Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping with the hurricane recovery

HELPING WITH THE HURRICANE RECOVERY
    The central Gulf coast has seen some of the biggest hurricane to hit the US Camille, Fredric, Ivan, George and Katrina. Camille was the biggest. Camille came ashore cat 5, 185 to 190 winds. It is much like combat, you can’t know what it is really like unless you have experienced its reality. My wife has been here for them all. I have been here for 3 of them. If you can help those who have been hit just send money, gift cards, can goods that can be eaten out of the can or basic personal care packages. The best meaning people send all kind of thing that are of little or no use in the first weeks. Resources are needed to deal with useless gifts that could be helping with real needs. Use the Red Cross or donate though you church or Salvation Army. You cannot believe the low life’s that come out of their holes to rip off that are in need and take advantage of those who are trying to help.

We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Good post Randy. The only comment I have is that while there is no arguing that the Red Cross plays a major role in disaster relief in this country, between it's high administrative costs (salaries) and low scores for performance during past disasters, folks should shop around on web sites that keep track of charities to make sure that the money they donate is going to go where they intend it to go. You mention the Salvation Army which is an excellent choice but unlike the Red cross does very limited advertising. And there are others.

Comment

I agree Eddy. The reason I used those three is because they are most often the first one in. They have the resources to serve the needs of that first 3 or 4 weeks. There are many good groups helping long term. The gulf coast cities like Mobile have been sending groups and supplies sense day 1. It does do the heart good to see the goodness of thousands reaching out just to help. In this crazy would it's good to know good people are out there.
      We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
      https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Working...
      X