No announcement yet.

Your Weather Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck. Sounds like "UP in Smoke" to me. Glad I don't have a 500 gallon US diesel oil on the place and someone drains it. Happens to Ranchers that have more than one active ranches. Martin

Comment

• Yeah, it's gone. Then another $700 for half a tank to stay warm. Then $125 for a locking cap assembly.
      Brian T

Comment

• Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
        Cold 4C but I'm not freezing yet. Furnace oil fuel theft of near 250 imperial gallons = 1,150 liters.
        Theft loss = $1,440.00 or more. I'll be using 5 pounds of sugar if I find them.
        Brian, is your fuel tank remote from your house? I'm trying to understand how a thief can draw out that much oil undetected...I've never had an oil fired furnace, they are completely unknown in deep South U.S., so I'm ignorant of the workings of such.

I read your temperature statements with awe...we're still in mid 90s F with lows in mod 70s at night...had a son in New Hampshiire for a few years, he tired of fighting the snow and came back to Louisiana (much to my delight), so the brief experience I had during visits of that type of weather is still a novelty.
        Arthur

Comment

• Maybe 2C 36F this morning, rained in the night again, lots more new snow up top.

The oil tank (marked diesel is what it really is) is about a foot away from the house wall.
          Would not have been very hard to open the tank cap and pump it out to a truck tank just on the outside of the fence at that point.

The neighbors drive noisy trucks when they're home.
          The highways maintenance yard is full of machinery grunting 24/7.
          And my hearing is bad.

The police say that I'm not the first. I hope the locking cap slows them down.
          Brian T

Comment

• Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
            M

The police say that I'm not the first. I hope the locking cap slows them down.
            Nothing makes you feel worst then someone taking your things.... over the last five years we went to somewhat safe to major security.....that means fences with big dogs..., driveway gates, security cameras ...locks and more locks. It is very costly to have to protect your stuff....but they say the harder it is for them to break in ....they will go somewhere it is easy. For us it is over crowding and bringing in bad people to the islands....everytime something happens everyone adds on more security. I have bushes with major stickers even....growing next to the fence....since it is illegal to use razor wire....so you grow it.

Comment

• Isolation.JPG I love Whooping Hollow because of its wildlife and serenity ~ but the isolation is wonderful, in light of today's world. The Cove (Hollow in Ozark talk) is formed by wooded cliffs with tops too rugged for development. There are only two entrances ~ one leading to our residences ~ the other is over a mile across the ravine and leads into our pastures.

A guy hired to bush hog the pastures once told me, "I envy you living in this location."

I answered, "But you live in an even more rural area".

"Yes" he admitted. "But, I live on a spur road that empties onto a major highway on both ends. Your road ends in your front yard. There are only 4 houses in the mile between you and the highway. I'll bet your neighbors can even describe every car going in and out. I'll bet you have never had a problem with trespassers."

"I realized the veracity of his observation."

Comment

• Paul, you are indeed fortunate to live there. Your home is like the areas I like to go on vacation!
                Arthur

Comment

• I would never want to leave, Love the trees and hillsides.
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

• Winter is tuning up. My house in the village on the right, is behind the foreground trees.

Karen Pic.jpg
                    Brian T

Comment

• Driving around in it, up top.

100_1157.JPG
                      Brian T

Comment

• Another great homestead
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

• The end of November. A measured 40" off my doorstep. Theoretically, there is a street beyond my spruce and my 3/4T GMC Suburban is parked out there.
                          I had to cut to the left to the neighbor's driveway and shuffle down a ways to have a look.
                          All of a sudden, I needed more waffles and coffee.

Snow2014B.JPG
                          Brian T

Comment

• RV, you live in a beautiful area...I would love to live amongst such gorgeous scenery, but doubt I would adapt to your weather!
                            Arthur

Comment

• It's the product of a lifetime, Arthur. I lived in Melbourne, Australia for 4 years at La Trobe university.
                              Us Canucks always made several pilgrimages "up to the snow" every winter.
                              Can't seem to do without it. Spin the car in the empty, snow covered parking lots,
                              throw a few snowballs, eat a little white snow. Go home and have a slurp.

Oddly, everybody from my old house in Melb now lives somewhere in BC.
                              Many retired (gigantic house) and a few fools are still working.

In fact, other than organized university field trips, my only camping was in winter, in the snow.
                              Because I trusted their experience, I always went out with a German and an Italian from the north.
                              Brian T

Comment

• Wow snow!!!!...here I am sweating like a pig in the workshop....and your freezing. Beautiful sunny day but in a few days perhaps major rain from ex-cyclone Paul.

Comment

Working...
                                X