Horrible Forest Fires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Forest Fires

Right now we in California are suffering from the horrible Forest Fires that have been burning
    all week from Northern California to Southern California. Smoke has prevailed all the way down to
    where I live in San Diego County. There is no doubt in my mind, the Fire Fighters that have been fighting
    the flames, days and nights that have destroyed Forests, property, homes, and lives, are some of the most courage's
    folks around, in spite of losses of their own homes!
    Oscar

Most of the western part of entire North America is on fire.
    I read that your CA fire is the biggest in State history. Sorry to read that.

Somebody said that British Columbia, from the Space Station, looks like an ash tray.
    We have only 450 - 500 wild fires today.

I can't see even half way across the valley ( a mile?)
    Brian T

Comment

Working hard is one thing, but to be in the danger that the firefighter has to face on top of the hard work∙∙∙∙They are a special bred
      . . .JoeB

Comment

This has been going on for some time. My home near Lake Isabella survived a massive fire two years ago. I made my home available to an elderly couple who lost their home. Last year's Thomas fire, here in Ventura County burned within a mile of our present home, and held the record for the largest fire in Calif. history until last week. Several close friends lost their homes - burned to the ground! In at least one instance firefighters stood idle at the base of a mountain while homes burned. Sometimes self survival has to take precedence.

Comment

The wild fires in steep terrain are all that much harder to control. Here, if there's no risk to people, the fire just runs.
          Very few people live above the valley floor.
          Helicopter buckets and fixed-wing water bombers (that must have a lake for pick-up) are about all that can be done.
          Can't go anywhere today without a preliminary swish with the windshield wipers to clear the ash fall.
          Brian T

Comment

And these massive fires aren't limited to North America, Portugal and Spain have also had horrific wildfires, brought about by drought and 113F temperatures. Terrible, and global warming will create conditions to exacerbate the situation.
            Arthur

Comment

Nice to see. 105 Fire Fighters just arrived in the city of Prince George from Mexico.
              The central interior of British Columbia is this summer's big burn.
              Brian T

Comment

The fires still burn and the future does not look good. I read an article the other day by a group of climate scientists. They say the current weather pattern has an almost 60% chance of remaining until 2022.

This makes 1988, the year Yellowstone burned, look like a minor burn. As a Park Ranger I fought fires and as a Park Superintendent I authorized controlled burns, I shut down access to a large portion of Arches National Park in 1988 due not to local fire danger but because fire danger was relatively high and all of my "Red Card" Rangers were in Yellowstone. Red Cards are issued after basic fire fighting training and are required to fight fires. What are Superintendent's doing today to protect their parks that are only in moderate danger?

The current fire picture is beyond what we could even imagine when I was in the Service. It makes me wonder about the wisdom of living in remote locations. The only thing the local Volunteer Fire Department could do in Whooping Hollow is to let it burn if it is structural and to call in the State Fire Fighters if it is more than a low level wild fire.

We are in a new era and are left little choice but to adapt.

Comment

Fire around the world by NASA. Fires in the last 24 hours and more. Great site.......I was shocked how some countries have major fires,...compare that to our fires... are very small.

.https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov....0,0.0;l:24hrs

Comment

The Berkeley Climate Center now says that British Columbia has the worst air quality in the world. Worse than Beijing city.
                    Out fire smoke has drifted 2,000 miles east. 566 wild fires as of this morning.
                    Brian T

Comment

Worse than I had thought

Comment

My wife and I have traveled north by car every Spring through summer,but not
                        this year,there hasn't hardly been any small or large forests, safe from these raging
                        fires! Many folks lives have been lost and injured. These Forest Fire Fighters are
                        some of the Bravest and kind folks one could have around. Yet so many people have
                        been refusing to leave their homes, despite of the danger of being burned! I have
                        lived in California most of my life and these forest fires are the worst ever! The
                        Smoke from these fires can be seen as far South from San Diego to the Mexican
                        Border!
                        Oscar

Comment

Working...
                        X