Volcano is rocking and rolling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volcano is rocking and rolling.

I am moving this post to here. One,... I do not live on the Big Island called Hawaii. I live about 200 miles away in Oahu.

You know the first time I step on the Big Island the hairs on my neck and arms raised. There was always this uneasy feeling when I went there.....for me it would be the last place on the earth that I would live on a live volcano. The last week they have been getting tons of earthquakes and aftershocks....that is a warning that new holes of lava can come up. Lava here does not come from the top of mountains, it will open a vent in your field, your house, or the middle of the street. She had a scale 5 earthquake last night and then open another vent. Over 70 earthquakes in the few days. People say it was tremors all night last night. Big Island has electric shut down as a norm for earthquakes.

Just hours after residents in Puna's Leilani Estates subdivision fled with the clothes on their back. Thursday night after an eruption in Kilauea's east rift zone, yet another eruption sent lava soaring more than 100 feet into the air early Friday. The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirmed that active volcanic vents are erupting on Makamae and Mohala streets. The Hawaii County Civil Defense said all Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens subdivision residents are required to evacuate immediately.
    Hawaii County fire officials are also warning of extremely high levels of dangerous sulfur dioxide gas in the evacuation areas. Those with respiratory issues should leave the area immediately, they say. They say about 1,700 evacuations although this source is not known and get all kinds of numbers on this. Thousands are being asked to get ready to go. Numbers could be up to 10,000 although the news has tons of information unknown what is going on right now.

So we are on alert .... earthquakes from volcanos can cause Tsunamis....plus the ash and other issues. Plus we never know....what the volcano is going to do. Big Island is on major alert...and the lava is moving. We here on the islands get tons of news about the volcano activities and so it is normal everyday living. Here is a picture of new lava ....that black and red areas and yellow areas are lava that is moving through the trees. So is life sitting on top active and live volcanos, now we will have some dummies go out to look and get burned or killed?

There is news just coming in...... new cracks continue to open up..... and it is getting nasty over there....they say the sulfur is bad. There are great videos out there about the volcano if your interest. Right now trying to find friends in the area.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

What a bummer. Hope everyone stays safe.
    Terry

Comment

Just got word....they say cracks are opening and then later a tremor and later they open up and spill poisonous gas and lava. They also said the tremors are going on major....plus the worry that the big volcano has a lake ....if she opens up....there will be major explosions. People over there are so used to the active volcano that they do not pay attention until you streets start cracking like this. volcano 1.jpg

Comment

volcano 2.pngA friend from the big island sent me this....this is why they are concerned.

Comment

meanwhile here at my house......elevated flash flood threat for Kauai County and Oahu. .

Comment

Breaking news .....the worst thing about breaking news ...will not know the real story until later. Hawaii volcano evacuation: 10,000 told to get out NOW as Kilauea erupts

TEN thousand people have been ordered to evacuate their homes in Hawaii after Kilauea volcano released lava into residential areas following numerous days of earthquakes.

Comment

Well, all the bells and alarms went off a few minutes ago......civil defense alarm blasting in my house .... another earthquake 5.6 on the big island could be felt around the islands. Starting to get a little freaky. No tsunami the radio just said. Time to get the run up the mountain bags out ...for a bug outrun just in case the worst happens...... I really feel for everyone on that island.

Comment

When I heard about the Volcano Erupting today I thought about you and if you were Safe. Good to hear you are doing OK , Stay Safe Di. Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                  When I heard about the Volcano Erupting today I thought about you and if you were Safe. Good to hear you are doing OK , Stay Safe Di. Merle
                  Honestly on twitter which I need to get rid of!!!...they are talking about the super volcano. I am safe as long as that island under the sea does not pop up which is the worst case old-time worry. The earthquakes are getting worst (bad news, two new vents open up)....even we felt the last one. Still got the electric on so far. An I am tsunami, earthquake ready if Pele does come alive......No one is talking much which is not good news right now. Us feeling that earthquake,... means serious damage in the Big Island. Pele is the island volcano goddess.

This is the warning for us on this island, which about 3 percent of people know about......If you're on the coast and you feel a quake, you want to turn 90 degrees and head mauka, (Mountainside.) He says there's no need to panic, all you need is about five to ten minutes tsunami arrival from the big island.
                  Last edited by DiLeon; 05-04-2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Hope all remains well with you, Di.
                    Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                      Hope all remains well with you, Di.
                      Well if the alarms will remain calm.....I have them on super loud in case I am in shop. The earth does not shake again....we will ok. Anyone wanting to come here for vacation, I bet you can get cheap last minute tickets.....LOL

Comment

Well, another earthquake....alarms, and bells screaming from civil defense....... If I could say a few coarse bad words I would
                        Two major earthquakes.....Just an hour after a large tremor Friday morning, a 6.9-magnitude earthquake shook the Big Island on Friday afternoon, sending people fleeing from buildings and community centers and increasing concerns about new eruptions in Puna's Leilani Estates.
                        Last edited by DiLeon; 05-04-2018, 07:18 PM. Reason: Keep up grading scale of earthquake....

Comment

I thought the Island chain was moving North Westward towards the lessor islands of ancient times - Midway - the very very old Hawaii to me looking at the ocean mounts and islands. The hot spot was said to be building a new island. Maybe the big island is Jealous of the new one being made... My brother and sister in law plus a Nephew live on the big island down on the Kona side not the flowing glowing side. Wonder what a good quake does to a Pod of whales ? I can see a school of fish the size of my house ziz zag through the lagoon when a disturbance (TNT) occurred. I lived in Northern Ca about 7 miles from the quake that shook San Fran Cisco. Oh that is Francisco not the company name of the lower bay. :-) Get roller skates and rock and roll! Say away from knives in tight corners. Stay safe. Martin

Comment

wow, is there an influx of people coming to oahu to wait it out a bit? i have a set of relatives on the big island, i dont have tv news so i hadnt heard anything about this goings on. thanks for the posts !
                            Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Di, I hope you were able to get some sleep last night and, more, I hope Pele goes back to sleep, too.
                              HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Working...
                              X