Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Arthur C.;n1131607]
    Originally posted by Randy View Post
    SNIP The thing I hate about old age is having to pay people to do those things I always did but I can no longer do. SNIP

I wholeheartedly agree, Randy! Anything I need done on my roof or too high on a ladder, or requires crawling under the house, and I have to call on one of my sons. Drives me nuts to ask for help, but they are gracious and generous in helping me without hesitation. I suppose my problem comes from an excess of pride, so asking for help is a well deserved dose of humility!
    I understand Arthur! 5 years ago I did most all the work on my house. Now I am very limited on what I can do, not having sons I have to call on some stranger. Few of which know what they are doing or just do not care. Pried in good work is not part of the work ethic for many these days. Not long ago I had some work done on the porch. When I complained about the sloppy job I was told it was commercially acceptable. Whatever that is.
    Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

The United Way Charitable Campaign runs a program here called "Better At Home." It's essentially a wage subsidy for seniors with disabilities to get things done.
      What we seniors pay depends on our retirement income. I've had the same guy work for me for 2 years now. Summer gardening, winter snow, groceries and so on.
      He knows what I want done, how to do it and where everything (shovels/rakes/etc) can be found.

Tomorrow morning, the contractor comes at 8AM to finish a bare wall in my laundry room. OK by me.

Because of the formal organization, the potential workers get picked over pretty thoroughly.
      Next up, I need some spring cleaning done. I need a monkey on a ladder to wash the outsides of my windows.
      I can phone one number and ask for those.

My ego still doesn't want to admit that I need help. Well, it happens. Keep my family in good spirits, too.
      Brian T

Comment

If you have not heard we are getting history rains down here.... Kauai got over 28 inches in 24 hours. It just will not stop, I got trees flipping over from the wet ground will not hold the tree weight. Parts of the islands are in a state of emergency.....tons of damage everywhere.

Comment

Dileon: Was just thinking of you and the storms I read about. You have my most sincere condolences. Got a life jacket?
          I was in 2 big storms in the years that I lived in Australia when it rained close to 2" per hour.
          I did not believe that much water could possibly fall out of the sky. But it did.
          Brian T

Comment

16545109_G.pngimages (2).jpg ​​​​​​​ images (3).jpg ​​​​​​​Tons of damage in different parts of islands. rock and mudslides. It is still on flash flood watch and they are warning us major to watch out that this is not over yet. Me and neighbors out cutting down trees in the rain yesterday... and making sure all storm drains are working order. Lots of areas hit,... Kauai really is a mess. Due to last weekend's heavy rainfall, it won't take much to create run-off and flooding again. Stay alert and stay safe is the islands warning to us that you better pray you do not get hit again .
            Last edited by Dileon; 04-19-2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

WoW!!!!

And here in Kansas we are begging for just a good 2 or 3 inch rain over 4 or 5 days...

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                Tons of damage in different parts of islands. rock and mudslides. It is still on flash flood watch and they are warning us major to watch out that this is not over yet. Me and neighbors out cutting down trees in the rain yesterday... and making sure all storm drains are working order. Lots of areas hit,... Kauai really is a mess. Due to last weekend's heavy rainfall, it won't take much to create run-off and flooding again. Stay alert and stay safe is the islands warning to us that you better pray you do not get hit again .
                Wow,that is a lot of rain.. Back when hurrican Danny came in to Mobile Bay and stald for a day or two some areas got 40" of rain over the two or three days it was here.
                Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Dileon. I hope and pray you remain safe, and hopefully dry. Your descriptions and pics remind me of Louisiana during our all too frequent hurricanes.

Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                    Dileon. I hope and pray you remain safe, and hopefully dry. Your descriptions and pics remind me of Louisiana during our all too frequent hurricanes.
                    I agree the rain from a hurricane.... It is raining now.....Kauai has major warnings now, as it is raining hard again and rivers are rising again. Everything is questionable what will happen today... I do not travel when we have flash flood watches, as the only road that goes around the island always goes under when the weather is rather insane. Last thing I want to do is get stuck in the people zoo....Honolulu.

Comment

Working...
                    X