Taking a forced hiatus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a forced hiatus

Happy New Year to my Frien's here on Woodcarving Illustrated.

I will be taking a hiatus and will not be back on the list until March. I have been having an eye problem for the past couple of years and it has limited my participation.

My eyesight got much worse making it almost impossible to focus on the computer screen. Long story short ~ yesterday I met with the eye surgeon and was told that I have a hole in the Maculus. It is not related to my on-going problem. But hole is at the point where fine focus is located. He says that surgery is the answer. He will cut away the scar tissue around the hole, close it and then introduce an air bubble that will apply pressure on the area and assist in healing. He says there is a 75% chance of regaining 80% of sight in that area. I have bet on far worse odds playing Bourré. A crazy Cajun card game with strict rules and a very good chance of a player having to match the pot in the next round. Nickel ante can lead to big dollars real fast!

Anyway, a major post-surgery downside is that for two days after ~ I will have to sit bent forward with my head parallel to the floor. For 45 minutes of every hour! My response was, "Holy C..p!"

He answered, "I know you are a woodcarver. The good news is that as long as you stay in that position ~ you can carve all you want."

A few weeks ago I started a tutorial for my cousin ~ a beginning woodcarver who want to carve Comfort Birds. It is about half complete and I will concentrate on this while I am in an upright fetal position. I am taking photos as I carve with an explanation of what I am doing. It will be in MS Word and anyone who would like a copy can have it.

The surgery is scheduled for February 4th and the results will not be known for a month. If this first attempt is unsuccessful ~ he will do a second surgery and introduce an oil bubble instead of the air bubble. The downside of this is that another surgery will be necessary in a month to remove the oil.

So, hopefully, I will be back among WCI carvers in March, an if not sometime next summer.

Hang in there, brother! It sounds like the recovery is gonna be rough for a couple days, but this too shall pass! Maybe Diana can put one of those ratchet straps around you to keep you folded over? Will be thinking of yall in my prayers.
    'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
    http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Looks like you got to get your system set up to carve, the rest of your life in order before surgery. Not an adjustment we like.....especially when it comes to health issues. See you when you get back. Wishing you best in all directions....stay strong is the only way to do it......

Comment

good luck..
        Herb

Comment

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, mon ami. You are in my prayers, and we all look forward to your return in March. We will miss you until then.

Upside to your required position every hour: You can carve, but you could also play your bourre' hand, so at least you have an option!
          Arthur

Comment

Paul we will be praying for a full and speedy recovery.
            Mark N. Akers
            My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

It is a good thing that you are a tough old bird . Tough or not This is going to be a trying for you and yours, can only hope for the very best. Maybe Diana can give a post as to how you're doing. I know we'll all be interested.
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Paul, are Prayers will be with you for a Speedy and Successful Recovery. Merle

Comment

You have a tough row to hoe. I wish we could help. But tough old birds make short work of tough rows, so we will be waiting for you with open arms at the other end.
                  HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Best of luck to you Paul! Personally I would love to have your tutorial when it's done. Looking forward to your speedy recovery and a look at your work.

Comment

Paul, O'l Buddy, hang in there. It sounds like the surgery will do the trick and get you back to normal (what ever that is). Take care of yourself, we'll be here when you are up and around again and carving up a storm.

Bob
                      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Hang in there Paul - My Dad had his retina sewed back on and it was a tough go for a while. He was a heavy reader. The type of stuff that I could read but Sister or Mother had no idea how to say or read some of it. Advanced Math and Physics. We pushed each other on the two topics for years. Now I have most of his study books. Wish I had some of my letters to him. Such is life.

Comment

Paul, with all the positive thoughts, prayers from the forum coupled with your toughness; you'll be back as good as ever!

Comment

Paul wishing you the best. My youngest son had a retina detach a number of years ago and they did surgery required him to lay face down to keep the bubble pressing against the retina for 10 days. It worked and he regained the vision in his eye. They can do wonderful things with eye surgery now.

Comment

I just get back on the forum and your taking off - well I’m wishing you all the best mr and looking forward to talking to you soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X