Story Telling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Telling

Story telling was a major factor in the days before television. The period in which I grew up. I started writing, and sending my stories while still a Park Ranger. When I returned home to visit relatives ~ I constantly heard, "Tell us the one about.......!" Writing is OK. But, the stories are best when related with vocalizations, hand gestures, facial expressions. and dramatic pauses. I miss the Oral Culture of my youth.

My Frien's, with 61 views and no objections, some responses, I am encouraged with my posting of my story, Hoopin Holler Haint. If I don't receive objections, I will probably post another in a month or so. I wrote one entitled, "X & Y Chromosones Plus Woodcarving" that might be of some interest.

You're right, Paul. Now the stories have to be backed up with computer-generated special effects, fireworks, and a back-up choir to get one's attention.

Comment

Paul, that was a well-crafted story which took time to read.
      I don't see that today. The past 40 years of children's television is fast paced like adult television.
      There's nothing left to the imagination. It's non-stop "tease and payoff" formatting.

CGI killed off a lot of traditional technologies, commercial pyrotechnics as an example.
      Maybe that's what it takes to get people's attention, given the variety of modern options?
      Sure, it's admirable. Knowing it's all green screen is a bulk disappointment.

Of all the half-baked carvings on my bench, the story poles are the things that I really want to finish.

Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Guraedy View Post
        Story telling was a major factor in the days before television. The period in which I grew up. I started writing, and sending my stories while still a Park Ranger. When I returned home to visit relatives ~ I constantly heard, "Tell us the one about.......!" Writing is OK. But, the stories are best when related with vocalizations, hand gestures, facial expressions. and dramatic pauses. I miss the Oral Culture of my youth.

My Frien's, with 61 views and no objections, some responses, I am encouraged with my posting of my story, Hoopin Holler Haint. If I don't receive objections, I will probably post another in a month or so. I wrote one entitled, "X & Y Chromosones Plus Woodcarving" that might be of some interest.
        Your writing brought back old memories of my own haunts and hollows of days when I was in high school and younger. The love of nature and more. I love stories like this....and an appreciated it more then I can express. I do not have the gift of expression of words.....but I read tons of books, ....although a good one is rare to find For me you do not need a live storyteller....I read your post five times because I enjoyed it so much. Honestly, I rather read a good book, vs....a good movie. I enjoy it and it leaves time and space for my own feelings, memories, and stories of my own making. Today everything is so filled with violence, angrier and BS....that I long for real depth in things. Stories like this and other peoples are very enjoyable and more. Please anyone got a good story I want to read it!!!!!
        Last edited by DiLeon; 03-27-2018, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Dang right, you send us another one of your great stories.yipe, yipe, yipe
          . . .JoeB

Comment

There is a lot of pleasure in the telling. When I retired in 1996, my wife & I traveled for two years, and many extended trips after. We sent home brief stories of our adventures - hiking, biking, kayaking. The stories were limited to one page so they could be included in our ski club newsletter. If the story was longer, we broke it into pieces Some parts were published elsewhere, such as "1000 miles in a kayak" in the Atlantic Coastal Kayaker magazine. Altogether there were 115 pieces (chapters). I had been the editor of a hobby magazine for 12 years in the 70's and 80's, so the writing was easy and fun.

Comment

Keep 'em coming. Looking forward to the next one...

Tom

Comment

Paul my friend, we look forward in great anticipation for your next story. I can certainly relate to story telling, all down through history sailors were the ones to travel the world and on arrival home, were obliged to tell the folks in the village or town of their travels. And some of the stories were actually true!

Bob
                Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Working...
                X