A question from the Brainyyack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question from the Brainyyack

I was taking some pictures outside today, came inside and got some fluids on my jacket, so I thought I had better get that in the wash right away, (like all good husbands )

One problem, still had my digital camera in my top pocket. Wanting to make sure I got all the fluids/stains out I put the jacket through an extra long wash .

I've got the camera soak in rice now, my question for the wisher than me is any suggestion on how long I will need to leave it in the rice, or any other suggestions.

. . .JoeB

You did good. Now you can have rice every other day. I suppose it is digital. I'd have the battery & card out of it and charged. When the rice stops absorbing the water - e.g. no damp any more you can shake a can with dry bones and take a try with the battery. I would then if it seems dry by looking inside the best you can - keep it under a light bulb if you have a table lamp - e.g. bulb on 12" away and it keeps it warmer to expel more if needed. Pictures on card I suppose for use while unsoaking(new word) the camera.

Now lets say it happened to your best book - about the same way - afterwards - put into a trash bag - white here - that has Frabreese (spelling uck). A book that smells on the bookcase - put it in the bottom of an expanded bag with F. and roll it up. Put away for 2 weeks and the smell and mold / mildew is gone.

Good luck with the camera. dry electronics work, wet ones can cause funny errors and die. My fear is the lens is wet but is likely sealed and ok. Glue might be another issue somewhere.

Comment

You're getting close:
      "Brainiac" was a computer kit of programmable deck switches which was on the market back in about 1962.
      It may take that long to dry out your camera.

I'd try to warm it up, no more than body heat. Newsprint paper is a good drying agent, we used it inside rubber boots.
      Brian T

Comment

Thanks, guys, I had taken the batteries and card out & hand dried the,????.
        Dried the camera off as best as I could, tried drying the battery and card depts out with toilet paper.
        Then pack the camera in rice & some stuff out of those little bags that you get to keep prescriptions dry.

Just have not to get impatience and Let it dry .

Am I going to pick up a knife today, not on your life-----thanks for the info
        . . .JoeB

Comment

I'm surprised that we don't hear of more people laundering their smart phones! If we didn't have but one phone between both my wife and I, I'm sure that I'd leave my phone in the pockets of my cargo pants at least once a week!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
            I'm surprised that we don't hear of more people laundering their smart phones! If we didn't have but one phone between both my wife and I, I'm sure that I'd leave my phone in the pockets of my cargo pants at least once a week!
            Well, my wife has a smart phone, and I have a stupid (flip) phone, but I have never had a problem forgetting where my phone is. Simple solution is that I never remember to pick up my phone from the kitchen counter and take it with me, which drives my wife nuts!
            Arthur

Comment

Hey Joe , don't know anything about Phones but I think you could use a Hair Drier maybe on Low. Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                Hey Joe , don't know anything about Phones but I think you could use a Hair Drier maybe on Low. Merle
                Tech support recommend using a hair dryer on the phone as a major no, no..... honestly this would have been my first thing to do, .....looks like it would have ruined my phone.. Other fast methods are also no, no... Here is link of how everyone destroys a wet phone ....by USA today. Worth reading.....https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...rst/609145001/ This is how I destroyed my last phone by turning the darn thing on.
                Last edited by Dileon; 02-09-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Hey Joe , on Di's response don't do what I said . She makes more sense than I do. Merle

Comment

I hate to say it, but I think your camera is now suitable for mounting. You might salvage the memory card if lucky. All the tricks and tips I have seen are iffy to begin with (may work but may not), but they all assume your phone or camera or whatever just got a quick dunk or took a few rain drops. The heavy soil setting on a washing machine? Naaaaah.

Check out Amazon.

Comment

Ya, I don't even have my fingers crossed, got it soaking in rice, will leave for another couple of day, but I've already stared looking, ouch
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                      X