Gotta be a better way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta be a better way

In Feb. I inquired about a class at a festival that was to happen in this week. I was told there were spots in this hand carving class. I then contacted the organizer and asked him if he would be willing to talk with me about possibly having an event near my area of the country. He said he would be happy to talk to me. I sent my money and received my packet confirming my spot. The packet informed me that I would hear from my instructor regarding what I would need. I had not heard from my instructor a couple weeks before the class so I decided to try to contact him. Luckily I had his info from something I had bought from him. He informed me it was a power carving project. I have the equipment, so I was OK with that. Just glad I had contacted him!
    I drove the 500 miles to the class a day early so that maybe I could talk with the organizer about my questions before he got too busy. I contacted him via email on Saturday and he responded that he was not available on Sunday, but we could get together during the week.
    I showed up Monday morning to find out that my class was cancelled because only 2 people signed up. It was not worthwhile for the instructor to show up for 2 people. I can accept that.I was offered a spot in a couple of different classes. I asked for a refund instead, which he said he would send me when he got home.
    What is insulting and angering is that nobody contacted me. I had been in contact with the organizer hours before and the instructor days before. Either could have invested 60 seconds to send an email to me. Do they think it was worthwhile for me to drive 1000 miles round-trip, pay for a hotel and meals and then not get a class or the chance to ask my questions? At least the instructor and organizer are not out anything! My several hundred dollars is obviously meaningless! They knew weeks in advance that there was a good chance that the class would not happen.
    These are not bad guys...they both seem like top notch folks actually. If I thought otherwise, I would have wanted a refund right then and there! I just think that if you are in a position where you can impact somebody else's plans, you should at least give them some notice if at all possible. Do unto others...
    Thanks for letting me rant!
    Jim

Man, sounds like rank amateurs putting on this class and/or festival. I would be super PO'd about driving that far for a class that was cancelled. I think you have every right to rant!

Comment

Jim , that's not a rant, that's just telling it like it is. It appears that you are much more of a gentleman than I would have been under those circumstances .
      It sounds as though you are reluctant to name them on here, but it just might save some other unsuspecting carver a similar situation in the future.
      My .02 cents worth...
      Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by jimp View Post
        In Feb. I inquired about a class at a festival that was to happen in this week. I was told there were spots in this hand carving class. I then contacted the organizer and asked him if he would be willing to talk with me about possibly having an event near my area of the country. He said he would be happy to talk to me. I sent my money and received my packet confirming my spot. The packet informed me that I would hear from my instructor regarding what I would need. I had not heard from my instructor a couple weeks before the class so I decided to try to contact him. Luckily I had his info from something I had bought from him. He informed me it was a power carving project. I have the equipment, so I was OK with that. Just glad I had contacted him!
        I drove the 500 miles to the class a day early so that maybe I could talk with the organizer about my questions before he got too busy. I contacted him via email on Saturday and he responded that he was not available on Sunday, but we could get together during the week.
        I showed up Monday morning to find out that my class was cancelled because only 2 people signed up. It was not worthwhile for the instructor to show up for 2 people. I can accept that.I was offered a spot in a couple of different classes. I asked for a refund instead, which he said he would send me when he got home.
        What is insulting and angering is that nobody contacted me. I had been in contact with the organizer hours before and the instructor days before. Either could have invested 60 seconds to send an email to me. Do they think it was worthwhile for me to drive 1000 miles round-trip, pay for a hotel and meals and then not get a class or the chance to ask my questions? At least the instructor and organizer are not out anything! My several hundred dollars is obviously meaningless! They knew weeks in advance that there was a good chance that the class would not happen.
        These are not bad guys...they both seem like top notch folks actually. If I thought otherwise, I would have wanted a refund right then and there! I just think that if you are in a position where you can impact somebody else's plans, you should at least give them some notice if at all possible. Do unto others...
        Thanks for letting me rant!
        Jim
        That is disgusting. I would be furious also.
        A 1,000 mile drive that was needless all from pure inconsideration. You have every right to rant. It's too bad there are a few bad apples in the bunch cause in general, carvers seem like really decent people.
        I really feel bad for you. No only was it a crazy long drive but it sounds like you really got fiddle ****** around.
        Rant away!

Comment

THANKS for the support! I am reluctant to name names, (but the festival was in Michigan).
          It was NOT a rank amateur by any means! He is a big name in our community.
          I am trying to believe that it was a one time thing and that everybody concerned will learn something from it.
          I know that I learned to call before I get in my car!
          I have to agree that carvers are by and
          large the greatest group of folks there are.
          I am writing this off to a "teachable moment". I have also learned that it is not worth staying angry. I am blessed to be able to make these trips, usually with better results!
          Who knows, maybe they will offer me a class next year??!!
          Jim

Comment

You have been to kind to the organizers of the event. To bad they did not have better customer relations.
            Carve On,
            Kadiddle

Comment

Holy s$#t! That's awful and there's no excuse for that! The person running the program and the instructor both know full well in advance whether they'll be able to run the class, and with today's technology (email and such) there is no reason they can't communicate that with you. It's flat out irresponsibility! You were beyond gracious with them! It would be a cold day in hell before I'd ever take a course with them again.
              Keep On Carvin'
              Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Jim! You are to much of a 'gentleman' to have taken this abuse from a supposable, wood
                carver! I really hope you don't believe that all wood carving instructors are that rude!
                Oscar

Comment

I wrote a letter to both the instructor and the organizer. I got an email from the instructor apologizing to me. He says that he assumed that the committee would have contacted me. I am pleased that at least he contacted me, I still feel he should have told me that there was a good chance the class was going to be cancelled when I contacted him a couple weeks before the class. I am guessing that the organizer has just gotten home and has not gotten to his mail yet. I will let you know if/when I get any response other than a refund.

Oscar,
                  I have attended several classes and I am very aware that this behavior is not the norm.
                  I am surprised at how many times people use the term gentleman in quotation marks when they refer to me!LOL

Out of curiosity, considering that there were a lot of other carvers waiting to sign in at the event, how would you have handled the situation?

Jim

Comment

Honestly today.....money is not easy to come by ...the fact that everything is hitting the ceiling to not affordable. If I flew there.....I would have hit the ceiling for being taken....it was out of extreme lack of customer service and even caring that the customer does not live down the street and would need lodging, food and other expenses. It only takes a few minutes to contact the customer and say sorry ...it was closed. Did they do that...no they did not? The worst thing is who is the next poor soul they going ditch because they do not have the time to take care of business???? Sorry but in this day and age.....I believe people need to have honor and integrity in their business otherwise I want nothing to do with them. If it was me.....I would have blasted their name all over the internet for being a dirty dealer. But that is just me.....when I get a bad deal I let people, know to watch out......history I found in this is repeated to other people when it comes to these kinds of dealings. I hate seeing this.....as major noted.....almost all wood carvers are some of nicest most giving people I have ever met.....it makes me major sick when I see things like this.

Comment

When it is a week before the event and they only have two participants it was time for the organizer to call it off. There is no good excuse for you to have had to make that trip for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kadiddle View Post
                        You have been to kind to the organizers of the event.
                        Kadiddle
                        Not to pick on you but I think it's the organizers that need to be kind to anybody interested in their organization. If your first interaction is met with this type of extreme inconsideration it doesn't leave you wanting more.

Comment

Originally posted by jimp View Post
                          I showed up Monday morning to find out that my class was cancelled because only 2 people signed up.
                          Not saying anything that hasn't been said but... Very very very inconsiderate of the organizer. He obviously knows you are coming a great distance and that only you and one other person signed up.

A possible better way, seek out a carver that will teach you 1:1. There are some that will do it via Skype if distance is an obstacle. Even if you can't find your exact type of carving, it's worthwhile. A clean cut is a clean cut and if you learn to make them in one style you generally can take that knowledge to any style. If you can't find 1:1, there are carvers with online schools as well. I get that there is something to be said for a group environment, sharing and whatnot. Don't have any idea where you are from but there is Carv Fest in Minnesota that I went to last year and thought was well organized. It's coming up In August. http://www.carv-fest.com/

Comment

I sent an email on Friday saying that I had not gotten my refund yet. He said he put it in the mail this morning. That was the whole message...no sorry or anything.
                            Well, the check came today, so he DID send it out. That was all that came, a check. There was no note saying that he was sorry that it had happened, that he would like me to try again next year, or even stuff it...NOTHING!!!! Not even any response to the letter that I had sent him.
                            I have not wanted to name names, but I feel the response (or lack thereof) from the organizer of this says quite a bit
                            SOOOOO.........my advice to anybody considering attending FloydFest next year is you are on your own. Mr. Rhadigan apparently does not have time for anything but the minimum of customer service (cashing your check)!

Jim
                            Last edited by jimp; 06-26-2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

BobK,Gypsy31,DiLeon and Randy,
                              I agree with all of you! I don't understand the lack of consideration.
                              Fiddlesticks,
                              Thanks for the advice!
                              I had actually considered that for my trip this year. Maybe next year.
                              I have taken several classes, and they have all been a really good experience, until this one.
                              I would expect that this was a one time thing, and any other classes that I attend will be positive.

THANKS, again

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X