A wood carvers home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A wood carvers home.

As I read the posting about a sign carved for a TV room in another thread and saw the posted photographs, I was struck by the curious thought of what the rest of his house looked like, carvings wise. This train of thought has run ramped through the corners of my mind before, wondering what other carvers homes look like with their work displayed and almost as important, the things in their home that bring inspiration to them. Often it may be a photograph or drawing or painting of their favorite subject and theme. What does your home look like? Is it full of your work; the work of others; what type of art is displayed? The curious would like to know. Share with us.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Well, Bob, I guess I'll bite! My house is a single story 3 bedroom ranch--of course one bedroom has been completely taken over by the resident woodchuck. But thanks to my wonderful wife, the rest of the house is well decorated for every holiday and every season. She loves to decorate, and of course, I add to her decorative flair with the occasional carving. Obviously, Christmas is the coup de grace since just about every woodcarver jumps on the Christmas woodcarving bandwagon. That's when the ornaments come from everywhere--even the ones I had long forgotten about from the last century--ok--late 1990's. But even now, with Easter, there is an Easter bunny holding a giant carrot, some decorative eggs I've carved, and a few wood Peep bunnies sitting on the knick knack shelf in the living room. From time to time, she has her pins that I carve and they end up laying here and there until they're put away. There's the woodcarvings that I have started and are works of progress sitting on the end table nagging at me to finish them but of course, I need to let art take it's path. Lest no woodcarving be rushed! There are paintings, flower arrangements, and other crafts that my wife has created. Like I said she loves to decorate. There are knitting and crochet projects started here and there. She's an avid knitter and crocheter. She teaches both at Michael's arts and crafts where she works as a cashier--along with teaching arts and crafts to kids. So, there is a definite presence of just about every type of creative activity in my home.

As for inspiration, it comes from everywhere with me. I definitely have gotten ideas from Michelle's decorating. But I could just see an advertisement anywhere and an idea pops in my head. Sometimes, I'll peruse Pinterest for ideas if I hit a drought in the imagination department. But mostly, I have back issues of Carving and WCI Magazines to draw ideas from.

So, there you have it. A "normal" woodcarver's house. Rest easy, I have spared you the details of what a cat lover's house looks like. We'll just let that one by. Any cat lover probably knows what I'm talking about. BTW--we also have a couple of furry woodcarvers who like to do their creating on the aspen 2x4 leg of the work bench. They don't do paint though. But they do keep their tools sharp!

Bob L
    Last edited by Just Carving; 03-26-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

My wife wants to keep things I do. There are carvings on the wall and or on a table in all the rooms in our house. Some I wish weren’t but a happy wife = a happy life. I am about to start working on a walking stick and cane stand for 20 sticks.
      We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
      https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

I have Sticks and Canes in 2 Corners , I even built a Shelf for a Few Bust Carvings. I also have my Fun Wall which I have ed before. I give some away but I'm Running out of Space. The Wife does Cross Stitch Scene and they are on Walls. looks like a Hobby Shop , but Comfortable . Merle 1-PICT0003[1]-1.JPG

Comment

Merle - nice to hear another wife doing Cross Stitch. I create patterns for my wife, she comes up with a picture and I make one. Keep that in mind if she just wants one. There are so few of us around. Martin

Comment

Well,I do have a collecton I have worked on many years,here' just my living room.
            Attached Files
            Mark N. Akers
            My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

More carvings
              Attached Files
              Mark N. Akers

Comment

And more carvings.
                Attached Files
                Mark N. Akers

Comment

And finally my Sentimental Santa Mantel
                  Attached Files
                  Mark N. Akers

Comment

Hey Mark!.... did you ever consider carving a Santa?....lol. .....Beautiful work.
                    Wayne
                    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Yep, carvings everywhere mine, friends, purchased. Spent most of my Ranger career in the west so we built this house to reflect that. Over 1/2 of the house is the kitchen/dining/living room.
                      North.jpgP6200001.JPGP6200002.JPGP6200003.JPGP6200004.JPG

Comment

Well, I only have about a half dozen carvings on display at home...most of my work is asked for by family, given as gifts, or donated. What with art work of a couple of family artists and several generations of family photos and pictures, our space is limited. For the most part, I'd rather have others enjoy my work than to keep it, but seeing others' nice collections of their carvings I must admit a touch of envy!
                        Arthur

Comment

Very nice collections folks. I have a few located in a display cabinet but most have been given away. My lovely wife says "and who do you think is going to dust THESE???" Guess I can't argue that one.

Tinwood

Comment

Love it, that's the spirit folks! Thank you for sharing with us. Mark, I some how knew that your house would be somewhere I would enjoy visiting, I have always admired your work. Paul's place is another gem, so many stories in all those pieces. Merle, is just going to show us the one shelf, but it's a dandy, thanks Merle. Bob L, Randy, Tinwood and Arthur, some photos would help us envision the scene.

Keep up the good work folks and to all the others who haven't shared yet, get to it!

Bob
                            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark N. Akers View Post
                              And finally my Sentimental Santa Mantel
                              Awesome Santa’s Mark!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X