No announcement yet.

Hurricane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That picture could be Williams Lake or Kelowna, last night.
    So much evacuee traffic that the 2-3 hr drive to the city Kamloops from WL was taking 8-9 hours, bumper to bumper.

Two fires, one east and one west, would cut us off. Won't be the first time. Avalanches in the winter are more usual.
    I think that most people here are prepared for that, or they can bunk in with friends who are.
    Brian T

Comment

No one is really ready for a catastrophe! The best that you can do is put all plans in place and hope for the best. Here in Florida our main worry is also tropical storms and hurricanes. Those of us that live in low lying areas near the coast always worry about tidal surge and that depends on wind speed and the direction of the hurricane when it hits. You can have a Cat #3 hit you from one direction and all you get is a little wind and rain but let it come from the other side and you've got 16 feet of water and 100 mph winds. So you stock up your emergency supplies. Then you make sure you've got gas in the car in case they tell you to evacuate. And then as was the case this weekend about 30-miles north of here, a family was minding it's own business getting ready for a long weekend when the ground caved in and their house and the house next door disappeared into a sinkhole. There's no preparation for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
        I'd like to experience a hurricane. I know that makes about as much sense as spitting into a fan.
        Brian, I experienced my first hurricane in 1947, as a six year old child...that was before they started naming them. We lived on a slight bluff facing the Gulf of Mexico, and the coast around us was absolutely devastated ( our property was on one of the highest parts, so were spared the worst of it ). I've experienced many more since then, and it takes years to recover from a big one like Camille or Katrina. Our families have had tremendous losses from hurricanes over the decades. The power of wind and water cannot be resisted for long. Still, the intelligent can prepare and/or evacuate.

You wouldn't want to experience a hurricane if you had skin in the game, but I understand what you mean. Better to experience it vicariously through the media, my friend!
        Arthur

Comment

Our wildfires are full of stories and videos these days. Some 37,000 estimated on the run now. I went over to the McBride Relief Center, one family after another coming thru the doors.
          Relief supplies? Everything from toiletries to cat food. Hot food and cold food for the evacuees and a team of volunteers. I was able to answer a request for a "cat leash." I healed very nicely after trying to put it on my own cat.
          Last year, a huge wild fire got loose and went through the city of Fort MacMurray. A few of them are here in McBride today. Actually out on the east highway aproach to the village. They swung in and bought enough gas and diesel to fill some Tidy Tanks. They're sitting out there, giving it away to the evacuees.
          Brian T

Comment

That picture could be Williams Lake or Kelowna, last night.
            Actually it is old pic ....I just took it because it tells a story so it is not the fire happening right now. Here storm surge can be up to 37 feet or higher. People do not know how the wind can blow the water right up the mountain valleys during a hurricane. And you read about those cat 5 hurricanes....and history books wow....it is not the wind that kills them it is the storm surges. Just like a tsunami they are full of trees, houses and every kind junk you can think of....get hit by a floating house roof and your a goner. Then if that does not get you a snake or a bunch of rats will. I am ready got my super butcher knife for the rats, or feral chickens. . During Iniki the rats were the issue....they said that the MRE s that the FEMA passed out....gone ,, rats got them and then they blew up....it was a mess. No food, dead rats everywhere....what a life!!!
            . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Hi Dileon
              Your storm surges are like our tides where I live, we have a rise and fall off over forty feet twice every day, I am talking about or Bay Of Fundy tides. I can imagine how your storm surges work as per our tides.. We experience hurricanes as well that bring the storm surges higher then our normal tides.It is one of the mysteries of our world
              Bruce

Comment

Bruce: what happens? Do the crabs and lobsters have to run like Hello, twice a day? I can give them all a ride to my kitchen. Test my new big pot.
                Brian T

Comment

Working...
                X