No announcement yet.

great white shark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody told me that there's a good relationship between body length and tooth size in sharks. Is that so?

I'd buy a "#2 and better" local western red cedar log (and spend the rest of my life paying for it). Plenty big enough for any shark carving.
    My carving wood all comes out of logs less than 6' diameter, mostly about 3-4'.
    I've been standing in the main upstairs hallway of my house, looking back and forth. I can't imagine a fish that big.
    I believe it but stuffed into my house? No way. It wouldn't even fit in the hole where my balcony doors are.
    Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
      It wouldn't even fit in the hole where my balcony doors are.
      And I am thinking this is a GOOD thing!

Comment

Good thing the Shark wasn't crossed with a nasty Tiger - they kill for fun. They have been found full of food an still hunting something that attracted them. They are common to the South California coast.

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post
          Good thing the Shark wasn't crossed with a nasty Tiger - they kill for fun. They have been found full of food an still hunting something that attracted them. They are common to the South California coast.
          All shark attacks here are tiger sharks....they like to eat the surfers. They always say sharks think they are turtles or seals....... We have about ten tiger shark attacks a year.
          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I saw a video of the shark and the idiots that were free swimming and filming alongside it. One bite by that monster and the diver that looked an awful lot like a seal would have been history. If I was that shark and was being harassed by a couple of numskulls like that I'd have had myself a snack!

Comment

Check out "Shark-Watching Tours" in South Africa. They tow a seal dummy behind the boats.
              The Great Whites shoot out of the water like porpoises!
              Brian T

Comment

Everything is about 20" of white around here today. I hope the stuff stays where it is, but the wind will toss it around before the morning Such is life north of the Adirondacks.
                Carve On,
                Kadiddle

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                  Check out "Shark-Watching Tours" in South Africa. They tow a seal dummy behind the boats.
                  The Great Whites shoot out of the water like porpoises!
                  When I was young, I worked on the 40-foot tourist catamarans, Job was to keep the captain dry, man the sails, keep the tourist happy with booze and rescue idiots that got drunk and fell off the boat. The dolphins loved the boat and would race in front of the boat. People often thought we could call the dolphins with a whistle. and they were serious. One time I had this man who wanted to see sharks, and we told him we never saw any in the waters we traveled....but he insisted that we go see sharks!!! So finally I told him,
                  listen I will get out the tow line, we will make you bleed and we will put you on the tow line and when your getting towed yell when you see a shark and we will try to pull you in.
                  He shut up....and I was amused.....idiots on a boat are scary.
                  . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Here is a link to a Shark Attack Map. It shows annual shark attacks around the world.

Comment

This Great White was caught by fishermen off Cavendish, Prince Edward Island, my home province, back in 2003, it was a 22 footer. I grew up swimming in those waters and never saw a sign, and after watching the movie "Jaws" I seldom swam there again. I did see a Great White off California back in 1973 during my Navy days, and that one was as big as our ships boat and that was 23' long. Great topic, I do love sharks, just they scare the "bee Jesus" out of me.

Bob

ps: sorry, forgot the pics.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by squbrigg; 01-22-2019, 08:03 PM. Reason: Forgot the pics.
                      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Originally posted by squbrigg View Post
                        This Great White was caught by fishermen off Cavendish, Prince Edward Island, my home province, back in 2003, it was a 22 footer. I grew up swimming in those waters and never saw a sign, and after watching the movie "Jaws" I seldom swam there again. I did see a Great White off California back in 1973 during my Navy days, and that one was as big as our ships boat and that was 23' long. Great topic, I do love sharks, just they scare the "bee Jesus" out of me.

Bob

ps: sorry, forgot the pics.
                        Bob I can’t tell you how scared I am of sharks! When I was younger my family vacationed every summer in the Cape of Massachusetts and Nantucket area. My father took me to see JAWS as a young child and I have been traumatized ever cents. I think about sharks even when I’m swimming in the lakes and rivers of the mountains of New Hampshire. But I spend at least 30 to 40 days on the ocean in Maine and I have a hard time not be petrified chasing my wife on a Inflatable paddleboard acrossing the bay. It was scary enough knowing that there were black fin whales, dolphins, and tuna as well as a healthy number of seals bobbing around us eating fish.

Three years ago a friend of mine and I did a paddleboard excursion down the spirit river which is close to the mouth of the Kennebec river delta. We rode the river I out to SeaWall beach which is an amazing place that always has a pretty nice surf, it’s a very secluded place that you can only hike into or get you from the ocean. We were surfing together in 3 to 5 foot waves when my friend had to go in and fix his leash I was using a paddle and my friend was just conventionally surfing. I started to get relaxed and wasn’t paying attention to the waves sitting on my board by myself when I waved broke on me and ripped my leash off my ankle and separated me from my board. There was a consistent 10 to 15 miles offshore breeze that grabbed my very buoyant paddleboard. Every time that I almost reached it another wave hit me I didn’t want to let go of my paddle that I was hanging onto because I had a 2 mile track back upstream to get to where we parked the car. My friend had no clue what was happening until he couldn’t see me any more.I was in the water for at least 10 minutes maybe more and ended up a couple hundred yards down the beach. I stayed pretty cool until I realized I was in about over 10 to 12 feet of water and then my imagination started to get the better of me. I was in very good shape at the time and a fairly good swimmer, but you know what I was thinking about the whole time

Comment

Working...
                        X