No announcement yet.

Your Weather Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke in the trees across the street. Clouds as well to be so gloomy. IFR for aircraft here means "I Follow Road."
    Just 7C and no wind. We are marinating in it. Yesterday it smelled like somebody frying bacon.

Worst air on earth. 946 nanograms per cubic meter of air. The chart used to go to 500.
    Next worst place is some industrial city in China = 400 ng.

I hope the forecast is right = we are in for a week of cold drippy rainy weather.
    Brian T

Comment

Just woke up...islands are in full gear. The darn NOAA radio kept going off every hour with new emergency issues, I finally turned it off so I can sleep. Hurricane will not hit us until Friday on Oahu. FEMA is here.....setting up, that is new one. We are not bracing for this storm we are running around like chickens preparing. Big island got 14 inches of rain yesterday...and that was just bunch of rain bands and not the hurricane. We are looking at tons of rain coming. Right now the new track says the hurricane will turn farther west before our island so that is major good news ...so far this hurricane is not following the tracking. It has cooled down making it easier to work...my whole shop needs to go up higher in case she floods again.

Comment

Odd - one of my younger brothers have gone quite - lived on the wind side ( Kona area) where he and his wife retired. A son moved near by working over the net on his software job. I think they are in Mass now - looking at Grand babies and anything else. I tried to get to him on Liken but no go yet. He used to run a fish company near Waihee-Waiehu. Boy has the names changed :-)
        Hope all goes well out there, lots of friends on the Big Island and a few local but most of them have passed. Tough when the body gets old. Friends depart.

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post
          Odd - one of my younger brothers have gone quite - lived on the wind side ( Kona area) where he and his wife retired. A son moved near by working over the net on his software job. I think they are in Mass now - looking at Grand babies and anything else. I tried to get to him on Liken but no go yet. He used to run a fish company near Waihee-Waiehu. Boy has the names changed :-)
          Hope all goes well out there, lots of friends on the Big Island and a few local but most of them have passed. Tough when the body gets old. Friends depart.
          Sorry, for the delay response...... they are having major power lost there and cell towers are down. They did not get hit by the hurricane but the rainstorms are nuts.....outer rain bands are slamming that island. . Not only that some areas are major flooding ....I can not get the whole news until daylight but they have had 34 inches or more in one day....I heard that perhaps over 40 inches have happened. . That is in one day...it looked bad yesterday but today I am sure it is total nightmare over there. I know people need to be rescued in some parts and they can not get to them until daylight. There are parts of the big island that are ok. I will try to find out later what parts are a total mess as I am in connection with some people over there. It is hard getting news right now. . This is a video yesterday at 20 inches
          Last edited by Dileon; 08-24-2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I am sitting here with the coffee...the island has basically shut down and everyone is home since yesterday ....weiry quiet now....no chickens screaming, no frogs and the weather is weird quiet. It is still dark here as the sun will come up in a hour. I have to get ready looks like she is coming....big sucker yea? I will be reporting later as my last minute preparedness is finished and breaks. Lots of major worries for the people in the big island right now, but no pictures until day time. I understand the band is starting to bring winds into Honolulu ....I am on the other side os nothing but little rain showers off and on. You can see three islands in white outline....ours is north of the eye.
            . 40077707_1816968005039736_2411958285159628800_o.jpg

Comment

My kids made it to Maui. Some incoming guest flights cancelled today.
              They said it was quite calm, just a breeze (but I bet that is going to change!)
              I say no more, kids know everything these days. Plus, they are on the ground there.
              Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                My kids made it to Maui. Some incoming guest flights cancelled today.
                They said it was quite calm, just a breeze (but I bet that is going to change!)
                I say no more, kids know everything these days. Plus, they are on the ground there.
                Good they are on the ground.....the weather is just starting to pick up as the hurricane right not moving...... is 2 miles an hour....not good which means more rain for all of us. Maui is dealing with a big brush fire right now and they are praying for the rain to hit soon. This is current weather from our top weather men......
                Extreme rains are expected to continue into the weekend for all the islands.....

Although Lane is moving north, the Euro model indicates it will soon make a hard turn towards the west. On the other hand the HWRF and GFS take the storm towards the north. The NAM model moves the storm very little, then takes it west tomorrow night. This is more model uncertainty that is normal, and that's the take away this morning... uncertainty in Lane's path . We do not know which path it will take.

Last edited by Dileon; 08-24-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

The kids do have a fall-back indoor venue if needed.
                  Mainland weather services always upscrew when they try over and over to re-write the words, don't they?
                  Thank you for some solid news.

We finally got a shower in the night. I'll bet it was snow above 5,000'.

Not enough to wet the sidewalk and not a drip out of the spruce trees.
                  Bright white smoke & breeze, 5C/40F and my central heating kicked on.
                  Pretty stinky. Even carving red cedar indoors can't mask the smell.
                  Brian T

Comment

Wow, RV, 40 degrees in August! We just had a "cool front" pass through, dropped the temp to the low 90s and kicked the humidity down a bit too. Tired of mowing lawn, looking forward to October.
                    Arthur

Comment

When I was in High school, (over 50 years ago I might add) I lived on the atoll of Kwajalein. 2500 NMi South West of Hawaii. We had a See-Saw that was 20' long and had a bucket and weight. It was designed to 'trip' when we got 20" / Hour !!! that is beyond White-out where water smashes water to pulverize the drops to micro drops and tons of water. Wave fronts would come at us and with the distant buoy would signal the weather department and they would scram the island to take shelter - e.g. leave school or work and shelter - and the Missile shot would take place to see if the 'wings' on the missile could stand the extreme weather. It did. We could not see our hand 2" in front of our faces and the sting of water was sharp. Martin

Comment

Yeah, it's cold nights here. Maybe got to 70F this afternoon. Likely 40F again tonight.
                        But, that's late August at 53N in the mountains. I've seen it snow up top as early as August 04.

My grapes are coloring up, maybe 10% of the leaves have faded.
                        Fruit berry bush leaves are going yellow and falling.

Summer is gone. Winter is tuning up.
                        Can't hardly see much in the smoke and stinky rain now.
                        Brian T

Comment

It's hard to imagine the magnitude of those B.C. fires, but the smoke from them has finally reached the east coast ( over 6,000 klm). Last night the sunset was an eerie reddish colour and the full moon looked like a giant orange in the sky. I guess it really is a " small world "....
                          If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post
                            It's hard to imagine the magnitude of those B.C. fires, but the smoke from them has finally reached the east coast ( over 6,000 klm). Last night the sunset was an eerie reddish colour and the full moon looked like a giant orange in the sky. I guess it really is a " small world "....
                            Soggy, we've had the smoky haze effect in Louisiana, too. It apparently has hit the whole continent...and you're right, it does produce some gorgeous sunsets. This smoke has followed on the heels of dust from the Sahara...makes for some poor air quality days. Sort of brings home the fact that whatever happens anywhere on our Mother Earth affects us all, that we can't just be concerned with our own backyards despite what agendas isolationists push.
                            Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post
                              When I was in High school, (over 50 years ago I might add) I lived on the atoll of Kwajalein. 2500 NMi South West of Hawaii. We had a See-Saw that was 20' long and had a bucket and weight. It was designed to 'trip' when we got 20" / Hour !!! that is beyond White-out where water smashes water to pulverize the drops to micro drops and tons of water. Wave fronts would come at us and with the distant buoy would signal the weather department and they would scram the island to take shelter - e.g. leave school or work and shelter - and the Missile shot would take place to see if the 'wings' on the missile could stand the extreme weather. It did. We could not see our hand 2" in front of our faces and the sting of water was sharp. Martin
                              I tell people you have never seen real rain until you lived in Hawaii and been in one of our storms. Getting reports some areas got 61 inches...big island is really getting slam .....good thing the islands are mountains and drainage is fast. Oahu we are just getting normal rain ...rain all weekend so hopeful it will be managable. Will be moving everything back outside....until two weeks from now....weather boy says we might have another one hitting us. Hurricane train again this year....two down and gone. I am hurricane exhausted....alarms, bells and whistles.

Comment

I'm excited to report that there's a drizzle of a rain, over much of the fire burnt part of British Columbia.
                                Still the same white wall of smoke. Smells like last night's wet campfire.
                                BUT, it's raining. Not enough to put out any fires until winter, if then.
                                It makes the forest damp and soggy and that, at least, slows the fires down.

Dileon, I can't imagine that amount of rain. I've experienced what turned out to be 2" per hour in Brisbane and to me, that was impressive.
                                Brian T

Comment

Working...
                                X