Trying to help my inaccuracies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to help my inaccuracies

My drawing skills are limited at best. I rely upon other images for my project, and there are times I would like to do something of my oven.

I made a block pattern, to use under another piece of tracing paper to use as a guide to try some attempts at producing something I would try and carve. This block pattern is fashion after a lot on what can be found on the internet, concern head shapes. I added some lighter line to represent the skull. I figure maybe with a somewhat perfect shape, I would be able to exaggerate farcical features to see shat I could come up with.

I've included a JPG of what I've done, the head is 2-1/2" at the wide. It saved on an 8-1/2 x 11 piece of paper

As always C&C welcome
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    . . .JoeB

Your proportions are very good, should be a helpful drawing. And great idea!

Comment

Make several copies and keep them in an office file folder.
      I guess since it's digital you can scale that up in size as well?

I'm an analog sort of guy with a pencil, tracing copies on a glass window and changing sizes with a pantograph.
      Brian T

Comment

Sappy~ haven't tried them out yet, but hope so, got one more carving to do before I try it out
        Brian~Yes it is on the computer, and I've made copies for additional 3", 3-1/2", & 4" sizes, used the printer to do that., Never used a pantograph, always wanted to try one out
        . . .JoeB

Comment

There are many easy great image programs out there, but I use the more "complicated" ones, like Photoshop, Gimp, etc. I do all the work on a computer and if it is too large for the printer, I put it on a thumb drive and take it to a local graphics place. They will print it out for a few dollars.

I find I can get more/better detail with a computer than I can "freehand." Not to mention my drawing skills are limited.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

Comment

woodburner807~Yess, I have most of them to Plus I use AutoCAD 8, but I just want to set down with a pencil and see what I can come up with.
            I notice this morning the box I had drawn in for the mouth, should extend to appx. the center of the eyes oops

. . .JoeB

Comment

Another suggestion is ......I stop using my own drawings.... instead I measure and measure photos using an omnigrip type rules that are transparent, then I go to the piece I am working on use the same guide .... this way I can see a full block placement for the whole face and the location better plus measurement in all directions. 274844-3-1.jpg
              . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Yes Di, I have one of those too.
                . . .JoeB

Comment

mentioned was about the graphics place printing it out, i just learned that printed like that with toner, not inkjet, that pattern then can be ironed on to the wood, i had picked up the small flat round iron for that purpose, and it worked out great.. not exactly following the topic on hand here, but the printer mention ,made me think of it.
                  Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                    woodburner807~Yess, I have most of them to Plus I use AutoCAD 8, but I just want to set down with a pencil and see what I can come up with.
                    I notice this morning the box I had drawn in for the mouth, should extend to appx. the center of the eyes oops

Joe..... Somewhere out in hyper space (and I believe I've saved it although I can't find it on my computer) there is a similar pictorial on drawing faces. Given that, the easiest way to remember something is to write it down so your method is proven is a proven learning tool. As for AutoCad 8, what version of Microsoft are you using on your computer? Have you had any compatibility issues? I've got AutoCad 2005 on my computer and am running it with Microsoft 7. It has a slight compatibility issue when it first loads but this Version of Microsoft allows an over-ride. I really need a new computer and printer but I'm hanging on as long as I can due to my older Programs like AutoCad 2005 and Microsoft office Suite 2003.

Comment

I'm running Microsoft 7 as well, yes there are problems, can't get any of my shortcut to work anymore. I found another program that I've fool around with a little bit you might want to check it out, let me know what you think if you do so
                      CAD Software | DRAFTSIGHT™ - Dassault Systèmes®

https://www.3ds.com/products-service...-cad-software/
                      DraftSight has a familiar user interface and a minimal learning curve that facilitates an easy transition from your current CAD application. Learn more about ...
                      CAD Software | DRAFTSIGHT™ - Dassault Systèmes®

Discover DraftSight®: professional-grade CAD software that lets you create, edit, view and markup any kind of 2D and 3D DWG file with greater ease, speed, and efficiency.
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

My biggest problem is getting the right/left symmetry of a carving done properly.
                        I do my best to keep a pencil centerline and some index points on the wood for as long as possible.

Analog scaling up and down: The Lee Valley pantograph gives you as much as a 10:1 up or down.
                        You need a lot of empty table space to make it work.
                        The arms are very light-weight wood so the whole thing tends to skitter around a lot.

I stripped off all the hardware and replaced and cloned the arms with 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum from Home Depot.
                        Now I have a "real" pantograph which works very well with the added weight.
                        Brian T

Comment

Working...
                        X