No announcement yet.

Your Weather Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big thunderstorm with a light show rolled through after dark last night.
    Has been raining ever since which is really good and sopping wet for the forests.
    Too smokey still to see any new local fires from lightning. = very gloomy.
    Brian T

Comment

It is hot, humid, little wind....super muggy. The news is we probably have another hurricane headed our way???..... I hate this month.....
      Last edited by Dileon; 08-15-2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

At least you can see! 3PM is the new midnight 3-4 hrs west of me. Just 1 km visibility here.
        The smoke west of here is really bad. Lots of people with respiratory challenges are in distress.
        3000+ people evacuated from 1,500+ properties. The big Evac Centers are up and running, 500+ in Prince George already.

2017 was a record year for wild fires. This year is far, far worse than that. Some people went north into the Yukon! Only escape route!
        Canadian Armed Forces are here to do all the road patrols and traffic management like they did last summer.
        We don't have many roads, no drive-arounds. The wild fires are a threat to our food security as well.

Just today, the Province of British Columbia has declared a real State of Emergency.

Nearest fire is 25(?) miles south of the village, up the Kiwa river. Little threat to us so far.

Except for drinking water, I'm ready to run for 3 weeks, cruising range 500 miles/800km.
        Brian T

Comment

Hot mid 90's - had to water plants that needed it badly. Promise of 4 days of rain never happened. I'm expecting my Telescope Dome to be shipped this week so the ground being dry and easy to move around on with tractor and feet is nice. Wish we had some deep clouds. Such is life. I'll likely get it next week in a rain storm. Forklift cardboard boxes off a truck in rain is fun.

Comment

White sky again this morning until the NW wind picked up. Sky going yellow and getting gloomy.
            Probably from the Shovel Lake fire 250 miles WNW. It's burning 100km^2 per day now. Total over 780km^2.
            Two other fires over there are 600+ now. No sun in the city of Prince George = night time dark at noon.
            Maybe rain showers maybe a week from now.

And no birds sing.
            Brian T

Comment

We in Louisiana and the Gulf Coast have had dust from the Sahara desert in our atmosphere for the second time this year, leading to some less than clear skies but spectacular sunrises and sunsets. Interesting to see the satellite and computer images showing how the high level winds swirl the dust over the Atlantic.
              Arthur

Comment

Only +6C this August morning. +18C/65F in the kitchen. Turned on the furnace.
                I can see across the street. I figured out where the sun was. Bright white sky and N breeze.

Arthur: I suppose your houses fill up with African dust if you leave the windows open?
                We get a glittery sheen of rock dust off the local mountains (2 miles away local) all year long.

Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                  Only +6C this August morning. +18C/65F in the kitchen. Turned on the furnace.
                  I can see across the street. I figured out where the sun was. Bright white sky and N breeze.

Arthur: I suppose your houses fill up with African dust if you leave the windows open?
                  We get a glittery sheen of rock dust off the local mountains (2 miles away local) all year long.
                  No, Brian, the dust doesn't appear evident at ground level. It apparently stays suspended aloft; I speculate that it's very fine and kept moving through by high altitude winds; also, our high humidity and subsequent heavy dew every night must have a cleansing effect. Only evidence of the dust is somewhat hazy skies and the mentioned sunsets/sunrises. If it wasn't for the TV weathermen I wouldn't have given the condition a second thought...so much affects us and our fellow creatures that we know not about...gives one pause for thought.
                  Last edited by Arthur C.; 08-18-2018, 05:24 PM. Reason: Edited to correct typo
                  Arthur

Comment

Hurricane Lane right now a Cat 3 .....unknown if she will hit?...models do not agree with the direction of the tracking. But they told us to get ready for a late Wednesday/ Thursday hit,.... and major watch this one......, we are going to be looking at not so much wind as we will the rain...major looking not in inches but as in feet. This hurricane is wrapped heavy in rain. Right now flash flood warning, and then the calm before the storm two nice days on Mon and Tuesday. Hopeful we can find out the direction in the next few days. This kind of hurricanes where they are not saying much, unknown directions.....it will be a last minute tie it down if she tracks north.

The volcano is officially taken off the warning to a watch with no activity.
                    Last edited by Dileon; 08-19-2018, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Breaking news.......Residents & visitors throughout Hawaii should rush their storm preparations from their Hurricane Action Plan to completion today and tomorrow. It is becoming more likely that direct or indirect threats from Hurricane Lane will impact Hawaii beginning late Wednesday.

Destructive floods, mud/rock slides, coastal flooding, and wind damage are all possible threats from this storm.

Hawaii has suffered from several natural disasters this year: epic floods on Kauai, earthquakes on Hawaii, and the Lower East Rift Zone volcanic eruption

Unfortunately, it is appearing increasingly likely that Hurricane Lane may add to the woes of the Aloha State.

Darn I was planning on carving....now I am pissed.......

Comment

Yup. Pi$$ed. No better way to describe it. I still hope the track changes. I'll find a NOAA map to follow.

Clearing here as the breeze is pushing the big smoke into the SW = lower mainland/Vancouver.
                        Hazy sunshine and I see mountain shapes all around me again.

For smoke particulates per cubic meter, British Columbia is at the top of the scale.
                        That makes this place the worst air on planet Earth. Nobody else is even close.
                        Brian T

Comment

[QUOTE=Robson Valley;n1139863]Yup. Pi$$ed. No better way to describe it. I still hope the track changes. I'll find a NOAA map to follow.

Clearing here as the breeze is pushing the big smoke into the SW = lower mainland/Vancouver.
                          Hazy sunshine and I see mountain shapes all around me again.
                          39535964_1809977905738746_3472808313849118720_n.png t
                          Tracking keep moving it is one of those hurricane that is total been unpredictable...she could do or go anywhere right now we are in the path.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Which island do you live on
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Thank you Dileon. That's exactly the sort of map I was thinking of.
                              Brian T

Comment

At least it is coming in on the windward side of the island. That cone is rather large and so uncertain the further it gets out. Often they veer to one side or another. Since the Hawaiian islands sit in the middle of the Pacific Plate I should mention that there has been large quakes around the sides and might have adjusted the plate. We only hope it is over for this decade. Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X