Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lionslair
    replied
    The latest go at it was from the gulf and it missed us some how. Then a TS in the gulf of calif and across Mexico came rain pouring in and we got less than an inch - those 10 miles north got inch and a half. Looking at the weather maps - I use several companies - a TS is coming into the Gulf of Mexico and might turn into something other than rain. At least my cement is drier now, but the raw dirt into the shop and observatory is mud. So I work on other stuff. Hope I can get to carving again - been on the back burner. Most of my summer design is completed.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
    How close is the eruption?
    About 189 miles. You know the first time I step on the Big Island the hairs on my neck and arms raised. There was always this uneasy feeling when I went there.....for me it would be the last place on the earth that I would live on a live volcano. The last week they have been getting tons of earthquakes and aftershocks....that is a warning that new holes of lava can come up. Lava here does not come from the top of mountains, it will open a vent in your field, your house, or the middle of the street. She had a scale 5 earthquake last night and then open another vent. Good thing did not feel it here....last time it shut off our electric and they could not get it going for two weeks. Over 70 earthquakes in the few days.

Just hours after residents in Puna's Leilani Estates subdivision fled with the clothes on their back. Thursday night after an eruption in Kilauea's east rift zone, yet another eruption sent lava soaring more than 100 feet into the air early Friday. The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirmed that active volcanic vents are erupting on Makamae and Mohala streets. The Hawaii County Civil Defense said all Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens subdivision residents are required to evacuate immediately.
    Hawaii County fire officials are also warning of extremely high levels of dangerous sulfur dioxide gas in the evacuation areas. Those with respiratory issues should leave the area immediately, they say. They say about 1,700 evacuations although this source is not known and get all kinds of numbers on this.

So we are on alert .... earthquakes from volcanos can cause Tsunamis....plus the ash and other issues. Plus we never know....what the volcano is going to do. 180504034247-bt106-hawaii-volcano-05042018-exlarge-169.jpg Big Island is on major alert...and the lava is moving. We here on the islands get tons of news about the volcano activities and so it is normal everyday living. Here is a picture of new lava ....that black and red areas and yellow areas are lava that is moving through the trees. So is life sitting on top active and live volcanos, now we will have some dummies go out to look and get burned or killed?

There is news just coming in...... new cracks continue to open up..... and it is getting nasty over there....they say the sulfur is bad. There are great videos out there about the volcano if your interest. Right now trying to find friends in the area.
    Last edited by DiLeon; 05-04-2018, 12:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Great morning for a cup of coffee on the porch. However we are warming up. Mid 80’s and more humid these days. Sadly all my years complaining about the humid summers down here has not resulted in a change in the weather, Oh well maybe this summer someone will hear me, OR NOT. Whatever your weather enjoy your day everyone!.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    How close is the eruption?

Leave a comment:

• papasar
    replied
    Thanks for a good chuckle D1! lmbo
    Bill K.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    cd3892-human-bear-encounters-birthday-card.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• lionslair
    replied
    It isn't spring here until the Pecan puts out 'flowers' to make nuts. The tree is very reliable on prediction. Often we get early spring and friends and others plant flowers that freeze a week later. Now only wind and rain. So the temp never drops much below 60 if it does and soon it will be in the 70's over night. Hope for rain to cool the ground for a nicer day coming. Martin

Leave a comment:

• papasar
    replied
    90 here on Long Island NY

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Gona hit the 90s today , I think we went from Winter to Summer , Boy I hope not. Merle

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    It is pouring here again......wow .....me too!!!....cats.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Dileon: Somewhere in the last day or so, I did read that the gauge in Waipa set a record. More than 4 feet of rain water overnight.

We might have spring. Reports of returning migrating humming birds (male Rufous show up first) 2 days ago.
    Yesterday, there were little bugs flying around inside my house. Still a few 6' snowplow piles in some ditches in the village.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    New records.....when it rains like I tell people you have seen nothing til you come here. The National Weather Service says rainfall totals from Kauai's last flash-flooding event may have shattered the national rainfall record for a 24-hour period. We are still raining.... This is the latest news.

Initial data from a rain gage in Waipa, Kauai recorded 49.69 inches of rain from April 14 to 15.

The highest rainfall record in a 24-hour period currently belongs to Alvin, Texas, where 43 inches of rain was recorded on July 25 to 26, 1979.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Here in Maryland I just saw a few Snow Flakes , thought I was seeing things . Merle

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    My wife and I are now at Bainbridge Island, WA. The weather is nice today. We're getting a reputation for bringing California weather with us. Seattle was on its way to a record April rain total. Now we've stopped that!

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    4C/40F this AM. Spring and summer are over, they were Sunday and Monday.
    We're back to white winter in the night. Maybe 2" and the streets are bare and wet.
    Even with the bedroom curtains shut, I just know it's too bright for spring browns.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X