Found some wood!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found some wood!

It was lying in my yard! Big storm blew through late Wednesday, early Thursday. Lost power and just got it back an hour ago. Made a big mess in the yard but it missed the house. Unfortunately the other stem of the tree is still standing and is leaning toward my house. Too bad it wasn't a basswood tree. LOL!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Terry

Other than losing a nice shade tree, I don't look like any other damage was done ---good news
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Looks like serious rot at the stump = all shades of dark brown and a brittle fracture.
      Nice log though. Any appetite for wood turning?
      Brian T

Comment

Hey Terry
        Glad you're ok. It's probably good that the storm took it down like it did cause that tree was ready to fall on your house.
        Funny in theory only. Lol. Too bad you aren't into chainsaw carving .

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
          Looks like serious rot at the stump = all shades of dark brown and a brittle fracture.
          Nice log though. Any appetite for wood turning?
          No wood turning for me.

Huge nest of carpenter ants in the base of the tree.
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritwolfe View Post
            Hey Terry
            Glad you're ok. It's probably good that the storm took it down like it did cause that tree was ready to fall on your house.
            Funny in theory only. Lol. Too bad you aren't into chainsaw carving .
            Well, I did do some chainsaw whacking. This tree was about 70% on my neighbor's property. New neighbor, young guy with lots of energy. I did a lot of limbing but he got some friends over yesterday and they whacked the trunk into chunks. Next is felling the standing stem.
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
              Other than losing a nice shade tree, I don't look like any other damage was done ---good news
              The standing stem is aimed right at the corner of my house so I hope there's no bad news in the future.
              Terry

Comment

Hi Terry
                I guess you had to buy ice for you drinks for a few days with no power LOL, You are very fortunate that the old tree went in the direction away from your house. if you lived next door to me you could borrow my log splitter
                Bruce

Comment

Yup, I was pretty lucky Bruce. I have a small 2000 watt Honda generator and that kept the fridge going, plus a fan and my computer and microwave. No internet though. It's a tough way to get to know your neighbors but that was a silver lining in this little cloud. The neighbor's wife who cut up the stem also gave me some venison steaks that had thawed in her freezer. Fired up the barbecue and I et good. Another neighbor gave me some muffins and yet another neighbor brought over a rhubarb cake. Some good folks around here.
                  Terry

Comment

Glad to hear you and the house are safe. I guess there is a silver lining in every cloud.
                    Keep On Carvin'
                    Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Venison steak on the grill and 2 kinds of desserts? You lead a charmed life.
                      Consider getting a pro to drop the standing stem. Beer-confidence can't match insurance.
                      Brian T

Comment

Rhubarb cake. Hmmm. I like rhubarb pie and rhubarb as side dish. I have never encountered rhubarb cake. It is taking some outside the box thinking. I may have to find one and sample it.

Sorry about the loss of the tree. That is traumatic in and of itself. Glad the house was spared. It's nice to have good neighbors, isn't it.
                        HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Rhubarb Cake: heavy sweet cake with lots of dice rhubarb inb it. There's another name for it.
                          Brian T

Comment

Found this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/161436/omas-rhubarb-cake/. Wow. Sounds good. Gonna have to try it.
                            Rhubarb is baked into a streusel-topped coffee cake. Oma always makes this for her grand kids after she picks through her garden. Probably not good for the thighs but Oma's cooking is always good for the taste buds.
                            HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Originally posted by honketyhank View Post
                              Found this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/161436/omas-rhubarb-cake/. Wow. Sounds good. Gonna have to try it.
                              Looks just like that Hank. Thanks for digging up the recipe. My sister has a big patch of rhubarb and I'll pass the recipe on to her.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X