No announcement yet.

Still alive...new chapter, a new year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still alive...new chapter, a new year.

• NYE_RoyalHawaiian.jpg “Here’s to a bright New Year and a super fond farewell to the old; the nuke bomb did not fry my rear end even though I did kiss it goodbye in Jan, The flood did not destroy my wood, the hurricane turn away last minute and left us shaken, and the five tumors found are all not cancer.....the volcano did not blow us out of the water and I say ok I am still alive that does matter. Perhaps time to breath? here’s to the things that are yet to come to pray that there are no repeats of this year!!!!!!, and to the memories that we hold.” I did get a dragon carved this year. Hope your year brings new carvings, new inspiration, ....for those of us who are ill that......we keep on trucking.... Have a peaceful new year..... Aloha DiLeon
    Last edited by DiLeon; 12-31-2018, 10:30 AM.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Happy New Year to you also. Yes 2019 is something to look forward to...like my husband says "it's better to look down at the flowers than up at the roots" Like you, I'm cancer free, so far, looking forward to new adventures. Going to Michigan seminar this May to learn more carving stuff. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!

Comment

Have heart Dileon.... You came a lot closer to buying the farm in the late 60's than during this recent exhibition of saber rattling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIFZ7b_s8uI

Comment

Di, you dodged a lot of bullets this year...here's hoping you will continue to be as nimble in 2019. I hope we all will be.
        Arthur

Comment

__aloha !__
          Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
            Have heart Dileon.... You came a lot closer to buying the farm in the late 60's than during this recent exhibition of saber rattling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIFZ7b_s8uI
            yea but in the 60s we never got a message on the tv and on our phones that the missiles were inbound to the islands like we did this year. It blasted the news on the whole islands, and everyone thought we were going to die. Until 40 minutes later it was reported a mistake. Today anyone knows what a nuke bomb can do, and when you are told it is heading straight toward your home and your families, children's, neighbors home.....you know you are going to die that going into your house and shutting the doors and windows will not save you. like the TV was telling us. That experience no one will ever forget on these islands.....the sheer experience of just how real that is, was a major deal.....fact it did not happen.....does not matter when you think any moment the nuke will fall out of the sky and you are a goner. . Because they kept telling us it was real and not a test. All I got to say it was one test I hope never ever to see again. In my mind nukes are a good way to blow everyone off the face of the earth.....and major sad it is a chest piece used major in the world. At least I did not get out my lawn chair and sit outside looking at the sky like my neighbors.....think that is just the wrong way to kiss life goodbye....but who knows? LOL
            Last edited by DiLeon; 12-31-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Hi Di ,You sre one Strong Lady Mentally and Physically . Hope the New Year brings you a Better Year and the Strength to do what you enjoy doing. Happy New Year Di. Looking forward in seeing the products of your Chip Making . Merle

Comment

Thanks, Dil -- and I send my best hopes for you to have a "not quite so interesting" 2019.
                HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Di, I wonder how many died from panic over the nuke thing, a heart attack in the making! Glad you skipped by the cancer. It was a sad year for me,losing my husband to cancer. 2019 has got to be better.

Comment

Originally posted by toycarver View Post
                    Di, I wonder how many died from panic over the nuke thing, a heart attack in the making! Glad you skipped by cancer. It was a sad year for meTha,losing my husband to cancer. 2019 has got to be better.
                    The panic was more emotional, no one died although we had reports of people going down the interstate 100 miles an hour to get home, ....people throwing their children into the sewer lines, no suicides, no people jumping off buildings....so this worry about causing public chaos panic did not happen. Phones were jammed with people calling love ones and saying goodbye. Most people just shut down, they could not wrap their brains around the fact that this was happening, that was me too....I had no idea what to do at all, I was calling people what do you do???.....basically was told bend over and kiss my behind goodbye because there is nothing we could do. I do know vets that got serious backlashes of PTSD from it but that was it. Did hear moms screaming for their kids and one lady down the street was total screaming but that was it. For me it was a shock to the brain, that I was mad at myself ....for never considering the possibility that this could happen, plus I was highly trained in disaster preparedness, this is one area we never covered. I know how to protect yourself from a biochemical virus but a nuke....never a possibility. Actually, after there are ways to survive....like Hiroshima about 2/3 of people survived,... question is do you want to?

Comment

Sounds like pure terror, panic or shut down I guess. What a terrible mistake setting off the alarm. Surprised an error like that could occor.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post

yea but in the 60s we never got a message on the tv and on our phones that the missiles were inbound to the islands like we did this year. It blasted the news on the whole islands, and everyone thought we were going to die. Until 40 minutes later it was reported a mistake. Today anyone knows what a nuke bomb can do, and when you are told it is heading straight toward your home and your families, children's, neighbors home.....you know you are going to die that going into your house and shutting the doors and windows will not save you. like the TV was telling us. That experience no one will ever forget on these islands.....the sheer experience of just how real that is, was a major deal.....fact it did not happen.....does not matter when you think any moment the nuke will fall out of the sky and you are a goner. . Because they kept telling us it was real and not a test. All I got to say it was one test I hope never ever to see again. In my mind nukes are a good way to blow everyone off the face of the earth.....and major sad it is a chest piece used major in the world. At least I did not get out my lawn chair and sit outside looking at the sky like my neighbors.....think that is just the wrong way to kiss life goodbye....but who knows? LOL
                        Dileon.... As we used to say aboard ship during the many ABC Warfare drills that were held, "You're best bet is to bend over, put your heads though your legs, and kiss your butt, "GOODBYE!"

Comment

As a physicist that worked in labs with high energy particles and nasty stuff - Tech Support for Department while in school - I learned to use cement and before the cement Paraffin - and more cement. Paraffin absorbs neutrons like a sponge. None get through. Cement is a general good isolation. One could go all out and line the paraffin layer with a sheet of lead, but that is taking risk to far. Paraffin should be contained as it can catch fire... candles and all that. We were developing a Neutron Gun. I was generating high energy X-Ray to 'blast' Crystals and look at the atomic arrangement of the minerals contained in the sample. We started with pure crystals to keep our sanity. We never trusted our protected Neutron shield, I vacated the area. The Dr. worked in the lab but he constantly tested with sensors for leaks. That lab is erased now - 50+ years since - And other labs are in use in new buildings. Myself - a good cement wall and earth is good enough. Cement is great - pseudo random mixture of various stone (sand) that deflects or absorbs. Scatter the junk and make it weak. But Hawaii is protected by multiple shields of detection and missiles to clear the sky. Alaska does also. And the various fleets and Planes provide shields for themselves and anyone around them. It might turn an explosive bomb into a dirty bomb and that needs some protection from but only radiation not explosion. And these are not the 'little ones' used for Scuds we see being shot in the Near East... Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

Dileon.... As we used to say aboard ship during the many ABC Warfare drills that were held, "You're best bet is to bend over, put your heads LOthough your legs, and kiss your butt, "GOODBYE!"
                            LOL yes.....but getting to the rear end is an issue with back issues in older age is an event itself.....kiss the fingers and wave these days....smile.

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post
                              Aut Hawaii is protected by multiple shields of detection and missiles to clear the sky. Alaska does also. And the various fleets and Planes provide shields for themselves and anyone around them. It might turn an explosive bomb into a dirty bomb and that needs some protection from but only radiation not an explosion. And these are not the 'little ones' used for Scuds we see being shot in the Near East... Martin
                              We have the four different military bases here and lots of high ranking officials live around me......, depends on who you talk to ...on their opinion as if can they shoot it out the sky? The answer I got was depended who and where it came from, if it came from Korea easy, if it was China or Russia bad, bad news......, others swear they can shoot the missiles, others say bend over and kiss your butt goodbye.. The fact the government has no plans for giving out false alarms on missile attacks....sort of makes one aware they do not have their ducks all in a row. smile. Dirty bomb.....well we do not pass a grade for a major hurricane, so like any major disaster ....the possible frying of all electronics would be a bad event and of course I have heard the argument on that one, but.we have enough food on these islands for three days before it runs dry, No plans is the issue.....not the bombs themselves..... There is a bomb site on the internet, where you can explode a bomb around your area and see what effect it will have on your home, It was interesting site. https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ ...
                              Last edited by DiLeon; 01-02-2019, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X