No announcement yet.

Hurricane Harvey Iheart radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was the citizen 'army' out in force. So many of us (not me) have a bass boat (not basswood) and fish or hunt crocks. These are fine folk and run all over town picking out people in time and saving all lives that are there. I heard the State National Guard has shown in force - all of them - to help as the hurricane actually comes near town. Thursday or so it might start to dry out but will drip into creeks and rivers and Houston for several weeks. Like earthquakes, it keeps on coming in after 'shocks'. The massive rift zone that carves an arc of extreme NE corner of Texas and ending in the Austin / Central Texas uplift area might get lubed and give some quakes. The large Volcano in East Texas has long since sunk but we get reminders now and then. Quakes even a 2 will fell trees as they wobble on their bases. The modern, hybrid, pine doesn't have a tap root. Easier for lumber companies to clear and plant. Oaks have heavy limbs that help tilt them over. We will be living with this for months.

Comment

No conifers have deep root systems. Maybe 2-3 feet at the very most. In the Boreal Forest Biome where I live (and around the world) , there are no post-glacial soils older than maybe 8,000 years at the very most. I live in a world of rock, gravel and sand and clay and water. Specifically, I live in the Interior Cedar Hemlock biogeoclimatic zone. The organic layer of our forest floors is never more that 6" deep to clay or gravel. Above me, there's nothing local more than 8,000 - 9,000 feet high. All of those peaks are less than 5 miles from the house in every direction. Robson is 90(?) minutes east and it is just shy of 13,000 feet.
      Brian T

Comment

I studied the subject of Geology in the gulf coast. Florida and most coasts in the Gulf have temporary land that can come and go. Inland that is more stable... We lived in the Coastal Redwoods in the general area (up hill from ) Santa Cruz in Ca. It was clear cut for rebuilding San Francisco and the 150' trees are just over 100 years old. Some of that wood is with us in East Texas now.

Comment

Working...
        X