Not carving yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not carving yet

My Grandson's Uncle (my son) built him a display case for a knife collection is starting. I'm sending him four pocket knives that belonged to his Great grandfather. So I thought I had better build him one from his PapaJoe. It is a Bowie knife replica w/ a 2-1/2" blade, the total length of 4". The wood for the handle came from Az., have no idea what it is. The knife sheath is leather. finish both the handle and sheath with Tung oil. Hope it makes it to the display. As customary, He is going to have to send me a penny to buy the knives, You never give a sharp instrument to anyone whom you don't want to cut your friend ship (Something that my grandfather taught me??????)

Then we are getting ready to add some 600 SF.± of 1/2" laminate flooring to the house, everything but the BR, Baths, Kitchen/Utility area. So we have been the process of packing all of Pam's knickknacks so the shelving can be moved. My office/studio is going to be the *****, My main storage desk, my son built for me when I was working for engineering firms. It's got three 42" draws, plus a top that pulls out and lifts to a drafting table. it is all about 34" wide. When I brought it home I had to take a window out to get into the office/ studio, so it just has to be moved around when they finish on side of the room. the rest of the stuff I'm moving out slowly.

I know this is of the unimportance to you all, but I guess I kind of need a place to unload, would heck of lot rather be carving

Let know what you think about the knife.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    . . .JoeB

And 50+ years from now, people will look at that little knife and say: "That was made for a reason. Not from some PacRim offshore factory."

"We(?)" are getting ready to add. . . . . . . . . " Hope you still speak to eachother when it's done. Try crown molding.
    Brian T

Comment

You saw through my efforts to be civil.

Well Brian, In 50 years, I hope he is getting ready to hand the knives off (sell for a penny) to his grandson
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe, Good Job on the Knife , I'm sure you will be getting a Penny in the Mail any day now. That will be your Grandsons most Valued Knife. Merle

Comment

I would guess that the "Arizona wood" of the knife handle is Mesquite - fairly common in the Southwest.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
            I would guess that the "Arizona wood" of the knife handle is Mesquite - fairly common in the Southwest.
            ···
            pallin, I made some knives for Ed Sims, who live in AZ. He had sent me so old straight razor blades, misc other steel to make him a straight razor knife. In the box of steel he also included about five pieces of wood that he had found in the dessert, and wasn't sure what they were. I they were all different and harder the the hubs of hell. Anyways, I've about got it used up, some of it had to be scraped when i was getting some scales cut out the chucks he had sent, but it all had interesting grain designs.

I've included the picture of the knives I made for him

This gallery has 2 photos.
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe
              That ts a nicething you are doing selling your grandson a quality knife, he will treasure that always
              Now my friend , when the dust has settled and all is back in place you will able to say "hey that wasn't so bad was it", I know I have done it in three places we have owned in the last 37 years,
              Bruce

Comment

very nice knives, Joe
                Herb

Comment

I'm sure your grandson will treasure that knife for many years to come. May I suggest that you build a display case for the penny and include an explanation as to how you got it, then display it prominently on your desk ........... oh, and don't worry about the renovations , you'll get through that and probably say " why did I wait so long to do this?" ...
                  Wayne
                  If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Great idea, Joe. The young man will treasure that knife and those of his great grandfather more and more as he grows older. Don't worry about the flooring, I've done tons of it and it's a "snap" (pun intended). Much easier than RV's mentioned crown molding!
                    Arthur

Comment

I appreciate all the "cushioning" (pun intended) regarding the flooring, will be a happy camper when it is done ~ smiley
                      Wayne, good Idea. thanks for the cordial comments.
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

These are the knives I'm sending (sold) to my grandson
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice looking knife, Joe! Your grandson will treasure it forever!
                          Keep On Carvin'
                          Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Very nice Joe! I've always been of the opinion that knives make GREAT gifts. Your grandson will treasure it and the other knives as well. And they will be something he can pass on to his children. I have quite a few knives in my collection that were pre-owned and they often make me wonder about who owned them (some of which I know) and what they used them for. But my favorite knives are the ones that were made specifically for me whether by my design input or as a gift.

The only problem with knife collecting, though, is that it can be an expensive addiction. If you start young, though, you can spread the cost over many years. LOL!
                            Last edited by Nomad; 04-27-2017, 08:24 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

Bob, Terry, thanks for the kind comments
                              . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                              X