X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution Science Content

Came across this news article today:

Potato Peels Used to Make MDF-Like Panel

Gives a how new spin to the name Chip-board.

Wonder if it's good with onion dip?

MDF is short term product.....glue breaks down after time and the furniture, the cabinets start to fall apart, worst yet....it is not humidity proof..... so the furniture starts to melt, the cheap film of paper wood that they put on starts to fail. And often it is sold as solid wood. It is trash and a failure to make a cheap product lasting. So will they make a MDF with a potato peel of course, they will sell anything ......tell you it is a new miracle cheap, lasting made product that is not worth two cents. I bought solid made furniture about 30 years ago at solid wood Italy prices......it was a lie just MDF.....tons of tools, product are out there are not worth your time, your hard earned money....it is the age of rip-offs. and selling junk called how to steal peoples money.

Comment

MDF is a very good product in applications which are dry and/or very low humidity, like my place all winter (6 months).
      Dileon, it is so dry here in the winter that many people run cold water humidifiers. Unpleasant static sparks otherwise.

Potato peels/skins? Get 1/2 inch of oil going at 375 in a deep pot. Add handfuls of potato peels for just a couple of minutes.
      Take out, drain and add a shake of salt. Kid-tested and kid-approved.
      Brian T

Comment

I used MDF for a 10ft long three part window seat for my daughter about 15 yrs ago. The center piece was a toy chest used and abused by 3 grandkids. Only had to replace a hinge. It looks as nice now as it did new.
        Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
          MDF is a very good product in applications which are dry and/or very low humidity, like my place all winter (6 months).
          Dileon, it is so dry here in the winter that many people run cold water humidifiers. Unpleasant static sparks otherwise.
          I agree. I think Dileon lives in probably the most humid state in the US (although the states along the Gulf Coast are probably close). I wouldn't buy MDF furniture here in LA if it was going to be outside or exposed to outside air at all. Some of our furniture that we purchased here is likely MDF core, but the A/C, which runs 10 months out of the year, removes much of the humidity from the air. A/C-heater is in the attic, so when the A/C runs in summer, I can hear the condensate water running down it's drain pipe inside the wall - sounds like a faucet running...

Claude
          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post

Potato peels/skins? Get 1/2 inch of oil going at 375 in a deep pot. Add handfuls of potato peels for just a couple of minutes.
            Take out, drain and add a shake of salt. Kid-tested and kid-approved.
            What is this Kid Tested stuff ? Wouldn't get near my Kid - I'd have them gone already. He is picky. Besides at home the skins never came off, just got cleaned of dirt and grit then sliced or baked as needed. Heals on bread - using two at a time was a treat. Usually fought Dad for one. Family of 7, 5 kids. Oh - must be Grand Kid - they eat anything. Martin

Comment

Martin, in that day and time of black skies, peeling potatoes to keep the crude starch but lose the majority of the nutrients was ESSENTIAL.
              Eating potato skins was VERBOTEN. Not for very long. Over time, I fed the kids what really mattered.
              The science is in the nutrition and I am very well educated in that regard. I hope your doctors remember what I taught them.

We are all well. I would like to earn the salaries that my kids get these days. They have outpaced inflation 10X.
              Brian T

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with Claude and Brian; in low humidity situations (such as the scenarios they describe) MDF is a perfectly acceptable product, although I find that it sags over longer spans than wood will. As always, you need to use the proper product for the intended use.

As for the potato peel product, I'd have an open mind until more is known about the product. I do think Bif's question is on point, though...
                Arthur

Comment

Working...
                X