• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
    Which island do you live on
    Second from the top Oahu

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post
      At least it is coming in on the windward side of the island. That cone is rather large and so uncertain the further it gets out. Often they veer to one side or another. Since the Hawaiian islands sit in the middle of the Pacific Plate I should mention that there has been large quakes around the sides and might have adjusted the plate. We only hope it is over for this decade. Martin
      This hurricane is sort of like Sandy extremely unpredictable, spaghetti models are changing every six hours...it is a fact they have no idea what is going to do. In other words, it is doing its own thing. One of the trackings has a direct hit on the big island and the whole thing travels up the island chain. Too many people are upset because the turn to the north and being very unpredictable was what happens when Iniki a cat 4 hit Kauai. Kauai is the island on top. If it stays on this path....40 inches of rain is possible. yuk....

Comment

The map keeps bringing the tracking nearer to the islands....hurricane is almost a CAT 5. Honestly I am mental exhausted.....time rip this house apart and prepare for a possible direct strike. As the NOAA radio blast me out of bed this AM...with the watch for Big Island and Maui. The weather outside right now perfect and quiet....give one the willies...to see the hurricane below us. This hurricane is meteorologist nightmare,... they have no idea where this thing is going.....as their are tons of different ideas. If it hits ....our island it will be Friday? maps are different on this idea.

Comment

That's dark news. I hope you don't mind, I think I'll stay home.

We have the second nice day for a long time. The air seems to have pushed most of the smoke up somebody else's nose.
          "Nice" means thin white smoke haze, not much stink, sunshine that's not orange, high today in the 70's and a breeze.

Airline flights cancelled for visibility. Triathlon races cancelled, outdoor football and soccer camps cancelled.
          In bad places west of me, people don't even go out to cut the grass. Simple surgical masks turn out to be useless.

On some big fires, the water bomber aircraft stood down because they can't see what they are suppose to be doing!
          Brian T

Comment

Here in the Portland Oregon area, we now have fires burning at all four points of the compass. So we are downwind no matter what. None are close, but my eyes are sure burning.
            HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

I spoke too soon! Just had a really dense stinker of a puff of smoke roll through here 11 - 2PM.
              Eastern range disappeared in the white smoke but I can see outlines near 3:30 now.

Agreed, Hank: the entire west coast from CA north is on fire this summer. Apparently, Alaska is very wet.
              Brian T

Comment

Hurricane was just upgraded to a CAT. 5 hurricane. The whole islands are starting to shut down, zero of the news is good. All of the islands are or will be impacted in some way in the new tracking. Honolulu is predicted in an forward impact from a cat 2 or 1 hurricane.....not good news for the airports and shipyards, the stores are sold out of most goods as everyone is to have two weeks of food to prepare. And Kauai looks like she may bet a full on slam of the eye? We will see how all this plays out. 20 to 40 inch of rain prediction and major waves will be hitting the south shores. Since this hurricane is super unpredictable everyone is preparing for the worst and praying for it go away instead. Big Island will be hit first along the Kona side as it is a strong Cat 4.?? tomorrow night?. No evacuations on the islands, but oceanfront to shelters as the word is a shelter in place, meaning your home. I used to work for hospital safety with special training for disasters in my younger days..... I know what they are and what they look like, needless to say, I am ready. Moving everything in the shop to higher shelves. Oahu if impacted will be on Friday sometime unless this hurricane speeds up.... so here I sit with my chocolate cheesecake hurricane food. If my side of the island gets hits....electric will be out at least three weeks so it may be a while before I get on the computer.
                Last edited by Dileon; 08-22-2018, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Be strong, easy to say hard to do
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Dileon it's sounding like the Pacific version of the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico! All you can do is prepare the best you can and ride it out. Good Luck my Frien'?.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dileon;n1139993]Hurricane was just upgraded to a CAT. 5 hurricane.

Know the feeling Di. We have been though a few of them. 10 sense 1969. 1 cat 5 and 5 were cat 3 storms. If there is a upside it is that these days you know thier coming and can get ready as you can. Just looked at the maps hopefully it will stay far enough south to minimize the effect on you. But you never know what they will do. “Ivan” was coming in to Mobile a cat 5 just before coming ashore it dropped to a 3 did almost a 90 degree turn to the right and the eye went in at Gulf Shores and in to the Florida panhandle. Mobile still had a lot of flooding and damage but not as bad as it could have been. Most important thing is you stay safe.
                      Last edited by Randy; 08-22-2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I'm shaking my old head. My D1 insists on having a "destination wedding" on Maui, Aug 28. Whether there is anything left of the place or not.
                        Plus, I can't walk well enough to make the trip. Gonna be in a funk for a week.
                        Brian T

Comment

Di, what side of the island are you on? Like Randy, I've gone through many major hurricanes, starting with my first in 1947 (a bad one, and we lived on the beach of the Mississippi Gulf Coast), before they began naming them.

You know the drill, prepare for the worst and hope for the best, stock up on food and water, and know that the electricity will be out for a long time. Best of luck to you.
                          Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                            Di, what side of the island are you on? Like Randy, I've gone through many major hurricanes, starting with my first in 1947 (a bad one, and we lived on the beach of the Mississippi Gulf Coast), before they began naming them.

You know the drill, prepare for the worst and hope for the best, stock up on food and water, and know that the electricity will be out for a long time. Best of luck to you.
                            I

I am in Oahu. on the East ocean side, ...right now .... we expecting a direct hit as a lot tracking said so if she hits Honolulu and goes over the mountains not good news as wind picks up speed racing down steep mountains. But she is supposed to curve west before arrival to Oahu if that happens we wont have direct impact. The hurricane may downgrade to a Cat 2 by then. But we are getting ready for a bad hit.... She just down graded from a five to a four. I was on Oahu when Iniki hit, although not a direct hit. The worst issue is this one is a rain-wrapped hurricane so more or less preparing for that. Shelters are only open for ocean evacuation people....all the rest of us hunker down in your house. Ha, ha we do not have the shelters.

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                              I'm shaking my old head. My D1 insists on having a "destination wedding" on Maui, Aug 28. Whether there is anything left of the place or not.
                              Plus, I can't walk well enough to make the trip. Gonna be in a funk for a week.
                              Maui has about four trackings that says she will get direct impact.... you have be nuts to come here...if this thing hits. You will be camping in a tent with no food and no water.
                              And tell her ...hurricanes here the rats are massive so you will need a gun for what food you do have. I am not joking....you should of heard the rat horror stories when Iniki hit us. I friend told me that the gun helped also with our massive cockroach issue ...you can shoot the ground the roaches... run! Also, it is well known the electric will down for weeks if not months...we are not the mainland. All repairs and parts have to be flown in ...or shipped so the thing is major delayed.
                              Last edited by Dileon; 08-22-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks, DiLeon: D1 is a 40-something now. Might be a waste of spit to try to tell her much.
                                Brian T

Comment

Working...
                                X