Well, I did it! You can't fix stupid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I did it! You can't fix stupid.

I was trimming a few spots on the final piece of my folk nativity, cleaning up some fuzzies under he ear of a sheep...no need for my carving glove, just a few strokes of a gouge. Well, you guessed it, I pressed the gouge and the whole ear flew off! I managed to stop the gouge with my index finger, decorating my bench, pants, shoes and floor with large, red polka dots. My wife drove me ( she wouldn't look at my finger, she would have fainted ) to the walk-in clinic, and I now have my finger decorated with six stitches...the doc asked when my last tetanus shot was, but I couldn't remember which decade that was, so I enjoyed that, too.

Guess I learned my lesson about wearing my glove...for the time being, anyway.
    Arthur

At least it had been long enough you couldn’t remember the last shot! That’s got to be a good sign right.

Comment

Once again. Experience is a pretty good teacher.
      Brian T

Comment

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the stitches. The other day I jabbed myself pretty good with a gouge . . . through the glove. The glove's index finger is now a nice shade of red. Those gloves are great for knives . . . but gouges just laugh at them.

Comment

Sounds serious Arthur. A little Southern Comfort may help a little. Be safe, Tom
          If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Hope it heals thoroughly and quick, Arthur. I suspect we all have stories like that and I do. Sharp knives and chisels don't show any mercy on our occasional lapses of judgment. Almost like they wait for it...
            Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

Comment

Remember,,NO DNA, folks. and I always have that stab covering CA glue to help hold it while I get the bride to put on 3-4 band aids..on after she wakes up And Arthur, please get well soon.. Chuck
              Last edited by NoDNA; 12-10-2019, 06:38 PM. Reason: Get well
              Chuck
              Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Arthur I have learned my lesson every time I did not do what I knew I should and ended up with stitches on my left index finger , left thumb and palm. I am ashamed to say more than once. I have never cut my self when I thought safety before expedience. It has been a number for years with no cuts I am glad to say. All the lession finely got my attention along with the lack of feeling in the top half of that index finger after the last one. I am a slow learner.
                We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Arthur so sorry to hear, but yes just when you think it will only take a minute, that's when it generally happens, but I guarantee you will always remember this.
                  Mark N. Akers
                  My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                    Once again. Experience is a pretty good teacher.
                    You're right, Brian, but the tuition is pretty high!
                    Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Rontana View Post
                      Ouch! Sorry to hear about the stitches. The other day I jabbed myself pretty good with a gouge . . . through the glove. The glove's index finger is now a nice shade of red. Those gloves are great for knives . . . but gouges just laugh at them.
                      Gouges don’t laugh at my bench.
                      A7305F57-2CBC-4E71-A8AE-61B891FF1CA8.jpeg

Comment

Guess you have to look on the bright side∙∙∙∙At least you won't have to wear a guard on that finger for a while, hope you heal fast and it would interfere with your carving too much
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                        X