Visitor Yesterday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor Yesterday

We do not get a lot of visitors back here in Whooping Hollow. So the arrival of each is exciting. Some more than others.

Yesterday afternoon, Diana was straightening up our pantry. She looked up to see a visitor watching her through the glass in the back door. He was about 4 feet away and close enough to have left nose prints on the door.

She called me to get a pic and we were lucky that he went on around the house and down to the pond. The sow that lives up at the end of the cove may not be so welcoming.

Sunnie, last weekend, decided to allow her pot-belly pig to roam the area during the day. This no longer seems to be a good idea.

The bear appears to be a yearling, shedding, and recently out of hibernation.
    IMG_0843.jpg

Nice event, Paul. Anytime you can get safely close to nature's creatures it is a wonderful thing. There are umors of bears around here but never saw any. Do have deer I talk to though...certainly safer and gentler than a bear.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

The largest threat of wildlife here in the "Holler" seems to be to our pets. Starting with the ones that are perhaps threatening to humans are coyotes, bobcats and black bears. But, we also have owls and hawks that are capable and have taken small dogs and cats.

I have walked these woods off and on for half a century and quite frequently for almost a quarter of a century. I have seen the occasional coyote "out there" ~ but not bobcats and bears. I have seen their tracks ~ found bear hair in fences ~ examined bear scrapes on trees (which can indicate size) ~ and have been close enough to bears to smell them. Bears stink!

Anyone hiking these hills considers themselves lucky to observe wild animals. Generally, they are aware of you and either leave or hide ~ long before you see them.
      Isolation.JPG

Comment

"shedding, and recently out of hibernation." A.K.A. hungry! Paul, you share a beautiful area with lots of locals, just be careful and quick!

Comment

That is one shaggy bear, looks hungry. Stay out of her/his reach my friend and don't let it surprise you, or you may end up as bear crap! And that just wouldn't do! Would cut into your carving time.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

What beautiful country, I can see why you have many visitors, all types
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
            X