great white shark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great white shark

A great white shark was seen today......a rare sighting just offshore waters of what’s believed to be the biggest great white shark on record. They had video darn shark was bigger than this fishing boat.

The shark is believed to be “Deep Blue,” a shark that’s nearly 20 feet long. She’s also believed to be more than 50 years old.

In the past few years, Blue has become so famous that she even has her own Twitter account.

Deep Blue apparently had quite a meal a couple days ago, when she was spotted feeding on a sperm whale carcass that is about 20 miles off Oahu’s southern shore.

In the videos, the shark exhibited calm behavior as divers bravely swam alongside the shark, cage-free.

deepblue1-625x352.jpg

Comment

Sure something to see, but not close up. So who is going to do a wood carving of it???
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Use western red cedar. Not a whole lot of detail to cope with.
        Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post

In the videos, the shark exhibited calm behavior as divers bravely swam alongside the shark, cage-free.
          "Bravely" ?....... I can think of much better words to describe their action ...... shades of Steve Irwin...
          If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Great White Sharks are one reason I really, really like living in Kansas!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tbox61 View Post
              Great White Sharks are one reason I really, really like living in Kansas!!!!
              If I was on a boat and saw this ....I would have all my hair fall out. Those divers were research people who study whales and sharks, .....a dream come true for them. They were sure he would not eat them because he was feeding on a whale. I will think twice before letting my toes touch the water when in a boat..... in my younger years went out on a catamaran often on the ocean. Older now, one more reason to cause death.....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post

"Bravely" ?....... I can think of much better words to describe their action ...... shades of Steve Irwin...
                The things we do for the jobs we choose....some people have really insane jobs.

Comment

"Sounds like they need a bigger boat...."

Comment

LOL Eddy. Why do they call them 'Great'?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bif View Post
                      LOL Eddy. Why do they call them 'Great'?
                      This might have something to do with it........

According to the Guinness Book of Records, the two largest great white sharks ever found were 36' and 37' feet long. The 36' foot shark was captured off Port Fairy in South Australia in the 1870s, while the 37' sharkwas caught in New Brunswick, Canada, in the 1930s.Jul 8, 2015......
                      If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Imagine the totem pole = carve the log, dance the pole and you don't even need to stand it up.
                        37'????? That's my living room, the front stairs and down the hall!
                        Brian T

Comment

It wood take a Calif. Red Wood! The real JAWS.
                          Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Just saw about 5 min. of dive and an interview with the woman diver whose named happened to be Ocean. She was diving without any scuba gear and can stay under for 6 min. Amazing!
                            Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post

This might have something to do with it........

According to the Guinness Book of Records, the two largest great white sharks ever found were 36' and 37' feet long. The 36' foot shark was captured off Port Fairy in South Australia in the 1870s, while the 37' sharkwas caught in New Brunswick, Canada, in the 1930s.Jul 8, 2015......
                              There is a major argument against these reports, but who knows???? However these measurements were not obtained in a rigorous, scientifically valid manner, and researchers have questioned the reliability of these measurements for a long time, noting they were much larger than any other accurately reported sighting. Later studies proved these doubts to be well founded. This New Brunswick shark may have been a misidentified Basking shark, as the two have similar body shapes. The question of the Port Fairy shark was settled in the 1970s when J. E. Randall examined the shark's jaws and "found that the Port Fairy shark was of the order of 5.0 m (16.4 ft) in length and suggested that a mistake had been made in the original record, in 1870, of the shark's length".These wrong measurements would make the alleged shark more than five times heavier than it really was. And so goes the same old fish stories I caught a big fish when he is five times smaller?

Comment

Working...
                              X