Just saw this article about the Fibonacci sequence in art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saw this article about the Fibonacci sequence in art

This article here talks about the golden ratio... and it intrigues me. Have you guys actually seen art that follow this rule or is it just some coincidence?
    The Golden Ratio has long been adored and adorned by many in pursuit of beauty and perfection. Such popularity has drawn the likes of the affluent celebrities.

daVinci painted examples to follow the Golden Ratio.

You can build 3-legged proportional dividers which lay out the Golden Ratio.
    The thing is actually pretty close.
    I built a bunch of them out of junk rosewood to sell at craft fairs and promptly mislaid the plans.

The next thing to look into is the mathematical precision for the positioning of all the seeds on a sunflower head.
    Brian T

Comment

Honestly, I think it is a bunch of Hooey... I am among the thought that....Humans creatures who are genetically programmed to see patterns and to seek meaning. It’s not in our DNA to be comfortable with arbitrary things like aesthetics, so we try to back them up with our often limited grasp of math. But most people don’t really understand math, or how even a simple formula like the golden ratio applies to a complex system, so we can’t error-check ourselves. People think they see the golden ratio around them, in the natural world and the objects they love, but they can’t actually prove it. They are victims to their natural desire to find meaning in the pattern of the universe, without the math skills to tell them that the patterns they think they see are illusory. If you see the golden ratio in your favorite artwork, you’re probably seeing things. We want to do things like count sand .....rather know it is just sand. World today is full of this kind of thinking, does it mean any of it is real or that it really matters? I think not. One person opinion....
      Affluent celebrities.......most speak without any education on the matter.... Great actors in life and on the screen I believe they should not be talking about math or anything beyond that.
      Last edited by DiLeon; 06-11-2018, 03:07 PM.
      . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

In the earliest days of truly inquisitive science, the Golden Ratio might have been a construct in support of some ethereal plan.
        I never used the proportional dividers. I sold a few, the rest are in a coffee can on a shelf.

In paintings, I've seen overlays to show the Golden Ratio used to position both figures and body positions.
        Over and over again in the same painting. I'll suppose they did it to prove a point then quit!

What is impressive is the mathematical precision of plant shapes, leaf shapes and leaf positions.
        Using Mandelbrot Fractals, you can, for example, substitute a '2' for a '3' and every time you do this,
        you create another image of a particular species of fern leaf. Dozens of fern species.
        Brian T

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vVxL60YFJU
          Greg

Comment

Here is a carving project that is distorted by a mathematical transformation, but not a Fibonacci sequence:

https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...-gallery/page3

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
              Here is a carving project that is distorted by a mathematical transformation, but not a Fibonacci sequence:

https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...-gallery/page3
              Phil I believe that Escher's work is the only one that I would class as real art and math. As art,... it holds one's attention to details and wonder. What you may call pure art with a touch of class and math.
              . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Working...
              X