Hurricane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane

It is time for hurricanes to head from Mexico to Hawaii.......this one is starting to track direct to Hawaii. This is where all of our hurricanes start at....... question is will she fizzle out before arrival or turn???.....weather is not a science yet. So here we go..... Hurricane Dora first hurricane of the season, a major gambling wait. Time to get ready for another season. I hate summer ....and all this prep work as we get to many near hits from Cat 4 hurricanes a year.....plus we are long over due for a hit. Only plus of these storms.....tons of down trees, I am never out of wood. .
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

The real question is do I need more wood??? then I have collected from the last few years of near misses of cyclones........honestly I got wood stacked everywhere and to the ceiling....so the answers is? No....... I do not need any more wood like I need a hole in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
      No....... I do not need any more wood like I need a hole in my head.
      That's a double negative.

Stay safe Dileon.

Comment

Hi Dileon
        What is the tree that is across the road? \Is it fire wood or carving wood?, Stay safe, we will be watching the
        track of Dora
        Bruce

Comment

Hurricane Iselle in 2014, there was a stretch of Highway 132 (from Pahoa Village down to Kapoho) that was tunneled with overgrown giant savanna-like Albezia trees that had become infamous as “the trees that ate Puna.” The cleanup was long and messy, but as a result, it brought discussions about this horribly invasive species to the foreground; the result has been a heightened sense of public and county awareness towards appropriate management meaning?...... eradication. Albezia is the first tree to go down during a hurricane here.....it is weak ....easily to break. That being said no one I know carves it......bugs and humidity eating the wood rather fast makes it not worth much ....but a major head ache to clean up.

Comment

I know the need for being ready Dileon. We are staging the house for hurracane season now. Just had tropical storm Cindy came in west of us our area had 7 to 15 inches of rain depending on where you lived we had just over just 9 inches at our house. There are always a few trees down with that much rain and winds. They are for casting a active Atlantic season. We are over do also.
            We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
            https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Stay safe Dileon!
              As for me, I will stick with our winters here in Western NY. Yeah, there is a lot of snow sometimes, but we have the equipment and the trained manpower to deal with it.
              They do a great job.
              There isn't much you can do to fight wind and water.

Jim

Comment

Well the hurricane number one took off to the north. But we got the next one headed straight for us.....the worst timing.....my son is planning a beach wedding and family is flying in now from various parts of the world. If it hits it will be just in time for the wedding later next weekend. We have another storm trying to form right behind this hurricane.....looks like we are going into double hurricanes again this year? The hurricane Fernanda is a cat 4 .....right now changing to possible five. It is noted to fizzle before it gets to the Hawaiian island, hopefully that will happen. Anyone watching the hurricane the new images they are showing are very impressive of these storms this year. And of coarse on our local news ...."Are you ready??? " ,the answer is this is not a good situation with family coming in. The major wait and see is back again. Mean while headed to the studio to carve, it is hot and humid.....typical pre hurricane weather. I look like a soggy doggy with wood chips stuck all over the sweat.

Comment

The new equipment this year and up grades of the super computers show impressive photos. Hurricane Fernanda is cat 4 right now, the eye is 35 miles wide.

Comment

I'd like to experience a hurricane. I know that makes about as much sense as spitting into a fan.
                    Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                      I'd like to experience a hurricane. I know that makes about as much sense as spitting into a fan.
                      You know when I was kid I was really excited about being in a hurricane. Getting older I loved chaos and would made a good storm chaser. But after massive research and then later major disaster preparedness for hospitals, you learn this could change into your worst nightmare. That is the problem with too information and knowledge. I have been here during three hurricanes...Iniki just missed us and slammed into Kauai.....you listen those people stories about how the house was slamming up and down on the foundation and how they all thought they where going to die..... I decided then if I had choice....to darn old to try to be young again. smile.

Comment

I'd still like to give it a shot.

We've got our own problems up here in British Columbia. Wildfires. Lightning storms last weekend, 150 fires one day, 100 the next.
                        Big wind to fan the flames. Bang! Bang! Bang! on the door. "You have 5 minutes to get out!"

Some of those fires are monsters now. About 175 still burning, most out of control. Cooking whole neighborhoods.
                        16,000 people on the run with no idea when they will ever be able to go home (if they still have one.)

One ranch friend was up at 2AM to run when they came banging on her door to get out.

All across Hwy 16, we are out of the main fire zone so we have food & fuel and accomodations for the refugees, pets, horses.
                        McBride even had a traffic jam! Worse yet, the wind changed last night and really picked up strength to fan the flames.
                        Brian T

Comment

Fires are one thing I really do not want to deal with.....next tsunamis.... Wow sound like a major disaster issues with the fires, scary.
                          Last edited by DiLeon; 07-15-2017, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Maybe another 8-9 hours and things have gone from really bad to really ugly. What were big fires are now monsters with the bigger winds.

There are just 2 highways which run north/south in BC. Southern BC is on fire. Simple as that.
                            #97 has been closed for a week and #5 might be the last escape route from the southern fires to shut down tomorrow or Monday.
                            Our main power lines might get cooked tomorrow.

We don't have many highways. BC isn't flat. Maybe 3% is flat. The rest is mountains.
                            Even a good logging road will cost you $1,000,000 per mile.
                            When things go wrong, we are kinda stuck to deal with it.

Hwy 16 goes east/west across the middle. We are well supplied with food and fuel and stuff for refugees.
                            Brian T

Comment

Today natural disaster can be seen around the world....and no one is free from them. What he is talking about is this ....the real question is are you prepared for being cut off from the world and can you survive? Most people live in the world of denial...saying ....it wont happen to me. Right now I am looking at the hurricane choo choo train on windyty, site.....three possible hurricanes in a row,... if the other two form then it will hit a new major record ....wow......all in line to come our way? Wow. With the world hitting hot spells which has happen in history......science says if it will continue the oceans will stop channel flow and then we will be looking at the next ice age. So I guess there is no running anywhere..... I remember reading where China tried to seed the clouds for major drought.....they ended up killing hundreds of thousands of people with floods a while back. So much for messing.... with mother nature.

Comment

Working...
                              X