Is it just me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me

I don't know how many times when I'm carving I wish I could switch to my left hand. I keep trying but just can't get the true feel of it. Grrrrrr.
    . . .JoeB

You're normal. Keep trying. Your hand-eye motor control each uses the opposite half of your brain, as you know.
    Switching back and forth is something that your brain does not want to do.

Left side is the analytical side, the control side, that also runs your right hand. It wants to stay that way and not give up to right side.

I'm ambidexterous but I am more relaxed writing with my left hand (using right side).
    The funny part is that speech is right side as well. I can't draw/write/paint/carve and talk at the same time!
    But I can deliberately drive my thinking into the creative right side, just about any time I wish.
    That took practice, recall that it was drawing. Seeing things rather than just looking at them.

However, a pair of skews or a pair of crooked knives, one in each hand, makes working sense in my head.
    Where the carving marks look different is when I texture a surface with an elbow adze.
    My right and left strike patterns are different, as much as I try to make them the same.

Could be the expected motion of the tool. Are some tools easier to switch with than others?

There are lots of brain-damaged humans. Accident victims.
    They go through assessment programs to figure out what they can/can't do.
    Some of the discoveries are things I write above.
    Brian T

Comment

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. ..........
      If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Maybe you should try a double-edged blade that would be equally useful in either hand.
        Hafting these blades is easy, I set all mine 15 degrees up crooked on the handle.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...30,43332,43339

The hogging blade is more usefully thicker # 06D10.45. The #4 06D.34 is OK.
        The tight sweeps are not generally useful unless you plan to carve a lot of feast bowls.
        Brian T

Comment

It is no surprise that my brain has arguments when I switch hand, It is always arguing with itself anyway
          . . .JoeB

Comment

I learned different terminology on the range at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. Instead of right hand and left hand they used the terms ~ dominant hand and weak hand. Interestingly, many shooters, myself included ~ scored highest on the weak hand. One of the instructors said, "I believe it is because you tend to concentrate more when not using your dominant hand".

My right hand is dominant ~ except when using a fishing rod and computer mouse. When I first started fishing ~ the only winding mechanism was on the right hand side of the reel. Backlashes were the nemesis until gently control was learned. My Dad did not approve of casting with one hand ~ then switching hands to reel in the line (hopefully fish included).

Once I leaned to cast without a backlash ~ with my weak hand ~ I was not interested in relearning this with my right hand. I reached the point of putting a bait anywhere I wanted ~ with my weak hand. I was lucky to get into the bayou ~ with my dominant hand.

Then came computers and the mouse. I did a lot of note taking and tired of switching hands. I remembered the old open reel fishing rods. It took a week or so ~ but now I can ONLY control that mouse with my left hand. Interestingly, my youngest son, a computer programmer listened to my story ~ pre-unattached mouse. He shortened the lead on his mouse and re-routed it so that it could only be used with the left hand. I asked, "Why?"

"None of my fellow workers use my computer now!" he replied.

Comment

When I was in the martial arts.... you learn fast one whole side of your body is major better than the other side. So we always trained on the bad side. It is not just your hands but arms ....legs, feet and other areas. I learned that you can train the other side to be as good but it takes major pushing and trying.
              . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                When I was in the martial arts.... you learn fast one whole side of your body is major better than the other side. So we always trained on the bad side. It is not just your hands but arms ....legs, feet and other areas. I learned that you can train the other side to be as good but it takes major pushing and trying.
                I don't think I have enough band-aids
                . . .JoeB

Comment

In first grade, the concept of "right" alluded me. I associated "right" to "wrong" and could never figure out what my teacher had against my other hand! Both my hands where "right" to me. But her and her ruler proved me wrong. Now that I am old and have lost partial use of my right arm, it is handy to be able to use my left. I don't even have to think when using a screwdriver, it just seems normal.

Comment

Working...
                  X