Yesterday was a good 'un

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday was a good 'un

Today it is hard to imagine life as it was in the early 1960s. Folk music was still a major genre on the radio ~ but the times they were a changin'. I left Louisiana to become a Peace Corps Volunteer in Malawi, Africa. I returned to find a changed world. Fried chicken, which was almost a luxury when I left ~ now came in a red and white bucket ~ music came via 8 track tapes ~ Detroit was moving into the realm of small cars ~ almost everyone had color TV!

For about 6 months I longed for the simple life I had lived in Africa. While at Malosa Secondary School, I purchased a battery operated record player. I asked my parents to send me 78rpm records and "miracle of miracles" they arrived safely. My favorite individual performer was Joan Baez. Many evenings I would spend an hour (no more batteries were too expensive and it was too far to town to use them up fast) listening to Baez and the Folk Singers of the day

Yesterday was a good one! As I was preparing supper of boiled taters, corn on the cob, and jumbo shrimp ~ UPS arrived. We do a lot of online ordering and I couldn't remember what was being delivered.

The size of the package Diana accepted was a reminder. I quit preparing the seasoned boil and opened the delivered treasure. Yep, it was the latest CD "Whistle Down the Wind" by Joan Baez. The trip to the medical center in Springfield, today, will be a pleasant one as I "Whistle Down the Memories"!

Know exactly what you mean.
    Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Great memories, Paul. In 1960 I was four years into a career that would last forty years. I'm glad to still be around to experience the changes.

Comment

Joan Baez has been part of the soundtrack of my life as has folk music in general.
        Terry

Comment

"The Mamas and the Papas" from that era were a favorite of mine, too. Great music. A time of naivete, though the "flower children" thought they were the ultimate in worldly sophistication...truly, they were "just blowin' in the wind."
          Arthur

Comment

Paul......"Keep On Truckin'"

Comment

I spent three years on a small island - the part we could use was 500 yards wide and a half mile long. Army paper, Army news, Army music. I got back to the states and the world was on fire. Campus riots units like Underground and others were burning campus buildings, shooting people in the towns and breaking folks out of jail. Crazy world in the early 60's. We lived through it and Mom and Dad never knew what happened or how bad it got. Some years later a news cast showed some on TV and they started asking questions. Sects killing their 'flock'. I also went through culture shock.

Comment

"Culture Shock" was just being identified and defined in 1963. The Peace Corps spent a lot of our training preparing us for the culture shock of moving into a simpler society ~ of isolation where an airmail letter took about a month to arrive ~ where daily activities were so routine that time seemed endless. We were so well prepared that we slipped easily into our assignments.

The Peace Corps failed to realize that the isolation from a changing world led to the greater culture shock being when we attempted to return to a society that no longer existed.

Comment

Working...
                X