the other day ~ finally realized my back muscles were cramping, tried to stand up ~ made it to my feet, ~ could not straighten up, ~ told Diana that I was not sure I could stand. She replied, "I'm not surprised. You have been sitting there for 3 hours!"

Woodcarving is not always stress relief. I have been working on a walking cane for a friend who was in liver failure ~ but was not thought to be fatal in the near future. He was in need of replacement of both knees and was lamenting having to use a "Plain Jane" cane. I had started on a walking cane many years ago and decided to finish it for him. Just after Xmas my brother called to tell me that he had gotten worse and was in intensive care. I decided to forego my usual fascination with detail and hurry the carving. This was a struggle and I finally resolved my inner fight by finishing the cane, sans detailing, ~ but ameliorated my carving conscience by agreeing not to number or sign this carving.

The day I was spraying on the final finish, I received another call from my brother saying that my friend was not going to make it through the day. They were keeping him alive until all of the family could arrive.

Robert Swanson and I were good friends ~ even though we totally disagreed on religion and politics. We thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. I will miss him and the opportunity to present the cane to him.

So goes life in the "Holler".
    cane finished.JPG

Life goes on with or without us Paul. Within yourself it was the thought of helping a friend in need that will remain to ease the pain long after the sorrow has passed. I'm sure he knows now that you were making an effort to help. So glad to hear that life in the Hollow has perked up a bit and you are getting back to doing the things you love to do. We seem to have no patience with our own frailties hoping that what ever it might be is just a "passing thing". Like they say, time is the great healer and, in due course, we hope to see you back to your usual self. Let time do it's thing Paul, it will all come right in the end. Steady as she goes friend.

Tinwood

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friend. I am sure he would have appreciated receiving your beautiful cane. Godspeed to your friend.
      Terry

Comment

Hi Paul. I thought I was the only one not wanting to look at the news any more. Glad to hear your treatment is helping your sight. Sorry to hear of your friend. Don't fret about the stick. They'll come a time for it to find a new home. As with every thing...patience.

Bob L

Comment

I am sorry to hear about your friends passing Paul. You will have that stick to remind you of him in the days, weeks, months and years ahead.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Glad to hear about your eyes responding, more to come I hope.I can only imagine what you feel when you look at the cane. Wish words could fill the chasm of a lost friend.
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Thanks to all of you who have responded and also to those that have viewed this post. I was telling Sunnie (daughter in law) all of this and she asked, "Are you going to keep the cane?" I told her I did not know what I would do with it ~ but I would not be keeping it. It did not represent my carving ability. She said, "I have admired this cane since you started on it! It may not be your best ~ but it is way above average!"

I told her, "It's yours." So the cane has a home.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Guraedy View Post
                Thanks to all of you who have responded and also to those that have viewed this post. I was telling Sunnie (daughter in law) all of this and she asked, "Are you going to keep the cane?" I told her I did not know what I would do with it ~ but I would not be keeping it. It did not represent my carving ability. She said, "I have admired this cane since you started on it! It may not be your best ~ but it is way above average!"

I told her, "It's yours." So the cane has a home.
                That's great, Paul! I love it when someone in the family really likes one of my carvings...I think I enjoy giving it as much as they enjoy receiving it.
                Arthur

Comment

A perfect place for it Paul! Sunnie will cherish it always, because you made it. It will remind her of that big heart of yours!

Bob
                  Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

My hat's off to you sir, well done.

Tinwood

Comment

Working...
                    X