No announcement yet.

Painted mailboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Di , you made me think of my Mail Box Painting about 18 years ago . I bought a White Mail Box got out my Air Brush and Stencil and went to work . It lasted all this time . Hard to believe but I really did it.. Ha,Ha. OH!! No Animals either . Merle

Comment

As Usual forgot the Picture. IMG_0001.JPG

Comment

With those great targets, Where I grew up they would be full of bullet holes. The next time you're by Reno, you can stop in and paint anything you want on our mailbox.

"monkey pod table " OK type of wood?

. . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
          With those great targets, Where I grew up they would be full of bullet holes. The next time you're by Reno, you can stop in and paint anything you want on our mailbox.

"monkey pod table " OK type of wood?
          Where I grew up mailboxes were targets for beer bottle bombings from the car......

Monkeypod is great to carve, it is rot resistant plus bug resistant, and good hardwood. This is not my table....but it shows you the major grain patterns it has. Because monkeypod is known as tourist cheap carving wood, it got a bad name. It is almost impossible to sell furniture on the market because of its name. So even with the beautiful grain pattern, it is known to the public as a junk wood ...even though it is not. It is a wood that has to be carved wet, and then let it dry. Because it has such a bad name, people have been known to make up names for it ...in order to try to sell to the public.

il_794xN.1163154123_duto.jpg
          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Wow, incredible grain, Thanks for the post
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Amazing wood and I never heard of it and had to check the net. Beautiful furniture out there and I see it is also native to Costa Rica. Hope it isn't an endangered species down there and I do see some outlets selling it here, stateside. Not sure if from there or from your neck of the woods.

Thanks for posting that and I'm impressed.
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

Comment

0ac5288bbd378ce58ba4b180c5bfe8fa.jpgMonkeypod grows on the
                islands.....the only issue the wood is so massive that you have to someone bring it to your place via a crane.....that is people under the tree. A few of these flipped over in the park when we had that massive rain. The trunk at 9 ft (about 2.8 m) in diameter
                Last edited by DiLeon; 03-29-2019, 09:14 PM.
                . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

So the branch wood is used also? One wide tree and I read the tree can get 70 feet tall but only a few feet in diameter. The tree is about as beautiful as the wood.
                  Bill
                  Living among knives and fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post

The drawing had crabs running down the beach and boobie birds in the sky....owner wanted only nature no animals.... which ruined my composition plans..... I kept asking you sure no animals??? Yes, yes...no animals.... Would have look ten times better with the crabs and birds....oh well.....what ever...LOL
                    That's the thing about commissions...you have to give 'em what they want regardless of the aesthetics. But. they are the paying client, and artists have to eat, too.
                    Arthur

Comment

Working...
                    X