• Gleber
    replied
    And now I know the story of, "Hoopin Holler Haint"

Thanks for a good read.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    I go back for my 8-week shots next Thurs. See what the doc has to say, I'm very pleased with what they have given me
    Had to google 'Mon Ami' means my friend, right back you

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    Here in the islands, the locals use a large number of words from various countries....plus they use words that immigrants use because they can not pronounce a word. So we have Hawaiian, Japanese, Filipino, other countries words plus broken English ...what is left a language that can not understand as English at all. What is a surprise to people is I can understand and speak it....which .not a normal among the white population. The older I get...the less I think of proper English...since we really do not speak it as Americans plus more....I speak often whatever I feel like speaking. Political correctness....is only for that who...think they are better than others, and we all know what people really think of them.

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Joe, your post reminded me of a visit to the Medical store to change out equipment for my CPAP machine. The Technician was working with me when a man entered. She said, "Hi, Mr. Bently. Be with you in a moment."

It's a small area and we began chatting. Then we arrived at the, "I'm a Cajun from Louisiana point." We really started exchanging information about growing up in the swamps.

Finally, the Technician said, "The longer you two talk to each other. The less I understand!" We looked at each other and burst out laughing. Neither of us were attempting to drop back into the Cajun patois that passes for English.

Also the first visit after marriage that Diana and I made to Louisiana. We were gathered at my parents home with all the relatives. One elderly man started telling a "story". As are most, it was laced with humor and I was laughing when Diana leaned over and said, "I thought you told me that you and your family didn't speak much French."

I really started laughing as I told her, "Diana, that man thinks he's speaking perfect English. That is as close as he can get."

The older I get, according to Diana, the more Cajun begins to crop up in my statements. More the rhythm and slightly off pronouncement of words ~ than adding French phrases. I do try to refrain from statements such as, "I am so glad for you to see me today" and simply say "It's nice to see you today".

It was just so easy to respond to Authur's post exactly as I would tell it if back home. Especially, because of his reference to the Loup Garou (werewolf) that everyone said was a myth. But, everyone obviously had some level of belief that he did exist.

By-the-way my Frien' (Mon Ami from my Cajun youth), the eye medication they have been using, for the last year, is just not doing the job they had hoped. The Doc is changing to something else and is going to use a "kicker" of steroid that seems to make it work better. He's not even talking about 6 months anymore. His goal, now, is 3 months. Will let you know how it goes.
    Last edited by Paul_Guraedy; 03-29-2018, 06:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Alright already, English you two

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Mais, yeah, Paul, I heard the same explanation from T-Boy Boudreaux, so it must be true!

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Arthur,my Frien', your post brought back memories of the swamps I left so long ago. Hunting during the day and sitting around a campfire telling stories at the end of the day. The werewolf was a favorite.

My frien, dat Loup Garou, he da outlaw kin to da haints.

Back fore humans mess with da 'Chafalaya, da loup garou, he more lac da wolf. More lac da haints. He lac da fac dat da 'Chafalaya ain lak no uder river in da world. She flow to da Misisipi when it low 'n reverse itsef 'n flow to da Gulf when da Misipipi be floodin.

Man den come long 'n mess with da river. Try turn it into da canal. Momma Nature, she ain happy an da loup garou he ain happy. He dun turn mean. Dun hate people what change his home. Only come out in da full moonlight.

Dey ain' no buyin him off wid corn whiskey. I like it dat he only in dem Louziana swamp. Hope he don ever come visitin his cuzzin here in da Hoopin Holler.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Paul.I've heard from a Louisiana troll named Aya-Kah Tsk-tsk that the Hoopin Holler haints are kin to the Loup Garou of the Atchafalaya Swamp hereabouts...fact, or is he lying to me again?

Leave a comment:

• squbrigg
    replied
    Love your stories Paul, I do hope you are keeping a collection.

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    should write a book, what a joy to read.....you have a gift for words

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Paul, you are not only a wonderful carver but also a storyteller

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Arthur, in the past few years I have had a couple of neighbors tell me that there are painters in the area. One with young.

Game and Fish swears it ain't so. Maybe I have not seen anything of them because that big old sow bear claims the Holler as Her'n. Come to think of it she's big enough to ride. Maybe I should worry about her? I still have a few packages of one of her young'uns (she's been havin a couple a year for at least 5 years) in my deep freeze.

Maybe she has a partnership with the Haint? Won't hurt to double my offering specially since Bruce ain't helpin.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Paul, I've heard that deep, deep in the Hollows, that haints have been known to hitch rides on painters...true, or just legend?

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Paul - I admire your keen reflections on your Hoopin' Holler legends. You have a way with words. - Phil

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    Now haint that something? Nice story Paul.

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

Working...
X