Scored a new pockeknife today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored a new pockeknife today

Found this on Ebay, I regularly search there for Camillu knives, and barlows in particular. Every once in a while a real beauty like this one comes up- it's a late model, maybe pre 2000, that has not been touched. Factory grinds, scratch free bolster & blades, snaps like a new knife. I paid a little more than I like, but now that I see it it is worth every penny.

Buff, that is a nice looking knife. I don't think you can call me a collector, but I do have a bunch of Uncle Henry knives, new and old, primarily because they remind me of my great-uncle Henry (and I am a great-uncle Henry, too). I understand that a true collector attaches value to having an older knife in "untouched" condition, but my first inclination on any of the pocket knives I have acquired, new or old, has been to put a decent edge on them. Even if I suspect I will probably never use them for anything but show. When I was growing up, "factory edge" was a derogatory phrase and held negative value -- that attitude has stuck with me as what one might well call a bias. Funny, huh?

Maybe that bias gives me a bit of an 'edge' when bidding on a used pocket knife.

Comment

My Dad always had a couple of those laying around in his tool box and back around 40-years ago when I was doing air conditioning and refrigeration I always had one in my tool kit.

Comment

Nice knife, I am an avid fan o pocket knives. I have several, but only use a few of them for whittling.

Comment

I carry (most) of the barlows I've picked up, all get a good cleaning and reworked edges. This one will be no different. I grew up near Camillus, and all the hardware, feed stores and lumber yards had a Camilus display on the counter. Almost every pocket knife I've ever carried has been a Camillus. I do like being the first one to use a knife.

Here's my favorite Camillus story: I was out fishing 40 plus years ago when I kicked at something shiny in the mud, pulled up a crusted army issue Camillus 4 blade utility knife. Rinsed it off in the river and it came up shiny and clean. It stayed in my toolbox at work forever, still in my toolbox in the garage, and still as good as the day it came off the line.

Comment

Nice find Buf. Did you get the original box with it? Some years back I used to make pocket knives from scratch, slip joints and lockers, along with typical sheath knives. I burnt out doing it but still appreciate a good knife.

Comment

Nice! Love Barlows. Great pattern. I really like the long nail nick in that clip blade. Good snag.
              Terry

Comment

I bought an old Cutler Barlow from the new old stock of colonial knives, Rhode island.

Comment

It is interesting to see the rather narrow grind they put on the edge for factory sharpening.

Comment

Alpha O, staghorn handle? Nice! Been drooling over a staghorn out of Sheffield.

Pallin, most surprising thing about the factory edge on this one is it is approaching scary sharp.

Comment

FrankJ, I did not get the box, which is OK by me. This is a carry knife for me anyway, one of a few. I'm thinking I need a little display.

Comment

FrankJ, check your PM please. I could use a little folding knife advice if you don't mind.

Comment

Deleted.........Double post.
                          Last edited by frankj; Yesterday, 10:38 AM. Reason: Deleted.........Double post.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bif View Post
                            FrankJ, check your PM please. I could use a little folding knife advice if you don't mind.
                            Sorry Bif for the delay in getting back to you. No, I don't mind sharing my experience in the least. Just keep in mind I'm not all that skilled on the key board. I trust my response to your PM will be of some help. Let me know.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                            X