Other kinds of art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dileon View Post

About 30 years ago the electric company quoted in order to get a kiln in my shop would cost about 13,000 dollars to wire from the street to the shop..., along with the kiln and cost of electrical power plus time, It was not cost effective to fire my own work. Even in the mainland was the same issue before that.... all my firing was done in a ceramic shop .... I taught classes in exchange that they would fire my work. So I hired a few big ceramic shops to do all my firing....the real trick was getting the greenware in one piece to his shop. Today that cost must be unbelievable to wire for such a thing.
    When I installed the kiln in my shop behind my house, I didn't have to get the electric company involved at all. I just had a private electrician run a wire from the street to the shop. It just pulled 220, so maybe your kiln was much larger.
    Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post

Speaking of which, Di, why not favor us with pics of some of your art other than woodcarving? It's always fun to see the variety of work done in other media by multi-talented members of the forum.
      Hi Denny. Your deep relief of the hut really turned out great. Well done.

Here’s some steel work that I also do. Fences ,Gates, Wall light scones, Methalated spirit fire pits, Canadian Geese ceiling lights. All done with a hand held Plasma cutter and some patience. It’s good to mix it up a bit with the different mediums.

regards Richard
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 10 photos.
      Last edited by Claude; 05-02-2018, 12:45 PM. Reason: Richard: I moved your post to this thread to give it a better chance to be found with the search engines. Beautiful work! Claude

Comment

Beautiful work. Artist's must. It's that simple.

Sounds like you must have needed three phase power. That can get spendy. I remember when my father had to get it run for his milling machine.

Comment

Two more ceramic works as most of them had multiple handles and some had up to seven heads. They are not all this color but the dark ones did not photograph well. Oh, yea the snake is a real one......belongs to my sister. My sister stole this first vessel out of my house when on vacation,.... I told her just ask!! I would have given it to her.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Sorry the photos are blurry and color is bad....these are painting that I have not sold.....I call them my junk paintings leftovers. These are a large painting. The middle one is mural on a wall about 9 ft by 5 ft. I did lots of oil painting from my teens to my mid-thirties......sold almost all of them.
            This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

I did a lot of cement work. Before I started wood carving ,,,,,dragons coming out of broken walls ....designs on walls. Making special pots for plants. Almost all of it is covered up by my wood pile......This was one who got his head knocked off so I buried it in the garden and let it age.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Very nice work, Richard! Thanks for sharing.
                Arthur

Comment

I do some craftwork for fun. I also make backdrops for the art that I have bought. These parrots had a false bamboo shaped around them. .I made these very large wind spinner by cooking plastic beads in the oven. Craftwork from making blankets to plastics arts to jewelry painted seats and umbrellas ...you name it ....I probably have messed around with it. Right now I am painting flowers on my outdoor cushions. The last one is painted wood with fabric wings.
                  Last edited by DiLeon; 05-01-2018, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I also have done other crafts...Got started doing beadwork while a Boy Scout Leader about 40 years ago. One thing led to another and I created some beaded art.. In addition to these, I also did a Rainbow, but sold it several years ago, so I don't have a photo of it framed. Each of these has more than 10,000 11/0 seed beads in it. Measure roughly 14 by 5 inches. All are loom beaded.

Claude
                    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                    My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

My "non-work" activities started with camping, hunting, fishing and competition shooting with pistols and rifles. At age 40 I was stationed (National Park Ranger) in the desert. I got plenty of everything but hunting and fishing as part of my occupation. I decided to take up a "hobby" that I could do in my "off-duty" time. Another Ranger did leatherwork and got me started. I got fairly good at it; but, I tired of belts, purses, and billfolds.

In 1980, I read an article, in an "outdoor" type magazine of about a decoy carver. I bought a flexshaft carved a half-decoy as my first piece and as they say ........the rest is history.
                      Half duck decoy.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                        I also have done other crafts...Got started doing beadwork while a Boy Scout Leader about 40 years ago. One thing led to another and I created some beaded art.. In addition to these, I also did a Rainbow, but sold it several years ago, so I don't have a photo of it framed. Each of these has more than 10,000 11/0 seed beads in it. Measure roughly 14 by 5 inches. All are loom bead
                        Claude
                        Wow now that takes major patience.....I love looking at stuff like this!

Comment

Pretty talented group of people here. Thanks to all for sharing.

Tinwood

Comment

Wow. I sure hang out with some amazing folks.

I think maybe I need to shop for a new knife or something ...
                            HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Working...
                            X