No announcement yet.

Your Weather Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am reminded of "... It rained and it rained. 'tweren't no ordnary rain -- it was a frog-strangler." Andy Griffith, way back when.

Air is breathable today here in NW Oregon.
    HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Satellite imagery shows that our fire smoke has made it to England.
      They ought to be in for some wild sunsets over the next few months.
      Just a nice gift from the colony.

Canada is the second largest country on earth. Each of most of our provinces is a big place.
      All of Japan plus all of the United Kingdom is still a little smaller than the province of British Columbia where I live.
      Brian T

Comment

Just a lot of grass to mow and trees to carve. :-) We have more sand and limestone than most places. Limestone is over 400' deep. Lots of cement awaiting.

Comment

Steady fire-suppressing drizzle rain all night. Enough to start dripping out of my big spruce trees ( red-neck rain gauge).
          I think that everybody got their hay baled and stored. A week of this is great insurance right now.
          Brian T

Comment

Moving tons of lawn art back out into the yard.....got way too much. Darn cement statues are heavy...not to worry about them blowing but damage if a tree would hit them. We have gloomy rain day....the whole thing pretty well missed Oahu but three more days of hard rains...so who knows. Big Island and Maui are still dancing in the rain......Big Island will major go over Hurricane Harvey's rainfall as recorded local rainfall is a lot higher then what is on the news right now.....every three hours the radio is blasting flash flooding there. Good thing we are mountains and drain fast....would have been a major disaster. Still, they have big damage in some areas.... Glad it did not hit Oahu, I was major worried about all my fruit trees, they are a major source of food for me. I am so wanting to get in the shop and start carving.....should have the stuff out there today and start carving tomorrow. We have bets going online....many weather people are on it.....Big island weather rainfall when this all finished ....around 70 to 100 inches...we will see? Winner gets homemade island pickles .....smile. Hope I win those pickles are to kill for!!!
            Last edited by Dileon; 08-26-2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

70+ inches? That's nearly 6 feet of water. So much got burnt over last summer than big rain here (several inches) means mudslides of water, charcoal, logs and rocks and mud.
              Saw a note posted from one ranch = "The chickens made it on top of the house. The coop is smashed and gone in the mud someplace."
              Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                70+ inches? That's nearly 6 feet of water. So much got burnt over last summer than big rain here (several inches) means mudslides of water, charcoal, logs and rocks and mud.
                Saw a note posted from one ranch = "The chickens made it on top of the house. The coop is smashed and gone in the mud someplace."
                Here is it the chickens, rats and fire ants ....

Comment

Some of last summer's fires ran so fast that no rat could possibly out run them, even if they knew where to go.
                  That's right. Ants float. How charming.

I saw video of the mudslide that put those chickens on the roof. Maybe 3' deep rocks and logs in black gravy.

On my friend's place, a tongue of fire came up a gulley so hot and so fast that it melted the glass windows in the chicken coop
                  and was gone before the logs could catch on fire!

It is rotten cold and breezy, the rain hasn't let up. We are all very happy.
                  Brian T

Comment

We used to get Banana express rains from Hawaii when we lived in the mountains inland from Santa Cruz. We had land with just over 100 Redwoods. I kept rain records for the 17 years there and one year we were over 100" for the year. The ground was like jelly. So much protein and mulch from the big weeds it was like Jelly. So bad I made large diameter rounds from cross cut logs on my lower property to make walking steps and use the wheel barrel to get to the large wood crib to bring to the house porch. Glad I was younger back then. The idea was to stay out of the mud as much as possible to keep it level or flat and then it would freeze into hard complex ground. Lots of chemicals to prevent other plants to grow. Getting back to rain, we normally got high 80's to low 90s every year until the drought years when we got in the 50's to 60's. several down to the 30's. That low it was fire problems. My lower road (two roads on my property) was reserved for Cal-Fire trucks - those larger than a trash truck crew cabs above tanker. They would camp out down there on fire watch. The road was just off the highway and out of moving cars in the community.

Comment

If you are ever in a flood and see a floating brown mass .....do not ever touch it .....it is fire ants. .They clump together during floods In minutes the clump will flatten and spread into a circular pancake that can float for weeks without drowning the ants. until they reach dry land. They float on top of the water. One fire ant sting is worst than a wasp.....so you can just think what it be like to have a whole bunch of them on you.

4508222237001_5561882885001_5561881390001-vs.jpg
                      Last edited by Dileon; 08-26-2018, 07:24 PM.

Comment

My son-in-law is a catastrophe adjuster for a major insurance company, currently working claims in the California wildfire areas. He showed me a picture he took of a car caught in the fire...it melted the engine block! Unbelievable how much heat these fires create.
                        Arthur

Comment

I was right. The clouds and smoke have lifted and we got SNOW above maybe 6,500' and up
                          on all the peaks on the west side of the valley. Lots of snow.
                          Brian T

Comment

The fire crews have to pull back when the radiant heat cooks everything. Blistered paint on the machines.
                            Sometimes, crews have escaped by hiding behind the blade and running the big Cat D8 or D9 in reverse from the fire.

Water boils and evaporates before it hits the flames. That's why the red Phos-Chek is so good = like mineral gravy.

I have no trouble believing that car engines get melted.
                            Brian T

Comment

So many car engines are Aluminum Phosphor alloy that it doesn't take as much as it did in the old days. Iron melts much hotter. I used to cut up engine blocks to melt out the quality grade Al for my furnace. Got mine to hot once and the Phosphor took off - white hot. Burnt through a Stainless steel vessel. Poured out the torch inlet and out on the cement. The pot was still burning hot when I put in into the ground in a hole I dug - to burn out there. What a mess.

Comment

Still having flash floods from Hurricane Lane.....today. Kauai is flooding again with as much as 4 inches an hour. Tomorrow this is reported to all finally stop....and then we are told another hurricane will be coming? The weather is hot and slimmy....and pouring rain. Life in paradise? Ha! volcanos, mudslides, floods, hurricanes, earth quakes and fires...what a year!

Comment

Working...
                                X